80 Series brake hydro booster conversion installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As you said ABS removal is subjective. My experience was good, however, I also deleted the LSPV, installed slotted disk with good semi-metallic pads and lots of flushing. Now I can lock my 35" Toyo MT's on command.

The pedal still takes more force than I would like and have noticed that the amount of pressure needed to hold it at a light or on an obstacle can easily become fatiguing. This is an interesting upgrade, nice work. I'm sub'd.
I hear you, I have drilled/slotted EBC pads new remanned calipers fresh lines from slee and no ABS or LSPV anymore at all. and joeys ABS delete kit of course lol

Also can you set it up for line lock? I'm sure there will be a huge demand for that with all the part-time 4x4 cruisers that will be adding joeys turbo kit.

@baldilocks what exact application is your booster from? I just noticed that the rod/pedal attachment is much more Cruiser-friendly then the typical big-3 application (I had to cut mine and re-thread it).

Last edited:
Thank you @baldilocks for the detailed pictomentary and @cruisermatt for providing the info for the budget minded dudes.

I hadn't realized that hydro boost goes back that far in older rigs! For the turbo'ed rigs, good braking is now vital.

For the turbo'ed rigs, good braking is now vital.

I've never understood this thought process. There's no difference in stopping from 80mph with 500hp or 100hp.
That's assuming we're all driving at or under the posted legal speed limit ;)

Great thread. I am very unhappy with the braking power of our rigs, especially fully loaded. Can I ask how much time you have in this?
Time? In weeks or hours? I worked on it sporadically so your question is difficult to answer. I’m rather picky and therefore slow but my guess is probably around 40 hours. I could do it much more quickly the next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
@baldilocks what exact application is your booster from? I just noticed that the rod/pedal attachment is much more Cruiser-friendly then the typical big-3 application (I had to cut mine and re-thread it).
I’m no expert on hydro boosters but, Matt Sweeting, owner of Power Brake Service, told me that mine is a GM booster. All parts were included in the kit he put together and the booster went in easily with no fussing once I rotated the mounting plate that was pre-installed 180* so the booster could be mounted upside down.

Reactions: RFB
One important bit that I did mention earlier but would like to make clear is that, on an 80 with 1fz, the hydro booster has to be mounted upside down in order to fit. This meant that I had to remove the huge nut that retains the mounting plate that came pre-installed and rotate the plate 180*. Also, note that the plate is keyed to the booster.

Also can you set it up for line lock? I'm sure there will be a huge demand for that with all the part-time 4x4 cruisers that will be adding joeys turbo kit.

I don’t see why not.

I've never understood this thought process. There's no difference in stopping from 80mph with 500hp or 100hp.

You're correct, it shouldn't matter but post turbo, the 80 will get to a speed much faster and some hooning *may* take place. Guaranteed this will take place on dirt and with decent braking, along with some quick thinking, sprinkled with few OH s***S may allow the driver to recover from a disaster. I'm only speaking for myself because I'm part time and I'm totally visualizing this scenario. :doh:

The argument would be since you are accelerating faster and with much more force, if you need to make a stop or evasive maneuver with this higher momentum that better brakes would be valuable. IMO the 80 brakes are not that bad and adequate for the majority of situations, especially if you run EBC pads and do some of the other small upgrades that have been mentioned. Its a 22 year old truck that many of us are running at 7k lbs. What can you really expect?

One important bit that I did mention earlier but would like to make clear is that, on an 80 with 1fz, the hydro booster has to be mounted upside down in order to fit. This meant that I had to remove the huge nut that retains the mounting plate that came pre-installed and rotate the plate 180*. Also, note that the plate is keyed to the booster.

So if we call that guy from the company you purchased from, I’d assume now that he has pieced together your kit, he would have some knowledge of what’s needed & should be quicker, time-wise, to get a set up sent out?

I saw you said you replaced the calipers. Was this an upgrade from OEM, or just PM? Any difference than OEM calipers?

I like the “cheaper option” of using the GMC van MC. Less $ and parts more available from local parts stores.

Proportioning valve. Did you find this to be a recommended addition? If not, I think simplicity (less parts) would be ideal.

Did you know the brake booster would not fit, except upside, down prior purchase? With that knowledge now, is there another similar model that would fit in the correct orientation? Does the BB really care how it’s mounted, is it really any more difficult to bleed the lines?

Hydro & hydro-electric, what’s the difference/which is better? Any reason you went with your as opposed to the other?

I really like this idea. Waiting on Joey’s turbo kit to arrive, better braking ability sounds awesome.

Proportioning valve. Did you find this to be a recommended addition? If not, I think simplicity (less parts) would be ideal.

Yes you need this, otherwise you will lock the rears way before the fronts under a hard brake, especially with an AWD 80. And in the rain on mud tires this will result in a spin out of control. This is assuming you have ABS deleted.
Delete the factory LSPV and install a manual valve, go out to some isolated roads to get it dialed in. Then drive happily.

If the brake master cylinder is mounted upside down how do you fill the fluid especially when bleeding?

I’m no expert on hydro boosters but, Matt Sweeting, owner of Power Brake Service, told me that mine is a GM booster. All parts were included in the kit he put together and the booster went in easily with no fussing once I rotated the mounting plate that was pre-installed 180* so the booster could be mounted upside down.

Maybe you and @NLXTACY can get together and create a kit!!! I see myself wanting one bad!

it already is a kit, they give you everything you need to make it work, Im sure joey could fancy it up tho.

Maybe you and @NLXTACY can get together and create a kit!!! I see myself wanting one bad!

I bet everyone who buys Joey’s turbo kit would like this in a complete kit form. I know I would. 😉

I’d suggest an OEM master cylinder for availability of roadside repairs.

it already is a kit, they give you everything you need to make it work, Im sure joey could fancy it up tho.

Sounded like some parts were sourced at NAPA, some via Amazon or eBay. It would be awesome for everything compiled, tested, & known to install without issue or additional parts sourcing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom