Builds 808's In Too Deep Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha everyone!

Wife and I inherited a 1992 Land Cruiser from her father. We're expecting our third child early next year and we decided that rather than spend money on a new family rig and have a car note, let's build (or rebuild) our ultimate family outdoors vehicle.

From here, we already knew that we'd be in too deep on this project.

My father-in-law parked the '92 after having an overheating issue back in 2003 and hasn't driven nor started it since. Supposedly it was rebuilt and the overheating issue was addressed by the mechanic. Long story short, he got taken by a shady mechanic for over $3,000. The engine was supposedly "rebuilt" throughout. This wouldn't be the case. Pictures below will speak for themselves.

For half of those 14+ years it was parked outside and the tires were beyond rotten and unable to be inflated. At this point, I decided to replace the wheels and throw on some 285/75's and 16" Method Vex wheels on her so I can at least roll it around without more effort than needed.

The real fun began when we started ripping apart the engine and found out the supposedly rebuilt engine was never touched and head gasket was trashed. That's not even the worst of it. Pretty much the entire engine is seized and rusted together.

A few days ago, I was able to find a rebuilt zero mile engine to start my journey. From there, I'm sure that I will be replacing much more (transmission, fuel system, brakes, etc.), but I will have to be patient and do things one at a time and address everything so the end result is a safe and reliable family rig.

This thread will be updated as I slowly complete the rebuild.

On to the pics...

IMG_8451.JPG

IMG_8455.JPG

IMG_8463.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

If only I could say the same for the engine bay. This is where sh!t gets thick. Pun intended! I can't wait to replace all of this crud.

IMG_8483.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8489.JPG

Oh man, good luck.

Man.. and I thought my car was a project. Have fun!

Reactions: 808
Subscribed!

i bought a 96 LX cheap off someone for parts last year and thats what it looked like when i pulled the head. might as well toss it and start over man.

This is the rebuilt motor? after or before 3000$
This is the condition of the engine/head when I pulled it out of my father in law's garage after it sat for as long as it did. This motor was supposedly fully rebuilt in the early 2000's. After opening it up, it was clear that nothing was done and it was neglected.

I have a fully rebuilt zero mile motor coming and will start from there. Project of all projects. :worms:

That looks like a pretty nice truck when you factor out that disgusting pile of an engine. Good luck with the rebuild!

Between the rear seat covers (which are probably a crime in most states) and the innards of the engine (which almost made me gag), you, sir, have the finest photos on Mud today.
Congrats!

That is one fine boat anchor or heavy duty coffee table you've got there.

Those seat covers make me think:

Brown Chicken Brown Cow!
Brown Chicken Brown Cow!
Brown Chicken Brown Cow!

Unfortunately, that is one of those times that a 3FE DID have a head gasket issue.......

That a crime! Nice truck, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom