A seated dissy. Fj40 1978 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

eaj71,

I am having the exact same problem and may have the answer. Measure from the bottom of the tang to the first seat on the bottom of the helical gear and see if they are the same. Look down the shaft and you will see a seat that this helical gear hits. I believe mine is hitting this seat before engaging the tang in the slot.

Here put a screwdriver on the seat above the slot and put tape to mark the top of the block seat.

20190506_220330.jpg
20190506_220351.jpg

When I touch the tape to the helical gear you can see where the screwdriver tip ends is the same spot that shows sticking above the block.

20190506_220012.jpg
20190513_172226.jpg

When I put the screwdriver into the slot and mark with tape to the top of the block, then go back to my new dizzy and put the first mark on the helical gear, it shows how much the tang will miss the slot.

20190506_220544.jpg

Check yours and see if you find the same issue. Mark, what do you think? Am I way off here?

Keith

Edit:

Tang distance to the gear seat is the same on both old and new dissy. So in theory even though it sits higher on the block, as long as the O-ring is in, the tang should engage for oil pressure.

I am in the same boat though - haven't put enough together for first start up to test oil pressure.

20201202_191826.jpg
20201202_191755.jpg

Let me know what you find on your end eaj71.

Guys

I am in full overload mode right now dealing with my family’s estate issues, and not even managing 10% of my business workload. Bear with me.

Keith

Your last pic is the best for explaining. You can see the mark on the tang of the old dizzy of how far it actually seats in the oil pump: only about an 1/8”. Period. That is why an 1/8” showing on the dizzy clamp can be SO unnerving. No dumb questions when it comes to getting this sucker in.

Ive been doing this for 35 years now, and I usually get them in on the first try. But if it takes 7 or 8 or 15, all that matters is being sure.

Eric, I want desperately to snap a pic for you. But I swear there is already a list of pics in my phone for two weeks running that hasn’t happened yet because of my workload. :(

Guys

I am in full overload mode right now dealing with my family’s estate issues, and not even managing 10% of my business workload. Bear with me.

Keith

Your last pic is the best for explaining. You can see the mark on the tang of the old dizzy of how far it actually seats in the oil pump: only about an 1/8”. Period. That is why an 1/8” showing on the dizzy clamp can be SO unnerving. No dumb questions when it comes to getting this sucker in.

Ive been doing this for 35 years now, and I usually get them in on the first try. But if it takes 7 or 8 or 15, all that matters is being sure.

Eric, I want desperately to snap a pic for you. But I swear there is already a list of pics in my phone for two weeks running that hasn’t happened yet because of my workload. :(

Totally understand Mark! Thanks for all you do for us here on MUD! Go take care of things....

Edit:

Tang distance to the gear seat is the same on both old and new dissy. So in theory even though it sits higher on the block, as long as the O-ring is in, the tang should engage for oil pressure.

I am in the same boat though - haven't put enough together for first start up to test oil pressure.

View attachment 2513918View attachment 2513919

I will measure tomorrow
Thanks Again

Guys

Keith

Understand I’ll bug ya next week if I can’t figure it out

Here are some pics Eric

1. shows what I was suggesting you mic
2A26013D-E0C7-43E7-99E9-A02F630538E6.jpeg

2. Shows the same dizzy I sent you sitting on top of the oil pump in an FJ60 block because it was not clocked to match the slot. You can see the O ring.
69B6A4D7-C5B3-4AFE-AC77-1AB9E05E99BD.jpeg

Last edited:
3. Shows the dizzy clocked and seated. Looks like yours. :)
FB58BECC-0A86-456A-B318-68D1DC507235.jpeg

3. Shows the dizzy clocked and seated. Looks like yours. :)

Yay! Thank you so much Mark for this picture tutorial! This is exactly how mine looks and now I feel so much more confident in the seating.

Just as an added measure I will probably leave the valve cover off and watch the flow since I don't have the cluster gage installed yet.

Awesome. Thanks. I will investigate tonight!

Edit:

View attachment 2513918View attachment 2513919

Nope. Got to a point to test it...No oil pressure.

Maybe it’s time spin the pump with drill and cut-off screw driver to check for oil pressure/flow.

And maybe do what Mark did. Clock the pump so it won't engage & see how it sits.

Yup
Did that before.

will try again!

WARNING !

SOR SELLs currently and for years a SAE O-ring for dizzy's

it prevents full seating , u press like hell and the block bore slices the o-ring like lunch meat fially seating it

i have been bunked by this more then one time ........

ONLY ORDER 90999-14091 from your local dealer ..........

@4Cruisers MUD's NipponDenso go to source will verify this oem part #

1615073960344.png

O-ring Part Number 90099-14090 (replaced 90099-14020).

Last edited:
All works...
It sticks up about1/8” of inch but good oil pressure
I think it just needed to have the engine bumped and another go with the drill might have moved a clog loose as it sat a while.
Anyway on to the next problem... gas weeping out base of carb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom