80/20 with Stock Roof Rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2468844
View attachment 2468845

This was my solution to that problem. I didn’t feel great with the size of the nuts that came with the brackets. I made washers out of aluminum. I also tapped the end of the rails and put some bolts in to add more contact points for support.

Yep, this is the most solid solution I could think of too, just ran out of time to make that many little custom washers, I may end up pulling mine all off and doing this as well as the washers made installation a real PITA and will probably rust one day. Looks great, thanks for sharing.

I made generic L brackets to hold my awning along side the RTT. Used generic drop in nuts from Amazon to secure the brackets to the 8020 cross bars. The tent and awning worked great together on the 8020 crossbars!
1603303736039.png

1603303850876.png

I am starting to find that the bolts securing the rails to the roof like to loosen up a little after a couple of months. When this happens I hear a bit of creaking from the roof rack. I think some lock washers on all the hardware should fix that problem, but in the meantime I just carry the allen wrench for those in my door pocket.

I made generic L brackets to hold my awning along side the RTT. Used generic drop in nuts from Amazon to secure the brackets to the 8020 cross bars. The tent and awning worked great together on the 8020 crossbars!

I am starting to find that the bolts securing the rails to the roof like to loosen up a little after a couple of months. When this happens I hear a bit of creaking from the roof rack. I think some lock washers on all the hardware should fix that problem, but in the meantime I just carry the allen wrench for those in my door pocket.

How did you attach your tent to the 8020?

How did you attach your tent to the 8020?
I used 4 of these, one at each corner. Fastened with two bolts (one on each end) to the 8020 bar and and one up to the tent. Seems to be working well. The clearance is tight to get the tent bolted on, but it can be done.
1603374141707.png

I used 4 of these, one at each corner. Fastened with two bolts (one on each end) to the 8020 bar and and one up to the tent. Seems to be working well. The clearance is tight to get the tent bolted on, but it can be done.

That’s a good idea. I tried to mount mine with the ubolts but I couldn’t fit my hand or a tool under the tent to start the nuts. Did you drill through the side of the tracks on the bottom of the tent to attach the bolts?

That’s a good idea. I tried to mount mine with the ubolts but I couldn’t fit my hand or a tool under the tent to start the nuts. Did you drill through the side of the tracks on the bottom of the tent to attach the bolts?
My ARB tent has tracks that the head of a mounting bolt fits into. I used the mounting hardware that came with the tent, but had to cut the bolt length so it would not hit the roof. This bolt is what goes through the 8020 bracket.

This is the ARB mounting track (not my picture). I have guide marks scratched into the ARB rail so I know where to position the bolts when setting the tent on the roof so everything lines up.
1603375273504.png

Can anyone recommend a rotopax mount that would be bolt on, if I replaced my factory crossbars with the 1515 sized extrusions? I was hoping for something with a good amount of adjustment, as I may want to mount it along with a roof top cargo box.

I also made a 80/20 rack. There are a lot of ways to put this together. After about 4 years, I tend not to use my rack since it is so high up and I am worried about the material moving with ratchet tie downs. Does anyone have a good solution for tiedowns like a semi truck trailer? Something that is simple and easy to do.

Here is a link to my rack post.

Can anyone recommend a rotopax mount that would be bolt on, if I replaced my factory crossbars with the 1515 sized extrusions? I was hoping for something with a good amount of adjustment, as I may want to mount it along with a roof top cargo box.
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am looking to mount a rotopax to either the stock roof rails or the 1515 extrusion. Not sure which way I want to go yet. Thanks

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am looking to mount a rotopax to either the stock roof rails or the 1515 extrusion. Not sure which way I want to go yet. Thanks

I just mounted up some 15-series 8020 bars I bought used here on the forums. Have two rotopax mounts that I "made" using a 7 hole plate from 80/20. Had to drill extra holes in the plate for the Rotopax bracket, and the original holes work great for mounting to the bars. Final setup is really solid, and I'm only using the two outermost holes for securing the flat plate to the 1515 bar.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5670.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5676.jpg

The 15 series holes happen to line up really well with the Rotopax mount holes on a diagonal also if you're willing to mount it at a weird angle.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5674.jpg

No DM’s about my question. @LndXrsr looks to be on something. I was hoping for something more plug and play. His is quite simple though.

So this would cost a bit more money, but what do you think about this for mounting them in a more plug and play way?
Rotopax Mount.jpg

No DM’s about my question. @LndXrsr looks to be on something. I was hoping for something more plug and play. His is quite simple though.

I suspect a flat plate from a different series (instead of the 15-series plate I used) would have potentially proper hole spacing to just bolt up the Rotopax bracket without drilling new holes. From there, 2 or 3 holes in a single row on the plate, would bolt to a 15-series bar no matter their spacing.

I just picked up some Yakima Mighty Mounts and will try mounting the Rotopax universal plate to the stock roof rack cross bars with these Mighty Mounts (size 23H).

I suspect a flat plate from a different series (instead of the 15-series plate I used) would have potentially proper hole spacing to just bolt up the Rotopax bracket without drilling new holes. From there, 2 or 3 holes in a single row on the plate, would bolt to a 15-series bar no matter their spacing.
What’s the hole spacing on the rotopax?

I don't have the Rotopax yet. I ordered the universal mounting plate though which should arrive within the next week.
Oops, sorry I meant to quote @LndXrsr.

Did you get the single or the double mounting plate? I’ll probably order mine tomorrow and then mount it how I showed in my sketch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom