Accessory Fuse Block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently looking to fix up the rats nest the PO did on the wiring to the 97 I purchased. What has everyone used for the fuse blocks? I am currently looking at the Blue Sea Systems, but also saw a fabricated panel from Overlander yet it doesn't appear they have a specific one for 80's. Any recommendations along with pics of mounting locations would be great.

Thanks

Blue sea block mounted to pass seat bracket. Will try and find pic.

Carpet is outcurrently but it covers all wires.

20220111_121946.jpg

blue sea on the fire-wall.
lYsBiCml.jpg

UQwOIrbl.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Sea Aux Block for the win! Mount. Mount anywhere under hood with a fuse close to the battery..

I use Bussman fuse/relay boxes. 5 relays, 10 fuses. Mini fuses and relays.
Relay-Fuse-Box-Bussed-Uses-Mini-Fuses-and-Micro-Relays.jpg

Here is a great thread on how to build one out and all the part numbers you can want along with sources

switch pro ftw

or you can be a baller and get a factory fuse block. With it, you can salvage the pins from it and pin more fuses into the OEM block OR just repin the entire spare block to be used as your auxiliary fuse block which is what I did.

Added benefits are first off all of my auxiliary aftermarket goodies are isolated in their own fuse panel, so I'm not ****ing with the meat and potatoes of what makes the cruiser reliable, secondly, if I need spare relays or fuses I can take them from the Aux block and get myself home.

If you go this route you need to plan it out very methodically, size your wires, fuses, fusible link (or breaker) correctly, I'd highly suggest using deutsch connectors and color-coded wires so you can make your own auxiliary EWD.
df388379-4efd-4ab7-8e52-4e9dffa36f1f-jpeg.1979029

img_1296-jpeg.1989967

p2-jpeg.1994978

Click here to navigate to my build where I detail this

I am looking for a solution to hard wire a bunch of low draw cockpit electronics so watching this thread, was just going to jump the accessory fuse box off one of the spare ACC fuses on the main panel. I have an old parking assist system attached over the ABS unit so will put the new fuse box in its place

Yup. But crazy amount less of wire time and nothing to worry about switches, or fuses, or relays.

I’ve done PLENTY of fuse blocks in my tribe and those hours are better spent elsewhere.
are you saying that in your experience you'd go with a Switch Pros every time over a fuse panel like a Blue Sea 5032? i see the advantages of a SP for when switching of the loads is actually required. but not all loads need to be switchable or run through their own relay; 12v/USB accessory outlets or mobile radios come to mind. i see in the documentation that each load has a memory setting, so the default off condition can instead be set to on with ign/acc on so that helps overcome manually turning on plugs scattered throughout the cabin.

i too am planning out an accessory setup and am on the fence about a "traditional" 12 fuse panel or a SP. i've been leaning towards a 12 fuse panel w/ 2 banks like the Blue Sea 5032, with 6 fuses hot at all times and 6 acc switched through a large 125A relay; to be installed in my center console. i haven't tallied up the costs, but by the time i buy all the wire, terminals, deutsch/weatherpack connectors, fuses, etc i'll probably be near the cost of a SP...that s*** nickels and dimes you to death! i actually don't have any lights to switch but if i get to it, a pair of driving lights or light bar and a pair of rear lights is as much as i need for what i do, and i planned to use the OE blanks to locate those switches.

I used the blue sea block on the pass seat exactly for the reasons mentioned above. I ran one large guage wire through the firewall to the fuse block and then from there i ran multiple wires to usb ports, ham radio, arb fridge plug. I don't need a switch to run those and you would still have to wire each one of those to the switch pro so its not an advantage. I might feel different if I was wiring items in front of the fire wall and wanted to run them from the cab like lights.

I put a Blue Sea under the shifter console. I put two Blue Sea USB chargers above the rear vent in the center console. It also powers a small amp in the rear and a few other things.

Added benefits are first off all of my auxiliary aftermarket goodies are isolated in their own fuse panel, so I'm not f***ing with the meat and potatoes of what makes the cruiser reliable, secondly, if I need spare relays or fuses I can take them from the Aux block and get myself home.
This is should be the basis for all electrical mods...don't muck about with the factory wiring.
I know its how I operate. Just safer that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom