96 Oil Pump Failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy an OEM shortblock if you can find one and build from there with OEM parts, that's what I did. The truck runs so good now and I have no regrets on the $ I spent getting there.

I have a crank that has been machine and polish. Also has a set of crank and rod bearing. If you need it left me know.
For my rebuilt, it cost me around $1200 for parts.

the truck still runs so it should be able to drive on and off a trailer. Ship it to wherever and then decide what to do.
RedFiveAZ you should Do what Rick suggested above, jump on U ship's web site and place an ad for bids to ship your truck home. I used U ship to ship my military 5 ton M925 cargo truck from San Fransisco CA. to Phoenix AZ. total cost to ship my 22000 pound truck was a little over a 1000 bucks. Another option, if you have AAA towing they may be able to provide a flat bed towing service to get your truck back home too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm leaning toward that option more and more. Talked to the shop that did the work on it in October, they were very helpful and willing to help try to sort out what might be wrong with it. They ARE willing to swap a used or reman'd engine into it, unlike the people in Denver. They're also willing to take it apart and see if there may be a simpler fix by changing all the connecting rod bearings or whatever might have gone wrong.

Guess I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help so far!

Obviously I have no idea of the competency’s of the shop that did the initial work, but I would not be eager to send it back to them, it’s a sunk cost at this point.

Thanks for all the support guys.

I just confirmed my Uship from Denver to San Diego. Cost around $1000. They should be picking it up this week.

To be honest, the woman at Toy Doctor was really condescending and bitchy. I'll say it. When she found out I didn't want to drop $12k on an engine rebuild, she was snarky and rude with me. At one point she even said "we only want what's best for the truck."

What's *best* for the truck is that I rebuild it myself. What's practical for the truck is I get a shop I trust to do it. I don't trust Toy Doctor purely because of the woman I had to deal with on the phone. The shop in San Diego may or may not have screwed up, I don't know. What I do know is they are honest and will admit a screw up. For all we know, it's my damn Wix oil filter.

I won't have better answers until both the truck and I are home in San Diego.

In the mean time, I think I will keep looking for a used engine to swap over. Please keep the leads coming!! I'll keep you guys updated!!

Thanks for all the support guys.

I just confirmed my Uship from Denver to San Diego. Cost around $1000. They should be picking it up this week.

To be honest, the woman at Toy Doctor was really condescending and bitchy. I'll say it. When she found out I didn't want to drop $12k on an engine rebuild, she was snarky and rude with me. At one point she even said "we only want what's best for the truck."

What's *best* for the truck is that I rebuild it myself. What's practical for the truck is I get a shop I trust to do it. I don't trust Toy Doctor purely because of the woman I had to deal with on the phone. The shop in San Diego may or may not have screwed up, I don't know. What I do know is they are honest and will admit a screw up. For all we know, it's my damn Wix oil filter.

I won't have better answers until both the truck and I are home in San Diego.

In the mean time, I think I will keep looking for a used engine to swap over. Please keep the leads coming!! I'll keep you guys updated!!
The Wix/napa oil filter is a real thing and could be the cause of all of this. If you had mentioned you had one installed in the beginning it would have been my first osh-t comment.

I mentioned it, but it was probably buried a bit.

Shop in Denver is telling me they want $143 before they'll give the keys to the shipping truck. They sent me an invoice for $130 in labor and $13 in shop supplies. I'm not happy about it. I told them what was wrong with it when I gave it to them. They checked the fluid levels, turned it on, and turned it off right away once they saw there was no oil pressure. They didn't even pull the codes. The shop that the tow truck first took the truck to (Ken's Auto Service) didn't charge me a thing even though I was expecting the standard ~$75 diagnosis fee.

I'll pay it, but this isn't right.

They sent me an invoice for $130 in labor and $13 in shop supplies. I'm not happy about it. I told them what was wrong with it when I gave it to them.
Not that this will get your 143 dollars back, but I'd check to see if they have a web site or Yelp that allows you to review their shop. If they do I'd leave an honest, non vulgar review of the work they did.

I'd ex plane why you feel that the 143 dollars they charged you was very unreasonable for the very limited amount of work they did.

This might not change anything, but i know from running my own shop that your reputation is everything, and getting to many bad reviews is never good for your bottom line.

Plus your bad review will let other customers know how poorly they've treated another customer.

UPDATE 07 APRIL 2020:
Hey guys, I wanted to thank you for all of your help. The truck has been sitting at my mechanic's shop in San Diego since just before Christmas. For what it's worth, I trust these guys. The shop here verified that it didn't have oil pressure and I came up with a game plan and their owner/manager agreed with the way forward. Unfortunately, they have been short staffed and I have been busy with work, so the truck has been sitting in their lot until today. I told them it wasn't time critical since I already bought a '13 Tacoma (long travel coming soon :D), but I'm glad we were finally able to get it on a lift and address the concerns discussed in this thread one-by-one.

1) We took the fan off in order to get better access to the crank pulley. We ensured it was torqued to 304 ft-lb. This is not a trivial thing, 304 ft-lb is a lot, they had a monster torque wrench on there! The torque was good.

2) We started the engine and there was still zero oil pressure.

3) We removed the Wix oil filter and replaced it with a Toyota oil filter.

4) We started the the engine. There is now proper oil pressure. The problem is fixed. Unfortunately, the engine still sounds terrible because it was starved of oil -- no surprise here. I am legitimately surprised that the oil filter was the problem, I really only did it because you guys suggested it and because it's such a simple thing to swap/check.

5) We sealed the Wix oil filter in plastic bags and it remains untouched.

I am unsure of exactly how to proceed from here. My inclination is to write Wix a letter and include receipts (O'Reilly receipt for the oil filter, towing receipts, mechanic diagnosis receipts, etc), and ask that they pay for the engine rebuild. Generally speaking, I believe in doing business on a handshake, that people are generally good, and that lawyers, while necessary, are a last ditch effort. That said, I want to do this the correct way. Should I be getting a lawyer involved from step one, or should I send them the letter/receipts and see what they say first?

Thanks!

Next step is call your attorney to how much this will cost to pursue, then determine which is least, rebuild, or pursue. Then what are the odds of winning a lawsuit for a rebuild of maybe $8000 plus attorney fees?

Good Luck and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom