Builds 73 series wheeler project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scc special covid edition is done and the parts 1HZ still runs so it will go to Roundup in a few weeks as is and I will find another engine at a later time

BEFC66A0-9771-4B75-8851-A93976BC449C.jpeg
BC5DB9AF-F961-409B-99A0-B95743754420.jpeg
3036812E-4DCA-4E73-8748-8E87DC27DF7C.jpeg

OEM rear axle shaft let go after 3 years of wheeling , it was cryo treated so that might have helped a bit but the splines where twisted and the shaft snapped in half.

OEM no longer available and NITRO and RCV are both out of inventory but luckely enough a buddy hooked me up with a set of nos Nitro shafts , these don't seem to have the best reputation but a 135hp from the 1HZ might help keep them from twisting , I run Nitro's in the front and am happy with those.

The broken part of the shaft was stuck inside the axle housing and wasn't coming out so I cut the housing open to help it a bit ;)

HOLY COW.... that is a big "window"..... that reminded me of the cow with the glass side in it so you could see inside...
1631646845629.png

I did the axle machining mod found here on MUD to prevent the axle getting stuck in the diff on a locked rear after it gets twisted. Not sure that would have helped in that situation or not. It is a good preventative measure. I will search for it. It may have been Tool R Us (RIP) that came up with it. Can't remember.

Here's the link to a great thread on it.

The RCV 80 rear M300 axles come that way ;)
Seeing that the axle was snapped in two I don't think it would of helped 🤷‍♂️
Good point. You'd be in there digging the rest out anyway:confused:

I also swapped the stock 73 brake master and booster with a HDJ80 one , you can definetly see that both the booster and the master are upgrades over the 70 series model.

It's a big improvement you feel? I was wondering how I could get more pedal ( with my big brake conversion)

It's a big improvement you feel? I was wondering how I could get more pedal ( with my big brake conversion)
Running 40 inch tires on heavy beadlock wheels and it stops so for sure a good upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom