Builds Joined the 40 club! 1970 FJ40 Frame off build... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcisland

SILVER Star
Threads
Whoohoo! Joined the club after wanting one for years. Fell in love with them travelling South America and seeing them all over.

So now the project begins. My general plans are to keep mostly original except:

-disc brakes all around
-power steering
-new suspension/small lift kit
-new paint job
-reupholstery

BUT....before all of that here's the start...the original F engine is seized. And this is where i need everyone's help.

PO said it was running fine, started to hear a tick, tick, tick, then next day would not start. Starter still tries to kick it over but no go, turning fan by hand is a no go. For some reason PO mentioned it may be something in the lower end, like a bolt fell into the hole by the starter...

What is the best way to dig in and find how bad it is? Dive right in and look at the pistons? Maybe pull the flywheel cover off first and inspect the lower end?

I would like to get her running to check compression, unless of course it's all ground metal shavings in there!

My choices for the engine remod in order would be:

-Stay original - if compression is good just freshen up with new components, gaskets...

-Pull the F and put in a rebuilt 2F...

-Go 350?? Last resort but open to it for the ease and gained highway speed.

Any ideas before I start tearing this engine apart?

Keith

Last edited:
I can’t see the pics. If there’s no pics, there’s no 40.

Tadaa! Just read the new users FAQ. Lets see now...

20171031_150022.jpg

20171031_150044.jpg

20171031_160532.jpg

I like it as is, from the exterior. Will take your word on the need for upholstery. Maybe add an auxiliary gas tank to give it some range, and put a 3FE in it.:bounce:

If you can get it running and get the brakes to work safely, it will be a lot more fun and motivating to work on than if you have to pull it all apart from the get-go.

You don't have much to lose by trying to free the engine and see if you can get it to start. I would start by putting penetrating oil in all of the cylinders and letting that soak for a while, then try to turn it again. Taking off the oil pan and the flywheel cover might tell you a lot too.

For sure! That's what helped me make the decision, the body is damn straight only a little surface rust, even roof gutters were solid. The only rust was under the floor mats but not all the way through.

I will have to dig into the tech section on the 3FE's.

If you can get it running and get the brakes to work safely, it will be a lot more fun and motivating to work on than if you have to pull it all apart from the get-go.

You don't have much to lose by trying to free the engine and see if you can get it to start. I would start by putting penetrating oil in all of the cylinders and letting that soak for a while, then try to turn it again. Taking off the oil pan and the flywheel cover might tell you a lot too.

yep, read about using MMO down the cylinders, can't hurt.

The addiction begins!

This advice it spot on :clap:

That thing is bee-yoo-tee-ful!!

:cheers:

I missed it is this a 70 or a 71? I have a 70 in the same color. 71 had a brake booster and dual brake circuits.

Man you guys are slipping bad. We are now up to 15 posts and not one single person has mentioned flipping the bezel. Not one official mud salute to the new member. I can’t believe it. :flipoff2: This is total sacrilege.

Nice rig !

Welcome to the madness !!!:flipoff2:

:cheers:

Man you guys are slipping bad. We are now up to 15 posts and not one single person has mentioned flipping the bezel. Not one official mud salute to the new member. I can’t believe it. :flipoff2: This is total sacrilege.
I saw that right off...but being a newbie myself, I didn't want to be the one. It's amazing how many wind up this way. I figure there are plenty of other priority things to address on Keith's new 40 first...

Congrats on the purchase! I would suggest staying up late at night reading through every build thread you can find. Then start to put together a plan of attack. Sure, things will change, but it will keep you on track. Break it down into categories: brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, interior, drivetrain, wiring etc. Research each category to decide what you want.

Tons of information on here about each category. A dedicated build thread with lots of pictures will tease the gurus into posting. Works like drugs to an addict!

Nice Cruiser. Good luck with the engine. My original motor seized up too, I was able to source a low milage 2F from an 86 60 series for $600 and swapped it in. Much cheaper and less time consuming than a rebuild. Newer 2Fs also have the benefit of a better oiling system and the head is tapped to mount a power steering pump.

Nice Cruiser. Good luck with the engine. My original motor seized up too, I was able to source a low milage 2F from an 86 60 series for $600 and swapped it in. Much cheaper and less time consuming than a rebuild. Newer 2Fs also have the benefit of a better oiling system and the head is tapped to mount a power steering pump.

Thanks cruiserkev! Do you have a write up on your 2f swap? That would definitely be the best "middle" ground between rebuilding the F and doing a 350 swap. If i could find a reliable low mileage 2f I would be happy.

Spent all night reading on engine swaps, disc brake conversions...and getting the juices flowing. Today though will be spent on clearing out the shop to make a nice warm, dry space to tuck her into. Snowing/slushing today and i need to get her inside! Are you Lakewood, Tacoma or Lakewood Arlington?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom