Door Lock Actuators Intermittent - '93 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi... I have a small issue with my door lock actuator. Intermittent issue cropped up this past weekend after the car had been sitting for a week, and has been continuing for the past several days.

Ordinarily when I unlock/lock the driver's door externally with the key, all door/tailgate actuators will unlock/lock. Starting this weekend and over the past several days, occasionally only the driver's door will actuate. Then, if I use the switch on the driver's door, nothing actuates nor do I hear any noises/clicking (a problem for letting in passengers). After I start the car, the lock switch then functions and all doors will unlock/lock on command. After I shut the car down, the central locking works as normal when locking the driver's door externally.

Thoughts on how to proceed? Lubricating the locks is probably in order, but I'm also wondering if it might be related to battery voltage when sitting for awhile. I haven't observed any problems cranking or otherwise starting the car.

Still have the original alarm installed?

I agree with you that it may be related to battery voltage.

1. What is the voltage at the battery after it's sat for a few days?
2. What is the voltage at the door lock actuator after it's sat for a few days (when it's being actuated)?
3. What is the voltage at the battery with the engine running?
4. What is the voltage at the door lock actuator with the engine running (when it's being actuated)?

If it's not a battery voltage issue, you may be able to disassemble the actuators and clean & regrease them or you may have to replace them or it could have something to do with the original alarm (possible a voltage issue related to the originaly alarm).

Timely post. As of last week my doors were all working fine. I have a “Silencer” brand alarm and the fob was working to unlock and lock all five doors. Now the fob only works intermittently (I’m in the process of getting new batteries), but I have a similar problem with the key.

When I insert the key into either front door it unlocks both fronts and the rear tail gate but it will not unlock the two back doors. When I try to use the door lock button the drivers side door it also only works on the fronts and the tail.

I have to manually unlock both rear doors and lock them manually. They can not be actuated with the key or the front door switch.

I have checked the fuses. Also the only new thing that has happened was I had a new rear bumper with lights installed. I took the vehicle back to the installer and he couldn’t find an issue and he said the locks and the lighting are separate systems.

No alarm system currently. I uninstalled an aftermarket system a few months ago and will install a compustar system in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom