93 FZJ80 with problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a FZJ80 for sale here with some problems for $2900
1st problem, it has 440K on the od.
2nd problem it is blowing out oil near the front location unknown.

It has pretty much rust free body and frame with good paint. Interior is fair to good. Seats intact but worn. Iow. looks like it has 440K on it
The good is elocked front and rear. They say triple locked. I have not owned an 80 series so not sure what that means. I have had many 40s, two 45s, one 55 and four 60 series. Not sure if this is worth going after or not.

Just talked to them and they would take $2500.

Opinions ????????????????

Ballpark, the lockers are worth around $2k. Someone may have a better idea what they’re actually worth.
Zona

There is a FZJ80 for sale here with some problems for $2900
1st problem, it has 440K on the od.
2nd problem it is blowing out oil near the front location unknown.

It has pretty much rust free body and frame with good paint. Interior is fair to good. Seats intact but worn. Iow. looks like it has 440K on it
The good is elocked front and rear. They say triple locked. I have not owned an 80 series so not sure what that means. I have had many 40s, two 45s, one 55 and four 60 series. Not sure if this is worth going after or not.

Just talked to them and they would take $2500.

Opinions ????????????????
Is it white?

Is it at a shop?

I think I might know the truck.

I bought it. Thanks

Good Luck!

I seriously considered it.

I looked up all of his posts and decided it wasn't for me.

I hope it goes well for you.

Just put in a used motor with lower miles at 440k the existing engine doesn't owe you anything.

Couple threads on the truck

Just put in a used motor with lower miles at 440k the existing engine doesn't owe you anything.

1HDT time!!! Then you can spend more on the engine than you did on your rig... then get a Gturbo! ...then an intercooler! Then, then then!

Engine is full of oil so only leaks when running. really pours out of the front and sounds like no oil is getting to the lifters. do not hear any rod knock as previously stated but I accept that the engine is a boat anchor.

Engine is full of oil so only leaks when running. really pours out of the front and sounds like no oil is getting to the lifters. do not hear any rod knock as previously stated but I accept that the engine is a boat anchor.
Any chance of posting a video of it puking oil so we can help diagnose?

Oil is coming out just to the left of that idler pulley. Sorry but I haven't a clue as to posting a video. You can see oil coming out when looking from the top. My experience has been with the simple 1F and 2F engines. I had never even looked under the hood of the 93 up. My wife thought it was time I moved into a more modern lc with an automatic as my shifting skills would start to diminish for my remaining years. Should have just gotten rid of the 40 and put an automatic in the 83 FJ60.
I will probably pass this one on to someone else. It is a nice rig for its miles. Good solid body with only minor rust on the lift gate. The frame looks like it was undercoated by the dealer and has zero rust. The owner, a lady, said the only engaged the lockers when they forst bought it and had never taken it off road.

Maybe all it needs is a new oil pump cover.......

The oil is more than likely coming from the oil pump gasket. Mines doing the same thing but my leak doesn't sound to be as bad as yours. I have old oil all over my engine but its not leaking right now. I plan on replacing the gasket soon. I talked to someone who had it done and they said it cost them $400 to have it fixed. Good luck.

Here is a video of how to replace it.

Oil pump gasket and/or crank pulley seal. Not expensive , but a bit fiddly. Many posts about both that you can search for.

Thanks for the help. The video was very informative. Might just give it a shot.
I am not sure how the oil galleries route. If the run like the sbc I used to build the mains get first oil and the rocker arms are last which would cause a lot of noise in the valve cover so the rods and mains might be ok.
The air impact at 150 psi should remove the crank nut without that specialty tool he had made and I have always just ran it back on until the impact stopped not 300 lbs of torque.

Does this sound right. I am certainly open for advise and suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom