Events/Trails 80s on the Ershim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Dusy Ershim has been on my bucket list for years and I couldn’t imagine running it with a better bunch. We worked together efficiently even when attitudes clashed.
Thompson Hill is no joke and the 90 degree heat coupled with indescribable dust challenged our constitutions even more. We brought a lot of extra parts none of which were needed as we had zero vehicular failures. Plaudits to all for their vehicle builds and excellent pre-run preparation.

20 miles of the Dusy on the second day on minimal rest was a challenge itself but a challenge we welcomed after a long lunch break at Ershim lake where we made the collective decision to abort our much anticipated two night stay under the evergreen canopy due to the smoke plume in the distance.

Needless to say a sense of concern and the need for a quick but drama free exit to Kaiser pass was felt by all. I can’t stress enough how awesome this group of guys are to wheel with and I think the challenge of 20 miles in, I believe, around 13 hours wheeling time all the while thinking about the conflagration happening a couple ridges over serves to solidify what I say.

Once back to black top after dark, we worked together sharing the extra gas that was brought by some and air compressors by those who had them. I discovered a torn valve stem at my right rear. @Noahrob and his shotgun rider and long time wheeling buddy, Dan saw me bringing out the tire changing tools and jumped in immediately to assist in a very fast tire change. Before we were finished others came to help wrap it up by putting that flat and heavy 37 up on the carrier and off we went down the mountain with @GWNugget leading the way.

At the small town of Shaver Lake we all gassed up, shook hands and parted ways except my wife and I and @Broski. Our tow rigs were parked several miles up Dinkey Creek Road. When we arrived there at 10pm the air was clear and we were dead tired so we decided to sleep there before loading up the cruisers and heading out. About 4:30am we awoke to a very smokey atmosphere. My wife and I slept on cots atop my trailer deck with Gabby the super mini Aussie and had a light coating of ashes on our sleeping bags. Broski, being the nice guy that he is, made coffee inside his camper and still found time to help me load my rig on the trailer. I never thought I’d be happy to leave the mountain...
@Broski
@Noahrob
@malteserunner
@GW Nugget

Last edited:
I have almost no photos except a couple of myself extremely bound up on Thompson hill and about to winch. As the lead vehicle I focused more on finding lines and spotting. We must have pitched a ton of rocks into low spots in order to minimize the need to pull line. Got only one group photo.
F6A87B38-D8C3-4A3E-A16D-1C398E42027D.jpeg
6F21BB39-8DA0-456D-829D-E07C5FE8C406.jpeg
4C2164D8-D6B3-458E-9057-1A0678B94679.jpeg

Last edited:
Crazy 2 days indeed. 11 miles 1st day 20 miles the 2nd day.
I just saw this thread, but dont have time to write in detail of the adventure today. My daughter took a bunch of pic & vids... They are downloading to the PC & then I can edit, cut & brighten pics.
The fire has burned down onto the town of Shaver Lake now & blocking more exit roads to evacuate, please pray for the hundreds of people possibly traped up there. Hikers, hunters or horseback even on foot might be still up there without cell service.

Gary G.

What's the smallest tire size one could do this trail with?

Crazy 2 days indeed. 11 miles 1st day 20 miles the 2nd day.
I just saw this thread, but dont have time to write in detail of the adventure today. My daughter took a bunch of pic & vids... They are downloading to the PC & then I can edit, cut & brighten pics.
The fire has burned down onto the town of Shaver Lake now & blocking more exit roads to evacuate, please pray for the hundreds of people possibly traped up there. Hikers, hunters or horseback even on foot might be still up there without cell service.

Gary G.

There's at least 50 hikers that people know of trapped by the fire. they will attempt an evac tomorrow morning. https://www.fresnobee.com/news/california/fires/article245549140.html

What's the smallest tire size one could do this trail with?
I wouldn’t try it with nothing less than a newer set of 35’s, both diffs locked, a good working winch and a full set of armor and upgraded rear LCA’s. Bring lots of water and a strong back.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t try it with nothing less than a newer set of 35’s, both diffs locked, a good working winch and a full set of armor and upgraded rear LCA’s. Bring lots of water and strong back.

With accomplished driving skills, do you think could one get by with just a front diff locker?

You could do it on open diffs if you want to pitch a million rocks and risk burning your winch up. Our smallest tires were 37’s, all triple locked, all had good winches and we all winched at least once and would have winched more had we not known better to pitch rocks.

You could do it on open diffs if you want to pitch a million rocks and risk burning your winch up. Our smallest tires were 37’s, all triple locked, all had good winches and we all winched at least once and would have winched more had we not known better to pitch rocks.
I didn't winch...;)

Noahrob on Thompsom Hill
1599532610183.png
1599532690702.png
1599532749925.png
1599533419279.png
1599533468477.png

Noah did a nice job of driving his Reg through with out winching. But this was not the line that got him through this spot.

This is the only picture I got of GWNugget on Thompson Hill
1599534383380.png

And a few more of Gary on the lower part on the first day.
1599535340965.png
1599535548885.png
1599535599714.png

Thompson Hill is no joke. Endless climb through baby head boulders with dug out steps thrown in for fun. It says something about your group that there was no break downs. I don't think I've ever run it without some kind of carnage. Its too bad you guys had to rush through the trail. I couldn't imagine finishing that second leg in one afternoon. It is definitely a trail to spend time to appreciate fishing the lakes and climbing some of the granite peaks.

I got a few of Malteserunner
1599536089337.png

This one is at Tompsons hill, It was most likely the hardest spot. The pictures never do justice. And we did stack some rocks.
Several different lines were tried at this spot, it was just a hard spot.
1599536306200.png

I was able to get a few more of Adam & his fearless co-pilot Matthew near the end of the trail.
1599537160735.png
1599537189178.png
1599537229488.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom