8cam's 97 turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greatest tool ever.

Stud removal tool. That broken stud was a pain in the ass, broken off too much to double nut it. I tried the old vise grips, didn't work...because locktite. Cut a slot in the end with the dremel, manual screwdriver not strong enough. Pulled out the impact screwdriver. Broke 3 bits to get 2 turns on it. Finally cried uncle, went to the local auto parts store and picked up this thing.

30 seconds and the stud was out. Oh yeah.

No pictures, but I'm finally mobile again! Lots of work that got spread out over a couple weeks just because it's so hard to find garage time. And then little things like a broken stud and brakes that wouldn't bleed just caused more issues. I've done at least a couple hundred brake jobs over the years between my own cars and helping friends, and this was the first time I couldn't get fluid out of a caliper. I was worried about possibly bleeding the ABS like so many have posted about, but that wasn't my problem. I pulled lines, checked banjo bolts, and in the end it was clogged/rusty bleeder screws. Once I replaced those, everything worked exactly like it was supposed to, and the brakes were easy to bleed.

With the new power steering pump, new shocks, new brakes, and wow it drives differently. No more bouncy castle, no groaning steering, and brakes that draw up hard and straight with good ABS. Next up, steering stabilizer, cruise control, high beam switch, and wiring up the new CB.

Oh and something very interesting coming this afternoon, which I will definitely post a picture of. Should be really cool.

Good to hear about the rusty bleeders; I've got the same problem: just a rusty trickle if that.

No pictures, but I'm finally mobile again! Lots of work that got spread out over a couple weeks just because it's so hard to find garage time. And then little things like a broken stud and brakes that wouldn't bleed just caused more issues. I've done at least a couple hundred brake jobs over the years between my own cars and helping friends, and this was the first time I couldn't get fluid out of a caliper. I was worried about possibly bleeding the ABS like so many have posted about, but that wasn't my problem. I pulled lines, checked banjo bolts, and in the end it was clogged/rusty bleeder screws. Once I replaced those, everything worked exactly like it was supposed to, and the brakes were easy to bleed.

With the new power steering pump, new shocks, new brakes, and wow it drives differently. No more bouncy castle, no groaning steering, and brakes that draw up hard and straight with good ABS. Next up, steering stabilizer, cruise control, high beam switch, and wiring up the new CB.

Oh and something very interesting coming this afternoon, which I will definitely post a picture of. Should be really cool.

Installing a CB :rofl:

So I had a little fun yesterday afternoon. A good friend has his own boutique company making interesting trail stuff, called Terrapod. Well he decided it was high time to design and build his own roof top tent, one that will be thinner, stronger and lighter than anything else out there. Target was 100lbs, and it's damn close.

I'm getting 002, and the first pic is the test fit of the lower half of my tent, aligning with Trail Tailor's brackets. All of the parts of my tent are completed, just going in for final assembly this week. I'll pick it up probably next weekend. There's 1/2" gap between the bottom of the tent and the roof, so it sits nice and low. The way the bottom panel is designed, there's maybe a 1/8 of an inch deflection with 300lbs inside, really impressed with the strength. Overall height will be just 7" off the roof so it easily fits in the garage.

Then just for fun we took the prototype 001 and put it up there. Oh yeah I'm very happy with it!

Last edited:
My shoulders are killing me this morning. Just sayin.

My shoulders are killing me this morning. Just sayin.

^^^ said good friend.

He's got a thread going in the camping section too.

Busy weekend getting ready for Cruise Moab. I worked most of the day yesterday, and got a lot done. More to do today.

Steering stabilizer installed. The magic ball joint tool made this a pretty easy job. The surprising thing was how much stiffer the steering is now, really tightened things up. I did not expect that at all, and I like it. Feels much more solid.

Next up was replacing the high beam switch. Didn't get any pictures of this because it was a pain in the butt, but glad it's done and my high beams work now. I ordered a new Corolla switch and got to work. Now that I know exactly how everything works, it's really not that bad a job. But it took me a frustrating couple of hours to get it done. Taking the wheel off and getting back to the connector was easy, but it took me a little while to figure out how to disconnect it - there are small tabs under/behind you have to press, and then it comes apart.

Once I had everything on the bench, I tried to follow these thorough instructions found all over mud: "depin the connector, which can be done easily." Hmmmm. Ok if you're not versed in electrical stuff, that's pretty cryptic. This was the most frustrating part, figuring out how the damn thing works, but I finally got it. First, there's a hinged section on the back of the connector, held in place with two tiny tabs. Be careful, push the tabs back, and pop the hinged section back. This is critical, otherwise you will NOT be able to "easily depin the connector." Yeah...45 minutes of frustration until I figured that one out, obvious now. With the hinged section opened up, then back to the front side. Take a tiny screwdriver and push in right on top of the pin, and then press the plastic tab down, away from the pin. Then the pin can be pulled easily from the back.

I did the pins one by one, replacing each one with the matching pin from the new switch. Kind of a rats nest working your way through it, but there's only 7 wires to do so just be careful, and it works well. Reinstalled everything and I have high beams now!

My passenger seat didn't move at all, and the plastic cap was missing from the end of the motor driveshaft. I ordered a new set of gears from Gamiviti and pulled the seat out. First I took apart the end away from the motor, which according to everything I've read, is the one that has the most issues. Yep, this gear was shot to hell, ya think?

Then I reassembled everything and put the seat back in. Success...sorta. The inside track moved fine, the outside (motor side) didn't move at all. Yep, the gear that doesn't usually go bad in the motor? Worse than the one above. I pulled everything back out, then replaced the gear in the motor.

Problem is, something didn't go back together right. Now the motor is bound up and not turning at all. At this point, it'll have to wait for another time. Oh well at least I know how everything works now, and whenever I decide to dig back in, it won't take long.

Pulled the factory roof rack off last week when we test fit the tent. This left some nice wear points in the paint, and a little bit of rust around the holes, but honestly not too bad. I cleaned up the area, used a little white primer, and picked up some stainless hardware and sealing washers as a fix for now. We'll see if I get ambitious at some later date and do a proper repair.

I'll be picking up the new tent on Wednesday, can't wait for that! In prep, I ordered the roof brackets from @TRAIL TAILOR and got them primed, painted and ready to go. This will be very cool.

Today will be just as busy. Since the Masters broadcast moved to the morning, I'm watching that right now but I'll be in the garage soon. We're getting the rain right now that they will see in Augusta in a few hours, so I'm fine not being outside. Still to do today:

• Lay out the D-rings and straps in the back
  • Remove the rear seats and put in the new Front Runner water tank
  • Install a battery cutoff switch
  • Run down the problem with the cruise control
  • Test the new CB
If I get everything done, the only thing left will be the actual load out. Have to get as much done this week as I can, because I've got a business trip next week that runs right up to our departure for Moab. Work has been nightmarishly busy the last month, I seriously need this vacation!

Last edited:
Got the new tent! This thing is just fantastic, kudos to @JJBiggs for a beautiful tent, outstanding job. I cannot wait to get this out in the field for a real test. Beautifully made, solid as a rock, no wind noise, like it's just part of the truck.

Got it all mounted up and tested.

Ladder wasn't mounted yet, but now we've got a real attachment for it. I'll post up something on that soon.

Fits in the garage perfectly, exactly what I was after.

Home sweet home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom