Some ac help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after a long weekend up the Elaho valley it looks like my AC compressor didnt like the dust much and has started to whine/scream ( almost as bad as the kids ;) ). After much searching it looks like it is best to replace the whole unit rather than just the clutch bearing and that brings me to my problem. The local suppliers cant get a compressor with the clutch ( 10pa15c or Denso # 4711433 ) so I could use some assistance if anyone knows of a Canadian supplier or a recommended supplier out of the USA I would be grateful. Also if anyone knows of a cheaper idler puller as the dealer wants :censor: , lets just say to much.
The truck is a 1992 HDJ81 but the compressor is the same as an 1989 FJ62 according to the research I have done.
Thanks in advance.

Andrew

The clutch bearing is only in operation when the AC pump is clutched out. If you have noise with the AC on, then it's not the bearing.

It screams when I engage the ac so I guess thats the compressor then? It squeaks when the ac is off and I can quite it down by spaying some lube into the idler so I am looking at servicing both those items.
Thanks for the replies I will give Coolstream a call in the morning and check locally to see if I can get the idler bearing replaced.
Located in Squamish BC if that helps.

Andrew

Well for everyone else needing an ac compressor Rex at Coolstream emailed me some #'s and they match my 1HDT so I will be ordering the compressor ( with clutch ) from Coolstream after the US May long weekend.
Denso # 471 1433 pulley diameter of 5.5" and centre of pulley to centre of front mounting bolt is about 66mm with a 12 volt clutch so I am in business. Thanks all for the links.
P.S. I aso ordered the pulley from Austalia. Less than 1/4 the price of Toyota Canada after shipping.
Andrew

Likely that your problem is just the idler bearing - nothing more. I always recommend starting with what is usual to wear out and the cheapest. On my Y60 Patrols all I did was press in new $8 bearings on the idler pulley. Both are still running Freon 12 in 20+ year old compressors and working fine.

The idler pulley is definately making noise but so is the compressor. I can quiet the compressor by turning off the ac and if I spray some lube on the idler the whole thing is quite. What I get from this ( from all the Mud help and search ) is that my idler needs replacing ( ordered ) and the compressor is on its way out ( please correct me if I am wrong). I can hold off on ordering the compressor but it sure seems like it needs work - not that I am an AC expert- if thats the concenssus.
Next project front and rear brakes. That going to hurt.:
thanks for the help.
Andrew

You could have got the idler out of the US from Onur or Dan.... hell even all your brake parts except the random dic brakes we have.... and Onur ships to the great white north.

I have also heard that if you get noises its from a low refrigerant level? but you are in good hands with Rex.

A few good shops around the lower mainland mentioned on here that do good A/C work on cruisers.

I replaced the bearing in my A/C idler pulley though it doesnt look like it can be replaced it surely can

R

I was unable to find a US crossover # so I went with the one out of Australia. Rex was very helpful and i think I will just order a new one since mine is now 20 years old and questionable. As for the brakes I will be ordering the parts from a mix of suppliers. Radd Cruisers, my local Napa ( for calipers due to the ease of returning the core ) and some stuff out of the States. Equal opportunity purchaser here. :)
I have some work on my baby ahead of me.
Thanks all for the help.
Andrew

I was unable to find a US crossover # so I went with the one out of Australia. Rex was very helpful and i think I will just order a new one since mine is now 20 years old and questionable.

Hey 20 years old aint old! :p

I just took the number from my EPC and punched it into toyotapartszone and it came up for 25$ or something. If your ever wondering about stuff don't hesitate to post up as there are many many guys here that will gladly pull up part numbers for you.

I try to spread out my purchases to help out the local shops but when it can be had for a good price across the line (Oi filters for example) you cant really go wrong, its sad but how can you justify over 55$ a filter up here.

Anywho good luck on the fix!

Well just thought I should update the results here. I replaced the idler pulley first to see if that was making all the noise but even after the new pulley it still made noise so I took it in to the AC place up here and they confirmed the compressor was the culprit.So anyone with the HDJ81 I can confirm that the AC compressor from an 1989 FJ62 bolts right in and the pulley matches up perfectly. The AC guy needed to adapt the single wire connector on the clutch for it to work. Nice and cold with no noise.
Thanks all for the help
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom