Builds 808's In Too Deep Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's one way to kill a 3FE. Good luck and can't wait to see where this goes!

I didn't think it was possible to kill a 3FE in 161K miles....but I was wrong! That engine is UGLY :eek:.

Best of luck, the rest is very nice looking.

I didn't think it was possible to kill a 3FE in 161K miles....but I was wrong! That engine is UGLY :eek:.

Best of luck, the rest is very nice looking.

If this were my vehicle from the start, maintenance would have been paramount.

Going forward, it will be!

Torque converter is stuck and won’t turn. Would a repair kit work if I am able to free it or better off getting a working one?

38D26ECC-5B59-4A21-94D7-A767349F9B64.jpeg

E463B846-9D6F-40B6-8ECC-9321F08FE569.jpeg

Talk about the perfect candidate for a V8 swap. As is, expect every seal to start leaking once you do get it back on the road. Going to be sweet once you get it done :beer:

DAMN! That's some messed up sh!t right there!

Good luck!

Did you happen to notice it was a HEAD GASKET?

:moon::rofl:

The head gasket was trashed. Doesn't mean it failed. The shady mechanic probably figured that it was a HG because that is normal when a vehicle overheats badly...

29689ADF-3EE8-43E8-B611-C9F3F2673A83.jpeg
Almost there. Having trouble finding a fuel sending unit and bracket hanger. The one on this thing was like everything else...done!

i prefer OEM but i don't think you can really go wrong with either! excited for this project!

Koyo no longer makes the radiators for our trucks. Hard to find an OEM one too.

1-800 Radiator makes an all metal one with brass end tanks and 3 row that is of really great build quality. I’ll report back when I pick it up on Monday and put it in.

Update:

Been busy working and new addition to the family (third kiddo).

Finally got around to starting it after putting in new radiator and white smoke out of the tailpipe even after it was warm. It didn’t have a gas or burning oil smell.

Temp gauge began to slowly creep and the heater on full blast trick wasn’t helping. Turned off, and let it cool down.

I intially thought of air bubbles in the radiator and to add more coolant as the tank seemed dry. No sign of leaks even after starting.

Being that this is a zero mile rebuilt motor, I am hoping that the worst is NOT to ever come.

After topping off coolant, temp gauge remained normal after 10+ minutes of idling.

Also noticed that this guy and the sensor above was not connected/broken.

Can’t pinpoint it. I feel defeated today. Any ideas?

DBAE5A00-FF15-4305-BDC5-1C9C8C69BD94.jpeg

It's possible that there was a LOT of coolant in the exhaust system that was finally hot enough to cook its way out. You may NOT have a problem. Run it some more and watch the temps. If the temps maintain, and you don't lose MORE coolant, then you MAY be OK. I have a Chevy pickupo that I filled the exhaust with coolant due to a head issue, so you may be having the same issue.

Good Luck!

Also, the other poster about the every seal needing replaced after sitting for 14 years is absolutely correct. Disuse is hard on a car.

Oil is murky and coolant went down again. It's the head gasket.

I guess the only good news is that I just rolled it out of the garage and never drove it. Head probably wasn't torqued down properly and I need to change that, flush/replace the fluids again, and pray for another miracle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom