A thank you to everyone here.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did the transmission/ shift lever come from? I think it would totally be possible that if it came from a RHD vehicle that the shifter would be angled the other way. Think about how close we are to the transmission in the LHD layout versus if you were in a RHD.

My thoughts were always that no matter what frame you have (early/ late) that you can bolt up an H42/H55 correctly as long as you use the correct bell housing (2F/ 3F) respectively.

That being said... The 3F bell housing does rotate the transmission/ transfer clockwise (if viewing from the rear) more than the 2F bell housing. That's why you need the matching set (frame/ bell housing).

Yep, remove the stick, heat it up and bend to taste.

John

He has an '86, so unless he used an '84 or older bellhousing, you statement is not true. The '85-'87 60 series (along with the longer transmission and different crossmember) had a bellhousing stamped "3F" which rotates the transmission 7 or 8 degrees, I'm PRETTY SURE to the passenger side (U.S.) of the truck.
I do have the 3F bellhousing, also I think the frame is about an '82

I was wrong in saying previously that the shift lever should be aligned straight up... I just checked my car. It actually should be tilted slightly to the left. See the picture below. I superimposed the correct shift lever alignment on your picture.
Also the boot should be in a relaxed state, not cranked over to the right as in your picture... Something is not right... Maybe you got a different shift lever???

One thing's for certain, the top of the transmission is supposed to be level with the floor. And if it isn't, the oil fill hole will be higher... which will result in overfilling it with gear oil.

I know with my H55F, if the oil level gets just a little high (due to leaky transfer seal) the transmission does not shift as well.

correct.jpg

I do have the 3F bellhousing, also I think the frame is about an '82

The frame shouldn't matter, the only thing that matters is that your bellhousing and crossmember match up.

Tell me, when you purchased your h55f did you buy a shifter as well or did you reuse your 4-speed shifter?

If you switch to a 2F BH it will rotate the tranny (and the shifter) towards the driver. You also would need either a new tranny mount or x member. I am not positive which one was clocked to mate to the tranny.

Late 60 (post 85) crossmembers were clocked to mate to the tranny. Early 60s were flat.

I do believe there are two shifters available for the H55F, a RHD and a LHD version. Beno would be a good source to confirm this. I bet you just need the correct shifter to fix the problem. Alternatively, you can try to bend it but the stock shifter is kinda odd with a rubber insulator in between the inner and outer shifter. The rest looks likes it good to go.

Dyno

There are definitely two H55F shifters. The H55 LHD shifter assembly part number is 33530-60160

The angle of that lever looks exactly like the one in my RHD BJ74. My bet is that is a lever for RHD.

Thanks for all the input here....I got the tranny and shift lever from Spector Off Road. The general consensus here, when I was first trying to deal with this was change the bell housing OR change the cross-member and mount (but not both)....which I did. I am going to also contact SOR to see what they say.

Last edited:
Was it a new OEM lever? If so what is the part number?

Was it a new OEM lever? If so what is the part number?
got it from SOR, so don't have the Toyota #. Shift lever does not have any kind of bend to it and I can tell you that the top of the shift tower is not "level" or centered in the hole in the body. As I got all my stuff from SOR, I think there were no mix ups...I hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom