Abandoned 84 FJ60 gets some love, and a 4bt! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally made it back home! Moab to Middle TN is a long drive!
Friday morning, we rolled into town to have breakfast at the Canyon Steak and Waffle House, which was fantastic, and reasonably priced. After that we stopped by @MoaByte house one last time to exchange some neat rocks and say our goodbyes. This guy and his family are super nice and my new favorite thing about Southern Utah. Once we had sufficiently pestered our new friends, we headed east across the desert back toward Colorado, stopping in a couple of spots to look for some more neat rocks for our flower beds, and then onward from there.
As we started toward Durango, we got a warning that a winter storm was rolling in, with a predicted 18" of snow coming. My wife, who is terrified of heights did NOT want to go back over the Million Dollar Highway in the snow, but it is the only way I know to get to Durango from Montrose without going a long way out of route, so with some encouraging words, we plodded onwards as the sun went down and the snow began to fall.
I kept my speed down, and drove carefully, and we made good progress, encountering only maybe 4" before we had made it over the San Juans and back down into Durango. Mallory kept her nose in a book most of the way, to avoid seeing the sheer dropoffs into the snowy abyss, with a complete lack of guardrails on the roads, lol.
I'm not sure if they eventually got all the snow predicted, but I was glad we made it out of the mountains before things got too hairy.
Once we made it through Durango, I turned my trusty pile towards Albuquerque, and we followed Hwy 550 the rest of the way to a cheap hotel for the night. We got some rest, and a continental breakfast the following morning, then continued the last leg of our journey across New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, and finally across the bridge into Memphis, and into my home state. Around 6:30am, after driving 19 hours straight from Albuquerque, stopping only for fuel, we finally rolled into my driveway, walked into the house and crashed for a couple hours.
Whew! What a ride!
20231223_131822.jpg
20231223_083854.jpg
20231222_111909.jpg
20231222_111851.jpg
20231222_084940.jpg

Finally took a cold start video. It was 11° at my house this morning. Didn't plug in the block heater, no glow plugs, no ether, and no fuel additive. I was happy it started at all, haha.
I'll probably plug it in tonight so I can get to work. It's supposed to get even colder tonight.

What weight oil are you running in there? I always change from 15w40 to a lighter weight 5w40. Seems to start easier with a slightly thinner oil when it’s cold. I’m in Northern BC for comparison and we see -20c (-4f) often enough. Nice job on the truck btw.

What weight oil are you running in there? I always change from 15w40 to a lighter weight 5w40. Seems to start easier with a slightly thinner oil when it’s cold. I’m in Northern BC for comparison and we see -20c (-4f) often enough. Nice job on the truck btw.
Thanks!
It's got 15w40 Rotella dino oil, because a buddy who works on heavy equipment gets it cheap, lol. I've got it plugged in, now, and after sitting at least 6 hours it started like it's summertime, lol.
It doesn't get cold enough for long enough to run thinner stuff in the winter here. We will get a month or so where it sometimes dips below 20°F, then it'll start warming on up. I have a Subaru that I'll drive when the roads are bad, mainly to keep this thing out of the salt.
If I ever move somewhere with harsher winters, I'll remember thinner oil, though!

Over the last few weekends, I've been traveling locally to good places to camp and ride dirtbikes with my kid every chance I get, as the weather improves. We went to Land Between the Lakes for a while and rode a couple weeks ago, and this past weekend we went near Chattanooga to go play in the mountains, but didn't bring bikes this time because the kid wanted to bring a couple of buddies instead. We had a great time around the campfire and did some wheeling, and everything was great, until my brakes lost all pressure. In the hilly areas I popped a rear wheel cylinder, and later the hard line going from the master cylinder to the front brakes got a hole rubbed in it by my braided turbo oil line, which caused me to lose ALL brake function. That kinda sucked being an hour from the nearest paved road and 3 more hours home from there. But we were able to carefully limp it home safely, and I guess when I get off work today I'll start digging in to that repair. I guess the first step will be to remove my roof basket so the thing can fit in the garage, lol.
Until I get it fixed, I guess I'll be riding my motorcycle.
Ive got the parts to replace the rear brakes, but haven't decided what to do for the hard line from the master. Does anyone sell one already made up?
PXL_20240330_162320629.jpg
PXL_20240330_162316828.jpg
PXL_20240329_233110269.MP.jpg
PXL_20240323_162255673.jpg

Last edited:
Over the past week I did repairs on my house while waiting for brake parts to arrive, and then Friday and Saturday I spent the day replacing the rear shoes, springs, hardware, and adjusters, as well as the ruptured hard line under the hood. My brake line bending skills are lacking, so it isn't as clean of an installation as it was from factory, and a few of the retainer straps on the firewall didn't line up to be reused, but after proper bleeding, adjustment, and bedding in the rear shoes, my 60 stops better than any 4x4 I've ever owned, including modern stuff with ABS and 4 wheel discs. Pedal feels is better than it's ever been, and my overall confidence driving has vastly improved. The 60 is back to daily driver status again!
PXL_20240405_235933511.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom