76' FJ40 Emergency Brake stuck... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pulled my 40 forward to install new wheels & tires and once I was ready to reverse the vehicle back to its parking spot it would not move. I jacked up the rear and the wheels spin freely in neutral, I tried putting in in reverse and forward and nothing moves, I can't get it to budge either way while in neutral either. I was thinking it's the emergency brake. the emergency brake is on the back of the transfer case, So I was wondering if the E. brake cable or a spring broke would it lock it up? I just need to move the 40 back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank You in advance...

What does it feel like when you pull the e-brake handle? Working properly it should click about 5-8 times and then tension up as the shoes tighten against the drum and the propeller shaft can't turn.

it tightens fine 5-9 clicks, its a bit stubborn to take off. I just went under and tapped on the parking brake drum. Then started it up and thought that would cure everything. it wants to go forward but the rear end lifts up and then it just won't go forward or reverse.

What does it feel like when you pull the e-brake handle? Working properly it should click about 5-8 times and then tension up as the shoes tighten against the drum and the propeller shaft can't turn.
, If it was the parking brake, and the 40 was on jack stands would the propeller shaft be able to turn freely?

No, it shouldn't. The parking brake is on the propeller shaft
KeilOver, Thank you. it moves freely. So maybe it is a TC problem or transmission issue. I just wish it would move in neutral I could push it back to the spot and get a tow in there to take it to a Mechanic.

Did you jack up the front to see those wheels are free?

what wheels and tires did you put on?
any chance the backspacing is too deep and both front wheels are jammed up tight into the tie rod ends?

nothing to do with your park brake, people have driven thru the brake and broke the 4 bolts holding the backing plate to the transfer case.

Pics and more history might help. What tire and rim size did you put on? Original drum front axle or disc conversion?

3_puppies, the tires are BFG T/A KO2 30X9.5R15LT on stock 15" steel wheels, Brian I appreciate the extra conclusion on clearance issues. BeerM3 The tires and wheels the PO had put on were Non Directional military surplus on 16X7.0 military rims, I purchased some stock 15" rims from a CL sale. The vin plate on my FJ40 says production 12/75 when I pulled the tires off the front it was equipped with disc brakes and drums on the rear. So I jacked up the front and tried to spin the driver side tire first and it was a no go, I swapped out the new wheel for the old wheel & it spun just fine. I removed the other side as it was the same issue and replaced it with the old wheel & it spun fine. I tried to move the FJ but it still felt like the rear was binding so I think I will switch back to the old wheels & see if that allows it to move. After removing the front wheels I noticed I chewed up the inside perhaps where the caliper was on the front disc. I am thinking in my mind that perhaps I have to have a spacer for my wheels to have clearance? Do I perhaps have the wrong wheels?

20200602_190242.jpg

20200602_201754.jpg

20200603_214413.jpg

20200603_214649.jpg

stock disc brake front end needs NON riveted rims
you have riveted rims which are stock for early 40 Land cruisers up to about 1974? then they switched to welded, non riveted rims.
the welded rims will give the clearance needed for the disc brake parts.

you have riveted rims which are stock for early 40 Land cruisers up to about 1974? then they switched to welded, non riveted rims.
Can I use a spacer? Or is it still an issue?

The silver lining is you've likely found the problem and you have a nice set of rims that someone else will want. People have used spacers, but from my studying (I also plan to get some OEM steelies down the road) it's mixed results. Best bet is to probably sell and buy the welded rims, but that's not to say it can't be retrofitted with spacers and grinding.

Thank you to everybody that gave me insight as to what I did wrong. I really appreciate all the help.

9-75 is when front drums went away.
welded wheels started to show up late 73 to early 74.
the spare on my 75 is mounted on a 4-74 dated welded wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom