Adding winch to Non-Winch ARB, need photos or good comments. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found this pic with the bumper off. Not really easy to see but you can see the winch plate (I got it from Harbor Freight) that the winch is mounted to. I had to cut the ends down a bit to fit between the bumper uprights. You could also choose to put the plate at the bottom of the frame brackets if you want the winch to sit a little lower but putting it on top of the frame brackets like I did worked fine and put the line in a good place where it exited the bumper.
IMG_2183 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Is the top of the center section open on your bumper?

I welded a universal winch mount to the top of the frame mount sections of the bumper Worked really well. I don't have it anymore but it worked well and is getting used on another truck now. It's maybe a little better to have the winch mount to the front of the bumper so that the forces on the bolts are in the stretch plane rather than shear, but it would take some additional bracing to do it well. The plate between the frame horns like I did was simple and effective.

Sorry I don't have pics of the winch cradle.
IMG_9304 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
thanks for the post bro

Here's mine... I used the universal winch mounting plate from Harbor Freight and welded it to the inside of the bumper rails. The front of the winch plate butts up against the entire length of the inside of the bumper so it makes it very solid IMHO:

47560352741_2c33fed431_k.jpg

40545010763_0f341cc108_k.jpg

46644748725_1b1a38cce5_k.jpg

Here's mine... I used the universal winch mounting plate from Harbor Freight and welded it to the inside of the bumper rails. The front of the winch plate butts up against the entire length of the inside of the bumper so it makes it very solid IMHO:

47560352741_2c33fed431_k.jpg

40545010763_0f341cc108_k.jpg

46644748725_1b1a38cce5_k.jpg
That's exactly how I did mine. Your pictures show it better.

This is some great info. I entertained this option with my old non-winch ARB and got a lot of push-back regarding whether the bumper could handle the load. This implementation method appears solid and looks clean.

I can't believe you guys only posted this today. I was about to tackle this job this weekend, but on my 2000 HZJ78R Troopy. Fitting a winch and will copy exactly the 80 Series above images. Perfect! Cheers!

PS: Have you guys (Jeff and Box Rocket) used your winches in anger with this design? Great to know it holds up.

Last edited:
Found this pic with the bumper off. Not really easy to see but you can see the winch plate (I got it from Harbor Freight) that the winch is mounted to. I had to cut the ends down a bit to fit between the bumper uprights. You could also choose to put the plate at the bottom of the frame brackets if you want the winch to sit a little lower but putting it on top of the frame brackets like I did worked fine and put the line in a good place where it exited the bumper.
IMG_2183 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
Sorry for such a late response lol, but thanks for the reply and pictures. Have you used the winch and how is it holding up? Got some free time with this whole Covid crap so will be tackling this soon.

Here is mine that I converted. The control box is mounted inside one of the bumper wings and I used a extension chord with the remote plug only being seen. The bottom center vent support had to be cut out and flipped to clear the comeup cross support. The harbor freight winch bracket I chopped up a lot. I cut it at the 90 degree bend and rewelded it back on so the hawse to winch clearance was more snug. I also welded braces to the hf mount so it also has bolts mounting it to the arb frame horn plates. The arb center section of the bumper should be stronger than a stock arb now.
20190904_085206.jpg
20190930_184958.jpg
20191011_221959.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for such a late response lol, but thanks for the reply and pictures. Have you used the winch and how is it holding up? Got some free time with this whole Covid crap so will be tackling this soon.
Have used the winch a lot. I have a different bumper now but still used it fairly regularly with the ARB bumper. These two recoveries probably don’t look too intense but the suction was severe and made for challenging winching. But the bumper worked great and confirmed my opinion about the ComeUp winches being very good products.

3525740D-421C-448A-942A-64BDFCA3D83A.jpeg

7A4BC630-A282-43C2-AF9E-12A9C04F132D.jpeg

0F3F2EE1-FC21-4122-B207-8297B6D40B29.jpeg

5FCC0927-6881-40CC-A630-251E8F75A2CC.jpeg

E72412FB-746B-4525-8E5F-FD512B97407F.jpeg

Here is mine that I converted. The control box is mounted inside one of the bumper wings and I used a extension chord with the remote plug only being seen. The bottom center vent support had to be cut out and flipped to clear the comeup cross support. The harbor freight winch bracket I chopped up a lot. I cut it at the 90 degree bend and rewelded it back on so the hawse to winch clearance was more snug. I also welded braces to the hf mount so it also has bolts mounting it to the arb frame horn plates. The arb center section of the bumper should be stronger than a stock arb now.
View attachment 2305797View attachment 2305798View attachment 2305799
Thank you for the pictures and info

Have used the winch a lot. I have a different bumper now but still used it fairly regularly with the ARB bumper. These two recoveries probably don’t look too intense but the suction was severe and made for challenging winching. But the bumper worked great and confirmed my opinion about the ComeUp winches being very good products.

View attachment 2305990
View attachment 2305989

View attachment 2305993

View attachment 2305995

View attachment 2305996
Epic recovery. Thank you for the pics. Will be doing this soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom