Builds 73 series wheeler project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great Progress Joe, looking SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great looking 73 Joeri!
I've got a question about your hydro assist steering. Do you use the stock 1hd powersteering pump or something else?

Great looking 73 Joeri!
I've got a question about your hydro assist steering. Do you use the stock 1hd powersteering pump or something else?

Using the stock pump for now , I guess I will soon find out how it performs on the rocks.

Time to go have some fun!!

Using the stock pump for now , I guess I will soon find out how it performs on the rocks.
Running the same Hydro Assist from west Texas off road with a stock pump on my FZJ80 and it works great in the rocks , it will stall a bit at idle, but you get used to that fast. Total worth it to be able to turn with the front locked and in the big rocks.
Love this build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever taken one of those pumps apart or tried to modify them? It might be worth it to open it up and look for a flow restriction inside, should help the low-Rpm flow.

West Texas off road Modify's stock Pumps, they said it was a no go with the fzj pump. But no i did not try myself.

Yes there is a flow restriction -- If I recall, under the banjo bolt. I drilled mine out and could not tell much difference. I think the second time I pulled it out all together, but that was many beers ago.

Getting closer ☺️

Nice work Joe! Absolutely love it!

I have, drilled out the restrictor and shimmed the relief spring. Really didn't notice any difference like I have in Suzuki and mini truck pumps. Next time I have the chance I'm going to do some math and compare the displacement of each pump. I have a couple spares and might try machining them for more displacement when I get some time.
Has anyone ever taken one of those pumps apart or tried to modify them? It might be worth it to open it up and look for a flow restriction inside, should help the low-Rpm flow.

Carry on! Really digging this build!

I have, drilled out the restrictor and shimmed the relief spring. Really didn't notice any difference like I have in Suzuki and mini truck pumps. Next time I have the chance I'm going to do some math and compare the displacement of each pump. I have a couple spares and might try machining them for more displacement when I get some time.

Carry on! Really digging this build!
Where can I learn/read about these arts? Got a favorite thread?

Loaded up and ready or not I am on my way to Roundup with it. Figured out the winch issue this morning and then spend most of the day doing little stuff and went to the muffler shop this afternoon for a full exhaust. Apparently even in Texas there are some environmental regulations and the shop forced me to install a cat under it....... I asked them for a 2 ft section of tubing and as soon as I got home I removed that cat. Pretty sure there will be several issues showing up this weekend big and small , the urgent stuff will be done and the rest has to wait. With the added weight of the cage , doors, interior, spare parts and tools, batteries, 20 gallons of fuel I will have to add some pressure in the ORI’s and raise it an inch or 2 before wheeling.

7B9F64C1-CF5D-4E5B-9AD8-31438F63FFE3.jpeg
9FCAF26E-8FED-4FAD-8E5A-F214045D87F5.jpeg

Amazing job Joe , Have fun and take lots of pictures

Update after a weekend of wheeling at Roundup.The stock ps pump on a 1HZ is sufficient to move the redneck ram, I had to tighten the link with the Ram on it twice untill it finally stayed in place, I might tackweld those adjuster nuts to the link. It exceeded expectations and we had a blast wheeling all weekend , the front cable locker conversion works flawless with the T handlesfrom Chilkat but I had to disconnect the rear and jack the axle up and engage the locker manually, I might need to go to their old system with the big lever as it seems this one needs more persuading then the small T handle can provide.

Plenty of small thinghs I want to change or add but right now it’s back to bussiness and I probably start on it again the week before the next event wich will be the Toyota Jamboree in May ;)

AB934D3A-C745-4004-BD7A-766E5E84DCB3.jpeg
3C817430-6D07-4D69-8429-D34FA09D6BDD.jpeg
DB32BF83-6530-462A-887E-A8B05177A4AD.jpeg

Update after a weekend of wheeling at Roundup.The stock ps pump on a 1HZ is sufficient to move the redneck ram, I had to tighten the link with the Ram on it twice untill it finally stayed in place, I might tackweld those adjuster nuts to the link. It exceeded expectations and we had a blast wheeling all weekend , the front cable locker conversion works flawless with the T handlesfrom Chilkat but I had to disconnect the rear and jack the axle up and engage the locker manually, I might need to go to their old system with the big lever as it seems this one needs more persuading then the small T handle can provide.

Plenty of small thinghs I want to change or add but right now it’s back to bussiness and I probably start on it again the week before the next event wich will be the Toyota Jamboree in May ;)

View attachment 1931945View attachment 1931946View attachment 1931947

Man that thing looks awesome. Glad you made it happen.

I think I see my new baby in the background a couple of pictures up. Your truck makes me excited to get to work on it.

Hay Joe
Looks like you had a good time, and I like that you not afraid to use it. I see the dent in the upper rear drivers quarter. I was hoping for some feedback on the link suspension, was also curious about the hydro asst. Any stalling at idle if you turn the wheel fast ?
Did you do any gear reduction in the transfer case ?

PS Relly like the build RB

Hay Joe
Looks like you had a good time, and I like that you not afraid to use it. I see the dent in the upper rear drivers quarter. I was hoping for some feedback on the link suspension, was also curious about the hydro asst. Any stalling at idle if you turn the wheel fast ?
Did you do any gear reduction in the transfer case ?

PS Relly like the build RB

The 1HDT idles a but higher then a 1HZ and I had no issues stalling it untill I tried to drop the rpms when idling to low at one point. Suspension did great but in blasting in 2 wd high on some very bumpy sandy road flat out gave me a bit of a scare , when the cruiser brakes out in the rear the suspension make it drop bad at that side and countersteering with the slower hydro assist will take some time to get used to that. Axles has 5.29 gears in them and transfer case has the 4:1 reduction gears.

So after wheeling it for a year I decided some things needed to be changed , I always loved the classic look of the ARB bumper but unfortunately reality is that it kills my front approach angle and I hate to be the guy that needs to winch up because of that so the ARB is history and I am gonna reuse the oem 24v Aisin winch but modify a Warn 8274 plate and bring it as far back and as low as possible in to the frame for better center of gravity . The wheels and tires will be changed also as I picked up a set of raceline beadlock wheels with some 40' stickie Treps ;)

As usual progress is slow but here are a few pics already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom