95 build with 2.5” and 40s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently building a 95 with 40s and a 2.5” lift

40x12.5x17.5” Bfg Baja

Cut the front fenders still need to trim the rears

Plans- 5.29s and lockers
Sliders
Rear bumper

Jettisoned rear bumper for now

05F62D67-8BEB-40A6-AE10-E5B417B559C1.jpeg

E088A5D6-97A1-4ACF-9702-E54247D02094.jpeg

A8E1C062-83FB-4793-A67F-E22311C566B6.jpeg

4FC3FB4D-6E9B-4C60-8209-CD9979826971.jpeg

248D7183-BE08-4FD1-81CD-BB21CAC755FD.jpeg

40's look sick. Makes me almost want to go with 40's the next time around.

Can you share pictures/details on how much you cut from the front and the rear?

What are you doing about bump stops extensions?

OH, Yeah! :popcorn:
Strait to the sawsall in the 1st post.

40x12.5s KR3s... please post up specs on those for sure.(tread width) They look just as wide as the 39x13.5 KM3s.
With 5 post & 15 years under your belt, welcome to the addiction.
Just noticed no fender holes... looks like a clean ride.
Have you seen threads about fitting 40s on a 80 & how much cutting, moving forward & bump stopping you have ahead of you?
Check out @ Broski 's adventure rig build thread. Also Clifford the tubbed red 80 w/40s/no lift.

Last edited:
With the amount of cutting and fine tuning you'll be doing, pick up a nibbler. Cutting and tuning fenders with a cut off wheel or Sawzall is painful and it will be cheap investment in comparison to what else you have going on. Of course, I'm telling you after the big cuts are done :rolleyes:

OH, Yeah! :popcorn:
Strait to the sawsall in the 1st post.

40x12.5s KR3s... please post up specs on those for sure.(tread width) They look just as wide as the 39x13.5 KM3s.
With 5 post & 15 years under your belt, welcome to the addiction.
Just noticed no fender holes... looks like a clean ride.
Have you seen threads about fitting 40s on a 80 & how much cutting, moving forward & bump stopping you have ahead of you?
Check out @ Broski 's adventure rig build thread. Also Clifford the tubbed red 80 w/40s/no lift.
Yep I have seen all the threads! Yea i had an fj40 back in the day. 6 samurais since, a couple early broncos and some other 4x4s... ill check his out and I saw cliffords ... was the inspiration lol

Currently building a 95 with 40s and a 2.5” lift

40x12.5x17.5” Bfg Baja

Cut the front fenders still need to trim the rears

Plans- 5.29s and lockers
Sliders
Rear bumper

Jettisoned rear bumper for now

View attachment 3051121

View attachment 3051122

View attachment 3051123

View attachment 3051124

View attachment 3051125
I am so envious that you don't have many holes to weld up. On my LX450 I am looking at over a 100 after removing flares and the rest of the plastic.

I'd foil tape the holes and bedliner the bottom of the panels where the cladding used to sit. You're never going to get paint on the back of all of those fresh welds which sounds like a rust problem waiting to happen.

And yeah, I'm jealous too. I left my cladding on (which I hate) to avoid the problem.

I'd foil tape the holes and bedliner the bottom of the panels where the cladding used to sit. You're never going to get paint on the back of all of those fresh welds which sounds like a rust problem waiting to happen.

And yeah, I'm jealous too. I left my cladding on (which I hate) to avoid the problem.
I also have this concern, but bedliner look isn't for everyone.

Funny how 4Ds just look right on a 80.
It’s a ton of work to make them perform correctly.
37 are the sweet spot though perfect balance between performance and work necessary.
If you plan to wheel it your going to need the 10% under drive and the low range gears.
The front axle also needs to be moved forward along with a lot more cutting if you want to maintain any amount of up travel.
I also moved the battery up and relocated the washer bottle so I could move the inner wheel wells up.
In the end the low lift big tire combo on a 80 make a incredible wheeling machine.

Last edited:
Funny how 4Ds just look right on a 80.
It’s a ton of work to make them perform correctly.
37 are the sweet spot though perfect balance between performance and work necessary.
If you plan to wheel it your going to need the 10% under drive and the low range gears.
The front axle also needs to be moved forward along with a lot more cutting if you want to maintain any amount of up travel.
I also moved the battery up and relocated the washer bottle so I could move the inner wheel wells up.
In the end the low lift big tire combo on a 80 make a incredible wheeling machine.
Yes!

It's hard to explain, but the asthetics of 40's or 42's on a cruiser is just about perfect IMO.

I remember going to 38's and then about 6 months later thinking they didn't quite match the thing. My 42's and 40's are pretty close in size, but the 40's I'm running (patriot 40x15.5R20) are a bit wider than most and just seem right for it. With the ram assist the steering is nimble enough, actually a bit touchy.

Having said that, 33x12.5 tires on a stock height FJ80 look pretty good too for some reason.

I am going through welding up/grinding/filling of 140+ holes at the moment and have a suspicion that Toyota was designing LX450 to go at least 600MPH. And they really wanted that damn plastic to stay attached while doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom