91 FJ80: Won't start: no crank, CEL on, Good battery, FP flowing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bring a piece of generic wore with you and next time it does it use the wire to jump power from the starter main power wire to the starter solenoid. If the starter cranks then it's probably the ignition switch. If it doesn't crank it's probably the starter. Also check to see if the battery to starter power wire looks corroded and that the starter connection is tight and that it's connected well to the battery terminal clamp.
Where on the starter solenoid do you connect the starter to? I'm trying to trouble shoot a similar issue and am trying to rule out if it's the starter before I rip it our of the car and replace it. What's the whole process to manually 'jump' the starter?

Been having similar issues. Just yesterday drove all around town, parked in my driveway then it wouldn't crank. New battery, had cleaned the contact on the starter. It didn't have anything to do with the the air temp as it was mid 40's. I unhooked the battery, jiggled some wires and it fired right up. Planning on doing this mod in hopes the issue will go away: 50 amp ST80 Solenoid

Been having similar issues. Just yesterday drove all around town, parked in my driveway then it wouldn't crank. New battery, had cleaned the contact on the starter. It didn't have anything to do with the the air temp as it was mid 40's. I unhooked the battery, jiggled some wires and it fired right up. Planning on doing this mod in hopes the issue will go away: 50 amp ST80 Solenoid

Sorry I forgot if I ever followed up with this thread:

I changed out a non-OEM bosch starter motor with the OEM denso starter, and the problem completely went away. In my case, it seemed like a heat soak issue with the BOSCH starter, which would simply stop working if it got to hot. I have not had any issue with the Denso even on hot days going on a few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom