Builds '81 Trekker ReDistruction (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Pacer

2019 Relic Run for her maiden voyage?

It's crazy to me, all these little details when it's so close.

Got myself a carpet kit for the cab off of eBay. I'll pull the seats, lay down a bit of sound deadener and the carpet the next time I touch it.

I have also recently pulled each wheel to tend to whatever was needed.
Front calipers (exercised) opened all the way and pumped back tight, fronts we're dragging a bit, this helped. Adjusted wheel bearings, found a bit of play in the lower trunnion on each side. I'll leave this for now. Whole front axle needs going through, but I have a plan :grinpimp:

The rear was okay, I pulled the drums and cleaned up back there. Ordered some new e-brake bell crank pivots and hardware from @beno to reserect the ebrake.

I have changed all the oils, it's full of coolant...
Need to dump some ATF in the PS and check for leaks.

I have fianlly stabbed the gas tank, with new rubber lines. I'm gonna fill it and run the engine on an alternate source at first to flush the rest of the old gunk from the fuel system.

I still need to fasten the bed and cap down.
They have been kind'a half installed since it's return from the fab shop. I should pull all of it and do it right, seal it all up.
I think I'll leave the windows and hatch off for now.

I am craving driving this thing the way I used to want to ride a motorcycle come this time of year. :steer:

Oh, and it's registered and insured! :bounce:

@Pacer

2019 Relic Run for her maiden voyage?

I haven't even taken it mall crawling yet and you want me to jump in the deep end? :steer:
I might take that slow drive with you next year Rob, unfortunately April is not in the cards for me this year.

That May green trail ride could be a good first outing. Loving your build Aaron impressive work she’s going to be a killer rig when “complete” (we know how that goes). My 2004 is still not complete lol!

IMG_20190516_165801.jpg

:bounce::steer:

So.....
That was underwhelming!
Took Theo out for a ride around the neighborhood. (Satisfying in its own right)

What can I say?
It's an old, rattling, underpowered mini truck on 33s with stock gears and a worn-out transmission.

The good:
Clutch feels strong, all gears and 4wd work.
Power steering and steering overall feels good. The lines are old, but holding for now.
Chinese carb works okay @VA.CRUISER wanted to know. Starts and idles perfect, it's rich and stinky on deceleration. Needs tweeking....
Fuel system/tank resto works.
No leaks.
Cooling system held temp.
It didn't burn to the ground :bounce:

Punch list time:
Set timing (we stopped a few times and adjusted it, but need to get a light on it.
Sort out vacuum lines and rebuild the vac advance on the distributor, one diaphragm leaks.
And because of the lack of advance, the engine falls on it's face as you get up in the RPMs

BRAKES! All around need work. I left it all stock and just cleaned/freed everything up previously.
Now I'm gonna install the double diaphragm booster, longer steel braded lines, V6 calipers/rotors and all the e-brake chits Beno sold me.

More sound deadening!
I have installed some in the doors and headliner, now time for the floors. Then I'll toss in a cheapo carpet kit I got on eBay a while back.

There is plenty more to do, but that's what it needs to get properly road worthy.

Stay tuned.

IMG_20190519_182740.jpg

Last edited:
What the hell are you up to now?

boing.jpg

RE: Punch list above ^^^

Exhaust: Yanked the stock manifold/down pipe/cat and installed a headder @jamarquardt22 gave me a while back. Added some parts store straight pipe and an old Flow Master I had in storage, thanks @Riverhead.

IMG_20190523_145928.jpg

Final pics to follow, pulled it all out to weld it up and make room for suspension removal....

IMG_20190523_154556.jpg

RE: Punch list

I started in on the brakes, was just going to replace the front with v6 calipers and rotors. I got the wrong rotors from Napa and couldn't track down the correct ones. This is still a mystery to me...

IMG_20190611_200944.jpg

The front axle seals are leaking, there is play in the trunnion bearings on both sides, and I happen to have THIS sitting beside the garage.

IMG_20190612_122838.jpg

V6 third with air locker and 4.88s, shaved drain plug, armor, braced and gusseted, v6 brakes, ifs knuckles, 59"wms, mount for ram assist. Unknown axles, but given the condition of the outside.... 🤷

IMG_20190612_120203.jpg

IMG_20190612_120212.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom