79+ floor pan in older tub (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used a 79 and newer floor pan in their older tub so the gas tank can go under the floor? Not concerned with the tank in the cab but to me it’s a cleaner look with it under the tub. Since I need to replace the whole floor pan I’m running through ideas.

I haven't done it but it is my understanding that there were frame changes to accomidate the under floor tank. You'd probably also have to account for fastener for rear tailgate.

Frame may not be an issue. The torque tube behind the transfer case moved slightly back 9/72 when the four speed started being used in some markets. May not have moved again 1/79. When the H55F started 10/82 it was not offered in the long wheel base because Toyota chose to keep the hand brake on the transfer case. It would cleared the torque with hand brake. Frame wise using pre 9/72 may not be any different than a 1/79-10/82. Biggest challenge in a pre 1/79 is the transmission tunnel area when install a H55F.

Frame may not be an issue. The torque tube behind the transfer case moved slightly back 9/72 when the four speed started being used in some markets. May not have moved again 1/79. When the H55F started 10/82 it was not offered in the long wheel base because Toyota chose to keep the hand brake on the transfer case. It would cleared the torque with hand brake. Frame wise using pre 9/72 may not be any different than a 1/79-10/82. Biggest challenge in a pre 1/79 is the transmission tunnel area when install a H55F.
So if I’m wanting to put a h55 in then going with a 79+ floor pan would help?

So if I’m wanting to put a h55 in then going with a 79+ floor pan would help?

Yes and no. The 1/79-10/82 requires fewer mods and looks closer stock when done. 9/72-1/79 while needing more mods the section needed the mods is a separate piece and can be done outside the vehicle. E-9/72 has a channel at the back of the transmission cover the removed for a four speed and the cover was longer. Ideally a 10/82+ floor would need no mods.

Here is what the section in front of the inspection cover looks like starting 10/82. Left side is the earlier height. Toyota raised the rest when the five speed started. I know it's been done with less height added.
P1050977.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom