ABS on FJ80 - 1995 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced front calipers, pads and rotors and a brake line on the right front. I replaced pads and rotors in the rear. I went to bleed the system and couldn't get rid of the air. Started in the right rear, left rear, LSPV, couldn't get any of them to bleed without air. I blocked off the master cylinder and can identify that that is good, the brake pedal gets rock hard. But reconnecting to the ABS, its sponge city. I have been using a Harbor Freight Pneumatic vacuum bleeder unit connected to an air compressor. I have also tried the two person method. I tried jumping the ABS as in the attached photo from another thread here. I heard a motor and about three seconds, I had to disconnect because the relay (gray box on the back fender side ) was smoking. I am guessing the ABS is bad but is it the module or the pump...both? Anyone ever buy these used? I know there are a lot of folks disconnecting their ABS but I don't want to do that. Any thoughts?
abs.jpg

I bought a used one from land cruiser parts and installed it a few days ago. Supposed to be in working condition, but I won't have time to replace the LSPV and bleed the air until next weekend. 🤞🏻

Yeah...I tried the diy bleed process when I replaced the brake lines.
Ended up taking it to a brake shop where there is a machine and a dude.
Perfect bleed job (and flush with fresh for that matter) for a reasonable price (~$60) over an acceptable time frame (~40 mins).
I'll never screw with it myself again.
Highly recommend.

Vacuum bleeders won't work reliably on these trucks. I have no idea why.

You can either use the gravity method or use a pressure bleeder, it all depends on how much time you have and how big your pocketbook is.

Just finished jumping the ABS pump and thought of this... are you also supposed to crack the lines going into the pump? I assumed jumping the pump clears the air out of the pump and to the rest of the system but wasn't 100% sure.

Seems like many people have trouble with this, I guess I'll have a low threshold to take it to a shop vs. purchase a pressure bleeder.

I didn't see any smoke.. so far it seems like this used pump works properly.

First thing that jumps out at me, you only replaced 1 of the 7 soft lines on the truck. 4 for the calipers, 2 drops to the front axle, 1 drop to the rear axle. If 1 needed to be replaced, all of them need to be replaced.
I have never had an issue bleeding either 80 series and I really can't understand why folks have problems with this.
There is no reason to play games with abs while bleeding. You bleed according to the procedure in the fsm for the calipers and lspv, then take the truck to a gravel parking lot and activate abs a bunch of times to get the old fluid out. Then rebleed. Done.
If you're constantly getting bubbles, then your bleeders are too loose. I smear a bit of grease on the threads to keep a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom