Added power rear vent windows in my GX470. First world problem solved! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally finished my rear quarter window install. Got too busy last summer, but finally had time this last weekend. I was originally going to use the Sienna switch route -- I posted that pic w/ the wiring and the grinding. But, changed my mind. Really didn't want to grind up the switch console plate. I also found that "partially opened" doesn't do much for airflow -- seems like they work best when they're fully opened. And, wanted it to function more like the other windows with the 'auto' open/close function.

So, I wired up a 'window computer' with an old Arduino board and the relay cluster I was going to use anyway. I had both rear plastic panels off anyway because I decided to replace the leaky/shiny window trim, which effectively requires the removal of the quarter class (and easier with the plastic out of the way). Plus, made it much easier to Dremel the opening to make room for the motor.

Anyway, while I was in there, I removed the relatively useless ac inverter and repurposed the case and the pcb to hold my new rear quarter window controller. Now, I just press the repurposed AC power inverter button up front to open and release to close. It takes about 2.5 seconds for the motors to cycle, so the controller knows to apply power long enough to open/close without overdoing it, so I don't have to hold the button down. I didn't have to wire anything up front, and since I already had auxiliary switched fused power in the rear, was able to reuse most of the inverter wiring harness (just had to move a few pins around). Works great, glad this project is finally done, will enjoy for the summer.

I also posted pics of the motor installed, both with and without the plastic trim. I found that I had to create a very small washer to fit inside the motor arm piece that connects to the glass. Otherwise, you can't fully tighten the arm to the glass w/o some play -- the screw bottoms out on the square insert on the glass. Hard to explain. Probably won't make much difference, but I wanted everything snug. Otherwise, the motor is an easy bolt in replacement for the manual arm. And, I didn't measure how much trim to cut off to fit the motor, but it's a bunch. If you do take the trim off, you can remove and then reuse the fabric around the cut edge -- I just reattached the fabric with a hot glue gun, seems to work pretty well.

Someone asked if it should be fused. These motors draw a surprisingly low amount of power -- less than 100ma when running and they spike about 500ma when locked. So, 2 amps is way more than they'll ever need. The relays are really only needed to change polarity -- not to switch the load. It's more about the wiring capacity. I have mine connected to a 10amp fused ignition line in the rear (it runs a few different things), but the wires are 18 gauge, plenty for that fuse. In other words -- make sure the wire supports the fuse. I did change the fuse in the fusebox for the inverter circuit, it's now just 5 amps, still plenty to signal the computer.

So, I've still got both of my test Sienna switches -- have the old style square, and the newer round style. The square was untouched, but the round was ground down to fit the switch slot. If someone wants one, just need to pay for postage from Oregon. I posted a pic of the switch in a prior post.
View attachment 2323038

View attachment 2323043View attachment 2323052

View attachment 2323053
Looks good! I'm wanting to do this but haven't had the time. going to do a lot of wiring this spring (dual batteries, run power to the rear for amp/fridge, new stereo) might throw this in with it... I could actually pick up a switch or two in a couple weeks, I'll be in Portland in a couple weeks for a VA Appointment

I bought this switch but haven’t searched out the wiring diagram yet. I really need to just start working on the install but family has been keeping me busy

View attachment 2227076
Bumping this thread with the wiring diagram for this switch and how it has to be dremeled down to fit.
I didn't test for illumination.

switch.png

IMG_9241.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

If anyone needs a Land Cruiser switch for this mod, I have a few of them.

I just read through this whole thread and still have quite a few questions about this install. Maybe I missed it somehow but I didn't see a single wiring diagram that breaks down exactly how this whole system gets wired up. I see partial diagrams for the relays and for the switches but nothing showing how it all goes together. I'm also confused about why we need to use two relays if we're combining the window operation to one switch. Can't both windows run off one relay? I have the motors, switch, relays, etc. but I don't know where to begin with the wiring. Can someone who has done this before break it down? The Arduino install was very detailed but anything Arduino is way above my head. I'm going with the OEM Sienna switch, if I can get this wiring figured out.

I just read through this whole thread and still have quite a few questions about this install. Maybe I missed it somehow but I didn't see a single wiring diagram that breaks down exactly how this whole system gets wired up. I see partial diagrams for the relays and for the switches but nothing showing how it all goes together. I'm also confused about why we need to use two relays if we're combining the window operation to one switch. Can't both windows run off one relay? I have the motors, switch, relays, etc. but I don't know where to begin with the wiring. Can someone who has done this before break it down? The Arduino install was very detailed but anything Arduino is way above my head. I'm going with the OEM Sienna switch, if I can get this wiring figured out.

Two relays are needed because the motors operate with reversed polarity... so positive and negative are applied to open the windows, then flipped to close the window. This is pretty typical of how power windows operate on other vehicles.

The exact wiring could vary depending on the switch used. I used an LX switch -- others have used a Sienna switch. Pair what I posted in post #97 and the wiring diagram (or probe with a multimeter) of your switch and that should be enough to put it together.

Thanks @binaryaudax, I appreciate the help. I’m using a Sienna switch. The diagrams in the thread tell me there are three wires used, pins 3, 7 & 8. In the switch diagram, it doesn’t say what each of those three wires actually are. And in the diagram in post 97, I only see one wire going to the switch from the relay circuit. So I’m confused about which wire to hook up to the relays and what the other two wires get hooked up to.

Thanks @binaryaudax, I appreciate the help. I’m using a Sienna switch. The diagrams in the thread tell me there are three wires used, pins 3, 7 & 8. In the switch diagram, it doesn’t say what each of those three wires actually are. And in the diagram in post 97, I only see one wire going to the switch from the relay circuit. So I’m confused about which wire to hook up to the relays and what the other two wires get hooked up to.
I am researching this for my project (power rear window on FJ Cruiser)....so please correct me if I am wrong!

I believe what you do is run 12V power to pin3. Then run your other two (ground) wires from the switch to the #85 spots on your two relays. One of these grounds comes from pin7, and one from pin8.

My other assumption - pin9 which is usually the switch ground....is left unused.

You are just directing the power sent to pin3 to one of two ground paths (pin7/8) to operate the motor either direction the switch "says".

Last edited:
....so please correct me if I am wrong!
I am researching this for my project (power rear window on FJ Cruiser)....so please correct me if I am wrong!

I believe what you do is run 12V power to pin3. Then run your other two (ground) wires from the switch to the #85 spots on your two relays. One of these grounds comes from pin7, and one from pin8.

My other assumption - pin9 which is usually the switch ground....is left unused.

You are just directing the power sent to pin3 to one of two ground paths (pin7/8) to operate the motor either direction the switch "says".

Confirmed. Works beautifully.

Worked on this a bit today. I didn't like the sideways text on the LC switch, so I made some new labels. These work with the backlight, I have a few extras if anyone wants one I'll mail them for $5.

20230513_123834.jpg
20230513_131626.jpg

I have 2 of those LC switches if anyone is in need.

These are the two that I followed. Worked perfectly.
Hi, I'm trying to complete this project with the sienna switch. Just trying to make sure I have this right before I start any fires... Is pin 3 connected to ground? And no pins from the switch are powered correct? Just 12v to pins 86 & 87a on the relays? Thanks

Hi, I'm trying to complete this project with the sienna switch. Just trying to make sure I have this right before I start any fires... Is pin 3 connected to ground? And no pins from the switch are powered correct? Just 12v to pins 86 & 87a on the relays? Thanks
Sorry, pin 87 on relays are 12v. 87a is to Ground?

This is a great idea.
Does anyone know if this would work with the shock adj. portion of the switch? I still have the air springs on my GX.

Here is a much simplified way to wire these motors direct to the Sienna switch. No relays required. Found this diagram on the Facebook GXOR group and haven’t seen it posted here. I take no credit just adding it to the resources in this thread. I completed my install using this method and all works perfectly.

IMG_3761.jpeg

I still have 2 LC 100 switches if anyone is in need.

Nice find on the connector numbers. I gave up and just made up deutsche connectors. These are cheaper and easier. Oh well... mine are waterproof. I also just wasted 5 minutes looking at toyota connectors incrementally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom