Bending H55 shifter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
Anyone have any tips on bending the new style (rubber sleeved) H55 shifter? I need to change the offset because it's hitting my thigh in 2nd, used a 2F bellhousing that didn't rotate the transmission like the 3F. I thought I could just heat the lower piece above the bell and bend, but it turns out that shaft is sleeved with rubber to mate into the upper shifter :( Anyone successfully separate the two pieces?

Thanks!
Tucker

Tucker, give me a call.

Tucker I assume the shifter for the H55 is not the same as an H42, otherwise I'd say I've still got the bent H42 shifter from the Black Mamba.

This seems like a good thread to ask questions about a H55F in a FJ40.
1. Is the shifter that comes with the current new 60 series H55F the same one used in the 40 series top plate? Talking about the part where it fits into cover.

2. Which bell housing was used with the 82 FJ40 with a H42, 2F or 3F? Reason I ask is I have the three pieces that make up the transmission mount for US imported 82 FJ40. If it was a 2F how will a 3F work with the different angle at the transmission mount?

This seems like a good thread to ask questions about a H55F in a FJ40.
1. Is the shifter that comes with the current new 60 series H55F the same one used in the 40 series top plate? Talking about the part where it fits into cover.

2. Which bell housing was used with the 82 FJ40 with a H42, 2F or 3F? Reason I ask is I have the three pieces that make up the transmission mount for US imported 82 FJ40. If it was a 2F how will a 3F work with the different angle at the transmission mount?

#1- The H55F transmission shifter is not the same as a 40 series; it is a two-piece cane that is bonded together with rubber to act as a noise isolation/damper. The later 60 series use this style of shifter cane as well. The pic linked below shows the cane.

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/tran5speed.html

#2- When I have done these conversions into the 1979 40 series I have modified the existing flywheel housing to accept the H55.

H55/splitcase into 02/79-40 series

Thanks Steve for responding. I am aware of the two piece 60 series shifter. I have couple of them. These will fit any 74 to 87 four speed transmission from either a 40 series or 60 series. My biggest concern is if I find a top cover from a 40 series and comes from a RHD market that shifter will be bend towards the right. I assume any H55F you buy new here in the US will have the shifter for a 60 series bend for LHD. Only question I have will that shifter work in the 40 top cover. I assume it would but you know what they say about assuming. I know finding the correct 40 cover is a long shot but hey a unicorn ran in front of my vehicle yesterday so who knows.:meh:

Guess I really need to read thru thread again. It's been a few years. Guess all the questions I have regarding the 3F bell housing versus the 2F are in there. Guessing better clearance with tub and better angle on the rear drive shaft with the 3F. 2F gives you better ground clearance and room for the skid plate if you run the stock skid. Which bring up the question how will that work? No hand brake to deal with but longer because of the fifth gear spacer in the transmission is that much longer.:hmm:

@tucker74 or @Poser - any word on how/if you were able to bend that shifter?

Also, has anyone seen the length of the lever shortened (so the knob is closer to the floor)? Can the outer sheath/cane be removed, then the lever rod cut and re-threaded?

I separated the two pieces and cut the bottom piece off, then made my own top part out of 5/8 rod. I didn't shorten it so much , but straighten it up, so it doesn't hit my leg.

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

View attachment 1098149

IMG_2395.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, thanks @scrapdaddy.

So, the first pic above is after you "separated the pieces and cut the bottom piece off"? Was there any trick to separating the pieces/taking the insulating layer off?

No trick when you don't know better, like me. :) I heated it up and melted the rubber, then pulled it apart. No turning back after that. I really didn't care for the dia. of the shifter anyway and second gear was right in my leg. Now it looks like an old school shifter and it's in the right place.

Best part, no cost mod. unless you buy a cool shifter knob.

Tuck I'd like to see what you come up with. I'm in the same boat with 2nd resting right on my leg. I thought it would be a simple heat and bend. Of course things are never that easy on these swaps.

Just put it on a well anchored vice and bend it. I have never needed heat to make it happen.

Just put it on a well anchored vice and bend it. I have never needed heat to make it happen.

Believe the heat is for melting the rubber to pull the two piece shifter apart to weld on a different shaft. How short the piece is that fits into the transmission is the challenge to bent. Haven't tried it yet but on a H42 60 series shifter I plan on seeing if I can't anchor it some how and use a press to bent it how I want for use in a 40 series. Other issue with these shifters is replacing the inner dust boot.

One problem is the top piece is a hollow tube and it would be hard to put the bottom piece in vice without buggering up the cup that goes in the tranny. Once you pull the two pieces apart, I don't believe they will go back.

I tried bending my spare H55 shifter without heat and it broke

It looks like they heated it before bending, yes? If so, did the rubber mount inside the tube melt?

No, I did not heat it up, just bent it cold, took around 22 tonnes. I dont think it can be heated without melting the rubber vibration dampener in the cane.
literally took 45 seconds, any shop with a brake should be able to get this done without issue. Just give the operator a target angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom