80 series steering box with upgraded 105 sector shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

Have any of you converted your 60 series steering box to the 80 series? Then, has anyone further upgraded to the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm?

I have a 80 series steering box on my 60. Wondering if it is worth the $600 to upgrade to the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm? I do not off-road and I am running 31” tires. I like the idea of rebuilding my steering box. Don’t really like the cost.

Thanks for any thoughts

Not worth it for little tires. I run heavy 255/85r16 33” tires and I have a stock parts house 80 box on my truck. Zero issues wheeling it.

You'll be fine sticking with the stock 80 series box. I've been running one for about 3-4 years with the same size tires as hemialex, 255/85/16. I rack up a lot of miles in a year and have had the 60 in mud, sand, rocks, water, more mud, a few more rocks, with stretches of pavement in between. Stock 80 series box does the job and I wouldn't consider going the 105 sector shaft because you'll then have to use the 80 series pitman arm.

Another angle to approach this is:
If you completely rebuild the steering gearbox now with upgraded parts, you’ll be able to do it now.
Many years from now when you actually do need to rebuild the steering box, the parts you want may not be available anymore — and you’ll be SOL.

I caution this in painful retrospect.
Parts availability doesn’t last forever.

Another angle to approach this is:
If you completely rebuild the steering gearbox now with upgraded parts, you’ll be able to do it now.
Many years from now when you actually do need to rebuild the steering box, the parts you want may not be available anymore — and you’ll be SOL.

I caution this in painful retrospect.
Parts availability doesn’t last forever.

A very good point. Just when I decided to let it be…

Anyone have a pic of the 60 series pitman arm next to the 105 sector shaft pitman arm? Curious as to how different they are?

I thought I read a post where you can ream out the 60 series pitman arm to fit the 105.

Won't work. The end of the sector shaft is splined as is the pitman arm where it slides on. Reaming out the pitman arm would remove the splines.

the 80 series box is only a direct bolt on for the later 85?+ 60 series box
you didn't say what year you are working with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom