Builds DA Build, Story of the Blue HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its been several months since i started working on the "black hole in my garage that I throw money into" otherwise known as a 1990 HDJ81 VX Limited with 3x locking diffs and factory winch.
I figured I would start a thread that highlights the extremely emotional love/hate relationship one can have with an 80 series LC. The 1HDT engine only amplifies the drama in the relationship to "dating a stripper" status.

This is my 4th 80 series LC but the only one I have been able to build. I am a former Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician so I have the tools and abilities to perform all repairs in my garage at home.

I towed her home and took her straight to the DMV where it passed emissions and was titled without a glitch.

First thing first, running boards and the vent visors removed...
IMG_6163.JPG

I drove the truck a total of 30kms and parked it in my garage until I did a full inspection of the truck and made a list of all the items I was going to need.
Overall the 81 was in great shape but needed some base-lining and my goal of installing 35" tires on a 4" lift.

The internet shopping madness ensued with parts coming from all over the world.
The BEBs/rod bearings and bolts were the absolute first thing replaced.
John at Radd Cruisers set me up with the needed parts, I was happy to see the ones I removed were in pretty decent shape:

IMG_6523.JPG

And since I was in the engine I replaced the timing belt, idler pulley, and performed a valve adjustment, there were a few tight ones.
IMG_6276.JPG
IMG_6471.JPG

While waiting for the parts for the engine, I decided to overhaul the AC system, the 81 had been converted to R134A already but it was low on refrigerant. I disassembled the entire AC system and re-o ringed the entire AC system where I found the leak at the center console expansion valve o-ring. It was nice to see that the front evaporator and expansion valve were previously replaced...big money that I finally didn't have to spend. AC blows cold and icebox is working!!!
IMG_6296.JPG

The center console/icebox was looking pretty ragged so I opted for some SEM paint in Graphite to refinish the plastics
IMG_6547.JPG

The windows were moving slowly and the window runs were hard as a rock so I installed a brand new set of 4 window runs.
The sun visors were stiff and coming apart so those were also replaced.
Center AC vents were broken and flopping around so I replaced the center ac vents and numerous light bulbs that were burned out 11 in total...

Still waiting for engine parts soooo why not send the injectors out to be rebuilt...
IMG_6821.JPG

Injectors all got new tips and pressures set at DFIS in Portland OR. Forgot to get pics of the new tips...

Since I started on the injection system I opted to delete the automatic cold start device, ACSD, that everyone talks about using a Toyota factory plate and install a new fuel filter. I opened up the fuel tank to make sure that I did not have any algae blooms growing in the tank. I was glad to see it was all good. and reset the injection pump timing . A lot of diesel came out on that repair...
IMG_6404.JPG

IMG_6551.JPG

I'm in.....

So the drama continues... what lift do I go with, which shocks... and after driving myself mad I decided on the Ironman 4inch kit with brake lines, panhard rods, and foam cell pro shocks.... Done deal.
IMG_6204.JPG

Throw in some Toyota factory control arm bushings and the lift goes on.
IMG_6993.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

Time for some longer and safer jack stands...
IMG_7637.JPG

So you adjust your timing after ACSD removal ..?
Thats exactly how I did it. If you look at the repair manual you need to install a block to disable the acsd when adjusting timing. With it removed I just had to set the timing.

With the 4 inch lift I noticed an interference with the LSPV and upper control arm so thanks to members on here I turned it into a PV and left the load sensing portion out. I set it to about 95 percent engaged all the time now. 81 stops so much better but I still need to do more with the brakes. FYI I burned up 2 blades trying to cut that lspv arm so I used a carbide bit on a dremel to do the job.
IMG_7635.JPG

Ok so now the truck is rolling around with a 4 inch lift and 31/10.5 tires. Looks lame but it drives great. I do notice a lot of play in the front drive flanges and slapping noise on decel when driving.
Sure enough the front birfields and drive flanges are worn down so I opt to rebuild the knuckles and while I'm in there I might as well replace all the bearings, install longfields, and upgrade to the FZJ80 brakes and drive flanges. I am happy to report no more slapping noise on decel...

IMG_7436.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

Since I replaced all the front wheel bearings I may as well replace the rear wheel bearings and axle seals...
IMG_7634.JPG

With the new larger front brakes and calipers from an FZJ80 are installed the 15 inch wheels no longer fit. I am a big fan of the stock wheel and was lucky enough to score a set of LX450 wheels off craigslist. The wheels were slightly pitted and looking aged so I sanded them down to bare metal to primer coat them and then paint with Duplicolor wheel paint in graphite. I wrapped those in 315/75/r16 Cooper STT Pro tires.
IMG_7631.JPG
IMG_7630.JPG

This is where the project currently stands...
On the to do list:
1. Radiator
2. Front DC Driveshaft
3. All new heater hoses
4. Driver's lower seat foam
5. Spare tire and wheel. Does anyone have an extra lx450 wheel laying around?

I am happy to say that the diesel does well with 315s on it and there is plenty of power at stock settings.
Stock=longevity.
The ironman lift is sitting a bit stinkbug but needs more weight in the rear to bring it down.

IMG_7560.JPG
IMG_7578.JPG

While waiting for the parts for the engine, I decided to overhaul the AC system, the 81 had been converted to R134A already but it was low on refrigerant. I disassembled the entire AC system and re-o ringed the entire AC system where I found the leak at the center console expansion valve o-ring. It was nice to see that the front evaporator and expansion valve were previously replaced...big money that I finally didn't have to spend. AC blows cold and icebox is working!!!
View attachment 1348475

The center console/icebox was looking pretty ragged so I opted for some SEM paint in Graphite to refinish the plastics View attachment 1348474

The windows were moving slowly and the window runs were hard as a rock so I installed a brand new set of 4 window runs.
The sun visors were stiff and coming apart so those were also replaced.
Center AC vents were broken and flopping around so I replaced the center ac vents and numerous light bulbs that were burned out 11 in total...

Still waiting for engine parts soooo why not send the injectors out to be rebuilt...View attachment 1348476

Injectors all got new tips and pressures set at DFIS in Portland OR. Forgot to get pics of the new tips...

This is looking awesome! I brought in an HDJ81 from Canada back in March and am loving it, same color and even did the same Ironman lift as you. I was wondering how you feel about the Injector rebuild you had done? Price? I have been looking around for a good place but lots of shops are not familiar with these style of injectors. I live in bend so it wouldn't be too hard to get it to DFIS. Thanks

You are really going to town on this thing, great work!

This is looking awesome! I brought in an HDJ81 from Canada back in March and am loving it, same color and even did the same Ironman lift as you. I was wondering how you feel about the Injector rebuild you had done? Price? I have been looking around for a good place but lots of shops are not familiar with these style of injectors. I live in bend so it wouldn't be too hard to get it to DFIS. Thanks

I was pretty happy with DFIS, they were well aware of the dual stage injectors and had only had them down for about a week because they needed to get the new nozzles from Denso in California. Cost was right around $600. I was not having any issues with the injectors, I just wanted to have them rebuilt as a part of my OCD base-lining. They found that I had a few plugged injector holes and some "chattering" nozzles. The $600 included replacement of all new nozzles and setting the injector stages.

They did not have the correct o-rings or copper gaskets so I ordered them off of partsouq.com

You need to post some pics of your 81, I would like to compare them. I found that the Ironman lift is quite stiff in the back and sits a bit stinkbug... I need more weight back there.

Thanks for the info! I'm not having any problems with the injectors but am OCD as well and with a 26 year old vehicle figured it's a good thing to do. And yes the iron man lift had the same effect on mine although it's not as noticeable now as when i first put it on. I recently made some drawers for the back and that helped some. I'll post some pics tonight.. it's not going anywhere for a bit, snapped a drive belt yesterday. Going to change all the belts now.

@Crab Sack - Man, this is looking fantastic! I wish I lived closer to you (so I could borrow some SSTs and get some advice! ;) ) I think I will need to do a Valve adjustment and then the BEBs as well for piece of mind. How many miles are on your rig?

Are your castor correction plates part of the iron-man kit? I went with a 2.5 OME lift but haven't installed the castor correction bushings yet....I've heard it may be better to go with factory bushings and the plates instead. Do you happen to have experience with both (since you've had several LCs?

I dig the "stance" - it looks beefy and very stable!

@Crab Sack - Man, this is looking fantastic! I wish I lived closer to you (so I could borrow some SSTs and get some advice! ;) ) I think I will need to do a Valve adjustment and then the BEBs as well for piece of mind. How many miles are on your rig?

Are your castor correction plates part of the iron-man kit? I went with a 2.5 OME lift but haven't installed the castor correction bushings yet....I've heard it may be better to go with factory bushings and the plates instead. Do you happen to have experience with both (since you've had several LCs?

I dig the "stance" - it looks beefy and very stable!

Thanks,

For a 2.5 inch lift I would NOT go with the Ironman caster plates.
They are quite aggressive on the caster and are meant for a 4-6 inch lift.
I do like the quality and the ride of the factory bushings, but if I were in your shoes I would go with the caster adjusting bushings.
If you really wanted to keep the factory bushings I would look at doing the weld a washer plate mod that is not as aggressive as the plates or the MAF drop brackets.

The ironman lift is extremely stable even at high speeds and drives great on the road. I have a few more things I need to finish before taking it off the beaten path. So far I have only put about 1000kms on her.

Here is a few pics a took last weekend in the desert. Looking forward to seeing all your work.. wish I had those master Toyo mechanic skills you have;)

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

where did you get your ironman 4" kit? I'm going from the 2.5" to 4" probably the same exact one you got.....

I actually purchased the Ironman lift over the counter from Wilsonville Toyota in Wilsonville Oregon. They install the Ironman lifts on most of their new trucks so they were able to get me the lift at a good price since they do so much volume.

Nice build man! I can tell you certainly know what you're doing, lol. I hope to see ya around some time since we're local.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom