Adding A/c Condenser Fan to 03+ LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@LandCruiserPhil offers a great kit for this, which is hands down much more painless than what I'm about to explain below, however, you could do the wiring like I did and still use his kit.

Here is the original thread: How to get peak AC performance from your 2003+ 100 series

I needed a hands-off method of activating the A/c condenser fan retrofitted from 98-02 100 series. I bought a used fan off a '02 on ebay. If you go this route make sure ALL mount bushings are included, unlike this one shown below.

IMG_20180717_095749.jpg

It took about 10 minutes to mount the fan. On the LX, access is much easier and all you have to do is take off the horns. I chose not to drill the hole on the frame for a side-mount bracket. The fan seems solidly mounted with the other 3 points. There might be a fatigue crack on the plastic at some point, but I guess we'll see.

For the wiring, pulling the A/c pressure switch connector off revealed that it has 4 pins, whereas the connector itself has plugs in 2 of the locations. With a multimeter and a/c running on a hot day it was pretty easy to see the other two pins close when the blower starts blowing hot (ish). This shows the connector with the plugs in.

download_20180714_155705.jpg

Luckily the 2 pins are available as pigtails from Toyota for the princely sum of $15. Now its just a matter of adding a relay harness to switch the fan on instead of from the cab : Fully Automatic operation! Part #82998-12270
IMG_20180714_131833.jpg

Connector with pins added. The pigtails are just a push fit, but make sure you push them in oriented correctly.
IMG_20180714_132442.jpg

Last edited:
I could have built a harness quite easily but with a big trip coming up time is getting harder to find. So I just bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014OS8E7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its a simple relay harness, you cut off the crappy switch they send you and wire that end to the A/c pressure switch terminals (polarity does not matter). I mounted the relay harness like below, you can barely see the relay under all the main cables coming off the fusible link box behind the battery +ve terminal - its mounted to an existing wiring support bracket. There is a handy ground next to the main fuse box. The fuse box is ziptied to the existing main ground cable.

IMG_20180727_130023.jpg

IMG_20180726_192244.jpg

I routed the pressure switch wiring through the firewall grommet next to the battery and into the DS fender, then down to the switch. I cut off the plugs that are supposed to go to the light-bar and then used marine-grade butt connectors at both ends.

IMG_20180727_125950.jpg

The finished product, works almost exactly like OE. Assuming the relay is of reasonable quality, this should be good for several years.
IMG_20180727_130000.jpg

Thanks for the write up. In fact I was looking at the AC pressure switch and wondered why it has 4 wires.... not any more!

Happy to report this solved my poor a/c performance issue!!

Aux fan and modded fan clutch are good ways to help get as much performance from your A/C as is possible (assuming all else is working well).

Good job!

Is there a "higher performance" fan one can install for the 100 series for areas like FL where the heat and humidity is ridiculously high 8 months of the year? I assume moving more air over the condenser in traffic will make things a little cooler when sitting in a jam in the heat of the asphalt and other car's exhaust..

Is there a "higher performance" fan one can install for the 100 series for areas like FL where the heat and humidity is ridiculously high 8 months of the year? I assume moving more air over the condenser in traffic will make things a little cooler when sitting in a jam in the heat of the asphalt and other car's exhaust..

Not anything 'plug & play' but there are many aftermarket fans (some 2 speed) that could be adapted. You just have to pick one that will fit in the space you have and do some 'mounting'.

'Derale' makes good fans that are High Output.

Happy to report this solved my poor a/c performance issue!!
I have Phil's kit but think I'd prefer to wire like yours. My pressure switch has 4 pins, so appears straight-forward enough. In looking at the 80's owners that have done this, it seems that the fan runs after the car is turned off if temp/pressures are high enough. Does the 100 series do the same?

In Phil's kit it doesn't run after I turn the car off. I imagine it could be wired up to do it, though.

There are number of ways an Aux fan can be wired. The factory version uses the pressure switch (Trinary Switch) to acheive that, so when the high side line sees a certain pressure...it comes on, then goes off when that pressure is less (at a certain point). So yes..it might 'run on' for several seconds (or up to a minute or so) after the vehicle/AC is shut off as the two sides equalize.

I have Phil's kit but think I'd prefer to wire like yours. My pressure switch has 4 pins, so appears straight-forward enough. In looking at the 80's owners that have done this, it seems that the fan runs after the car is turned off if temp/pressures are high enough. Does the 100 series do the same?

it does run without IGN on sometimes if ambient temp is high enough. But that's how the OEM wires it so it should not be a big deal. I like not having to worry about babysitting another switch.

Is this the connector that you are looking for?

Not anything 'plug & play' but there are many aftermarket fans (some 2 speed) that could be adapted. You just have to pick one that will fit in the space you have and do some 'mounting'.

'Derale' makes good fans that are High Output.
Do you know of a specific product that will work in the Hundy? The more air over the compressor at idle the better in this heat!

Do you know of a specific product that will work in the Hundy? The more air over the compressor at idle the better in this heat!

I haven't looked into it that far. I've only decided that when my OEM fails....I will probably replace it with a Derale 2 speed fan. Do the same thing for my 80 series when it goes. I'll have to fab up mounts for it...but how hard could that be?

There are number of ways an Aux fan can be wired. The factory version uses the pressure switch (Trinary Switch) to acheive that, so when the high side line sees a certain pressure...it comes on, then goes off when that pressure is less (at a certain point). So yes..it might 'run on' for several seconds (or up to a minute or so) after the vehicle/AC is shut off as the two sides equalize.
Just curious. Is the pressure switch changeable without discharging the ac system? Some have a Shrader valve to allow this.
Thanks,
Dave

Just curious. Is the pressure switch changeable without discharging the ac system? Some have a Shrader valve to allow this.
Thanks,
Dave

Unfortunately, on our 100 series it requires evacuating the system. I haven't looked into it....but I imagine there is a procedure for testing the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom