93 FZJ80 with problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found out that Autozone has one to loan.(they put it on your credit card and then credit back when it is returned- no charge for use). I will be back on it Monday evening when I have help.

Seriously thinking about cutting it loose. Too complicated for me.

For those wanting to make the tool, it’s 3 1/2” (90mm) from center to center for the holes on the tool. If you have a welder and a grinder, it’s not hard to make at all. OTRam’s tool is nice but you don’t have to make it a complete circle like he did. We used a piece of angle iron and just cut a gap between the two holes to fit the socket then welded it to a piece of 2x2 square rod. Thought this might help someone...

s steve. could you show a picture. please, please

Here you go sir.

Tool 2.jpg
Tool.jpg
Tool 3.jpg
Tool 4.jpg

I don't have a welder so when I did mine I just went and bought some flat stock as wide as they had to occomodate a big hole centered in the stock towards one end large enough for the socket to fit though it. Marked and drilled the 2 smaller holes for the bolts. It took a couple of minutes to make but worked well enough. Something like the one above is probably a little stronger but if you don't have a welder you can still make something that works.

I don't have a welder so when I did mine I just went and bought some flat stock as wide as they had to occomodate a big hole centered in the stock towards one end large enough for the socket to fit though it. Marked and drilled the 2 smaller holes for the bolts. It took a couple of minutes to make but worked well enough. Something like the one above is probably a little stronger but if you don't have a welder you can still make something that works.
I think you could make the same tool without welding anything. Get a Big piece of angle iron cut the holes as we did and go with it. As long as you have a place to fit the socket in to the crank pulley you should be good.

OK! Made the tool out of angle iron and it fits in just fine. Went to A-zone and they only had 250lb T-wrench. Disgusted. Then
I thought about a locally franchised CARQUEST and they have a 500lb wrench but too late to get there. Will try again Thursday.
On hb bolt popped right with I/2" impact and hp came right with minimal effort.

OK! Made the tool out of angle iron and it fits in just fine. Went to A-zone and they only had 250lb T-wrench. Disgusted. Then
I thought about a locally franchised CARQUEST and they have a 500lb wrench but too late to get there. Will try again Thursday.
On hb bolt popped right with I/2" impact and hp came right with minimal effort.

OK What happened? Why are you selling it? You state it has a bad engine. What did you find?

OK What happened? Why are you selling it? You state it has a bad engine. What did you find?
OK: torqued th balancer to 305 lbs. Still no power steering. The engine sounded rough at first but then quites down and sounded pretty good with good oil pressure but when you put it in gear and drive it there is a knock that to me does not sound like a rod but it there is a knock.

Conclusion: Jus to complicated for me. I am 86. Not excited enough about it to continue. Let someone with more enthusiasm have a go at it.

OK: torqued th balancer to 305 lbs. Still no power steering. The engine sounded rough at first but then quites down and sounded pretty good with good oil pressure but when you put it in gear and drive it there is a knock that to me does not sound like a rod but it there is a knock.

Conclusion: Jus to complicated for me. I am 86. Not excited enough about it to continue. Let someone with more enthusiasm have a go at it.

Now we understand.

We thought maybe you found something major internal that was a no-go.

Thanks for the response! That will help get it out of your way as well!

Thanks for answering.
What complications might I run into?
I should just be putting everything off my engine onto the 97.

93 is pre obd. 97 is obd2. The castings are slightly different I believe due to having different sensors. I don't remember the exact differences but they are different. I think some have made it work but it was quite a lot of work. There's a few threads on it.

Transmission is different.

Engine will work into the 93 but have to swap a lot of parts from 93 block to 97 block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom