AC refurbish HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As more of these enter the US, I'm sure they will have the same problems I'm encountering. So hopefully this discussion will be a future source of info. The AC hasn't worked since I bought it and the PO had no info about the system's history, so I'm starting from scratch.

'90 JDM 1HDT RHD. The AC controls are buttons, not sliders, with the 'auto' feature. It has a center console cooler (of course doesn't work). It does not have a rear AC, as far I have investigated.

I have used the FSM to test the system, but the FSM has discrepancies that I can only attribute to the origin, early make and RHD.

Here's what I've found:
1. there is no very little refrigerant, about 3psi
2. the system draws negative pressure when the clutch/compressor engages
3. the mag clutch engages with voltage applied
4. there is no signal/voltage going the the magnetic clutch
5. the mag clutch relay works with volts, 77ohms across the coils 1-3, no ohms on 2-4 when open
6. the "AC amplifier" is not getting any voltage except on term#14. This connector is for the dual AC, but I one have single and the wire slots are blank. JDM difference?
7. the controller switches all check out

Diagnosis:
- Compressor works, not sure how well
- mag clutch relay works
- there is a leak. Maybe there was a rear AC and it was removed and capped improperly?
- no electricity is getting to the stuff that needs it. This may be because of the "triple pressure switch" that is sensing a lack of pressure and shuts off the power to magnetic clutch to protect the compressor. Just a guess.

Solutions?
At this point, I've checked the electrical stuff and it needs pressure in the system before I can check much more. Perhaps that will engage the tri-press-switch and allow the mag clutch to engage. I'm hoping there isn't a bug in the electrical system and it's a matter of adding freon.

I'll let you know how it goes and of course I welcome input!

Thanks

First step is always recharging the system and going from there. That has cured 99% of all A/C issues I have fixed. After that it's pressure switches and compressors on the rare occasion. If it's low the system will not turn the compressor on because the refrigerant has the compressor oil in it and running the compressor without it can lock it up.

Charge it with dye and look for a leak.

There was no rear AC. Likely just a leak.

Replace the drier and have a shop evacuate/charge the system with refrigerant with dye/check for leaks

We added 1.5lb (3/4 of the total) of juice and the system has 108psi. The mag clutch still got no voltage, so we hot wired it for a bit.

The system cooled air, but the clutch/compressor sounds noisy and gets up terribly hot. Probably needs a rebuild, if a kit exists. It also appeared that the clutch was slipping as it got hot up. Even if I replace the compressor, the clutch is still not getting juice.

I tested the triple-press-sw and didn't get continuity. I don't understand the FSM diagram, so I'm not sure if that's correct.

The AC amplifier was tested and it's not getting any electricity either, per the FSM.

I suppose the next step is to start testing continuity from the clutch on back.

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram for this system? I'm not too sure I trust the one I am using.

No 80 comes with fridge and no rear AC that I've seen, it may come with dual AC's and no fridge (like mine), or only front AC, but again, never with front and fridge...there has to be a leak somewhere...mine has a leak in the line that goes to the rear evaporator unit, that is making me consider removing the rear AC, also, as general knoledge, your compressor is a PA17 I have found that it is the same as in certain model Tucson...

Sounds to me that you are in way over your head in an AC diagnosis and you should take it to someone that knows how to repair the system.

Mine was low and I removed all the AC components and installed all new o rings and reciever drier. Then you need to make sure that you evacuate and pull a vacuum on the system for about 40minutes to boil out the moisture. Then recharge.

Is the 108 on the high side or low side? There are sensors in the system that will shut it down if pressures are not correct to protect the compressor. 108 is too low on the high side and way too high on the low side if the compressor clutch is engaged.

Is the compressor the same with or without the fridge console?

Just had my system recharged. A/C blows ice cold from the vents, but the fridge is blowing out hot air. Any ideas? Anyone know where I should look for part numbers / parts for the fridge? -adam

Just had my system recharged. A/C blows ice cold from the vents, but the fridge is blowing out hot air. Any ideas? Anyone know where I should look for part numbers / parts for the fridge? -adam
Partsouq.com is a great site to cross reference part numbers and order out of market parts.

Every HDJ81 I've ever seen has a fridge and no rear AC.

VX LTD trim got the center console fridge in the HDJ81's, VX trim did not. Rear AC seems to be a middle eastern option.

VX LTD trim got the center console fridge in the HDJ81's, VX trim did not. Rear AC seems to be a middle eastern option.

FJ80's with a 3fE had them, quite possibly the FZZJ's also.... I would assume it came with the third row seat option.

Sounds to me that you are in way over your head in an AC diagnosis and you should take it to someone that knows how to repair the system.

Mine was low and I removed all the AC components and installed all new o rings and reciever drier. Then you need to make sure that you evacuate and pull a vacuum on the system for about 40minutes to boil out the moisture. Then recharge.

Is the 108 on the high side or low side? There are sensors in the system that will shut it down if pressures are not correct to protect the compressor. 108 is too low on the high side and way too high on the low side if the compressor clutch is engaged.

No doubt I am in over my head, but when you live in the middle of no where... And if I can find a mech who's any good he's too busy and I can't afford to pay for one to sort electrical issues.

An HVAC friend is helping with charging the system. There was a little left, which is why we skipped the vacuum step, and just added juice to test for leaks and see if pressure would cause the clutch to engage. We used the compressor to draw in fluid through the low pressure side (he did not have a fitting for the high pressure side) and built pressure slowly from 4-108psi until it was equalized across the system.

The A/C amplifier has 17 pins (the dual A/C amplifier according to AC12-13 and AC78 in the FSM), so I'm assuming I should be using the dual A/C wiring diagram on those pages? The single A/C has a 9 pin amplifier. When I tested the AC amp per page AC78, there is no power reaching the amp. I was hoping the added pressure would release whatever safeties are locking out the system, but no go.

Great clarification!

does anyone know if the compressor/clutch from a US model 80 will go into the JDM 81?

does anyone know if the compressor/clutch from a US model 80 will go into the JDM 81?

I'm sure I've seen guys using FJ60 AC compressors on HDJ81's, but I don't have a part # handy.

Edit: '89 FJ62 uses the same compressor per this thread:

Some ac help needed

Do you know if the ac compressor changes of you have a console fridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom