Seeking Advice on FJ40 Carburator Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

Im facing an issue with the Carb of my recently acquired FJ40. After some observations and suggestions from a fellow member, I've identified that my carburator is leaking gasoline. This wasn't initially apparent, but after running the engine for a warm-up as part of an oil cleaning flush, I noticed gasoline slowly dripping down along the carburator's body.

The leak seems to be originating from somewhere around the backside of the two shafts of the second throttle or perhaps where the carburator mounts to the manifold? Given that I discovered splashes of fuel residue, it indicates that the problem may have been ongoing for a while.

As I'm fairly new to car restorations and carburator mechanics, I'm hesitant to dismantle the whole thing without some action plan. To give you a better idea of the situation, I've attached several images showing the area of the leak. Could anyone with experience in carburator issues point me in the right direction?

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this leak more accurately or advice on whether it's a common issue with an easy fix would be incredibly valuable. I'm all ears for recommended approaches, parts, or sealing techniques that could resolve this leakage problem.

photo_2023-11-02_20-03-48.jpg

photo_2023-11-02_20-03-50.jpg

photo_2023-11-02_20-03-58.jpg

photo_2023-11-02_20-04-01.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 09.21.33.png

It sort of looks stock to me, so its like getting nearly 50 years old no surprise it leaks. Collect all the numbers on carb/tags and also look in the book for the oem carb - compare. Then start looking for a carb kit - should have everything you need to put it back together after you take it apart and clean all passages and such.

Carb work isn't for sissy's. You need to pay attention to details like how many turns it takes for the idle and mixture screws, position of all the linkages.... Then there things like the screw in the butterfly could be staked or glued in (PIA to remove without damaging the head, requiring a new screw for reassembly. Some of those fitting can bond in over time - treat them with good stuff like Kano Kroil, maybe some mild heat and use flare fitting wrenches. Parts can be very small so good vision is IMPORTANT.

I have a Rochester 2 BBL on mine. The tag was gone when I got it in 82. Some time in the early 90's the accelerator pump froze - I took the carb apart and the leather cup of the pump was bonded to the side. I pried it loose and lubricated it with some US Army issue neatsfoot oil. Still works. I bought an 3l ultra sonic clean and a gallon of carb cleaner for it. I think its time to pull the carb apart and clean it properly. Amoron has a china copy of both my carb and Delco distributor for cheap less than $100 each last time I looked. I bought a jet cleaner set from them too.

@PidgeonGuggolo - Best way to get to know the Aisan Carb....PinHead simplified the process: Video #1 of 7 on YouTube. Many a MUD member has used these extremely helpful video's to rebuild their carb.

Worth rebuilding it regardless; be methodical and you’ll succeed. But perhaps it’s something simple. Did you try tightening (a bit) the two bolts on the bowl that are below and to the left and right of the sight glass? I think they’re 15mm… not positive. They’re in the area of that leak and can be used to drain the fuel from the bowl.

Check if gasoline is dripping out of the primary or secondary nozzle and forming a pool at the bottom of the intake manifold. I don’t know if Switzerland uses oxygenated or ”reformulated” fuel, but it is common in the US. It has a higher surface tension, so it tends to wick or creep out of the bowl and drip from the nozzles on to the throttle plates, where it seeps out along the shaft. It can also seep out of the idle circuit. There is not much you can do with this as carburetors were not designed to work with oxygenated fuel.

If it is not seeping out on the bottom of the manifold, then it could be a gasket leak, so you might as well rebuild it and make sure that the vacuum secondary is working. Check the tightness of the manifold -head bolts and nuts because vacuum leaks are a common problem.

Watch the Pinhead vids and clean a good workspace to organize all the little parts and pieces then tear that thing down. Anyone can do it if they take their time and are meticulous. I have a small leak from the same butter shaft but yours looks worse, if its dripping gas all the way to the exhaust manifold that's a problem and the rebuild may not solve it. You may want to hunt for another carb of similar vintage to rebuild.

Hi All

Ok so i figured out what model it is now. So i can order the kit.

I did clean everything with the steam cleaner and some grease remover. Then i was driving around for about 20mins. It looks like its not really leaking. Maybe it was because of the choke beeing pulled for too long? Anyways i get the Kit and then when i dissassemble the FJ i will check the intake manifold for a buildup. If i there is a buildup i know its time to do the deed. First i will clean it though. Its also quite rusty. Probably when cleaning i replace a few gaskets.

Thanks so much for the help guys. I learn so much daily with this car. Such a pleasure to have it :D

CarbNoLeakage2.jpg

CarbNoLeakage.jpg

CarbTypeNumber.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom