Advance Adapters Saginaw Installation Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am currently trying to install the advance adapters power steering conversion kit and a J20 Saginaw box onto my 1976 FJ40. I am having problem lining the adapter plate and box up that also leaves clearance between the box and the OME shackle and shackle bolts. There seems to be no way I can place the box that will allow both top bolts to be installed through the frame rail and also have the bottom forward bolt not hit against the suspension shackle fixed mount on the frame. If I try and bring the assembly down and in to have the bottom bolt clear the bottom of the suspension mount, then the aft part of the saginaw box hits on the inside shackle. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Here are some pics. I've searched for every pic I can find and I'm not seeing any that show my situation.

IMG_9344.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

IMG_9348.jpg

notch the front spring hanger to allow that bottom front bolt to go in.

your cutting the part that starts to taper back down, just enough to clear the head of the bolt and use a wrench to put it back. that last bolt lands right on the angle of the hanger IIRC.. I notched mine when i had my crawler. I snapped the bolts on the saginaw box but never broke the spring mount.

your cutting the part that starts to taper back down, just enough to clear the head of the bolt and use a wrench to put it back. that last bolt lands right on the angle of the hanger IIRC.. I notched mine when i had my crawler. I snapped the bolts on the saginaw box but never broke the spring mount.
Gotcha, sounds good. I appreciate the response.

Shouldn’t the steering box be more level? I thought having it angled was something to avoid.

At first I didn’t understand the question. Your post made it clear. I notched my shackle hanger too. No issues.

And sleeve the frame. Use dom tube thru the top holes so you dont crush the frame tightening the bolts.

Hey Kyle, Hope did it work out? I am having the same issue. I have notched the shakle and ground the bolt to just engough to weld the bolt to the shakle. I have clearance but it is soo tight I am concerned about flex.

Nah, thats where they sit, mine was same way, almost identical to the pics above, that top shackle bolt/nut is close but it works. Yes, notch the inside support of spring hanger to clear that box mount bolt.

I found a smaller saginaw box, gonna make this alot easier to fit. Smaller box is 27-6537
20221130_181342.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom