Builds 73 series wheeler project (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's enough that I noticed it before reading the caption. Anyways looks good. I like your upper link mount on the axle, it's simple but strong and effective. It's tricky to work with the offset diff.

Looks like you did a lot of sheetmetal cutting, can you post a zoomed out picture? For tire clearence or?

Body was dented and crusty , I will be welding in newer larger wheelwells that also will be sitting higher up in the body for more clearance and I want to keep the cruiser as low as possible.

After a month or so with no possibility to work on this I finally had the chance to get a full days work on it done. The front suspension seems way more challenging then the rear. I moved the axle about 4.5” forward and am thinking of using an 80 series steering box with the forward facing pitman arm vs the oem reverse 7x box.

I also figured it might be a good idea to make a new crossmember for the transmission that also holds the brackets for the lower and upper link.

B2067C0F-FAD4-4A45-B04D-1E3395132D97.jpeg
076D14C2-35D6-405C-8F02-47A77D602755.jpeg
451BC4C2-217C-446C-B795-1EA5BCB79783.jpeg

I know that is a thick bracket but it will bend and warp if you wheel it hard. There is a lot of force on those lower links.

I know that is a thick bracket but it will bend and warp if you wheel it hard. There is a lot of force on those lower links.

Yeah I know but once all the links are on I will try to brace it as good as possible.

Reinforced the center crossmember a bit and picked up a set of rare 16/8 OEM steel wheels from a later model HDJ80 with the 24 V FT engine ;)

IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2483.JPG
IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG

Front and rear suspension are done , I decided on using a HDJ80 steering gearbox that after fitting I sent off to West Texas Offroad for rebuild and tap for one of their Redneck rams. I started on the sliders also and will connect the center hoop of the future roll cage in to them. Also started to put back some sheetmetal on the rear wheel well , not gonna be pretty but better then just have everything cut out off it.

55B9BA25-271A-4D19-938E-12F08535E662.jpeg
B54F2232-01AD-40DA-8A36-0554F08FFA68.jpeg

That is cooler than penguin balls. I can't wait to see it down south.

Put the rear quarter panels in it , I made the opening for the wheelwell about 4 inches wider and around 2 inches higher up in the body. Also got some work done on the inner fenders and picked up the tubing for the rollcage.

E3865A9F-B686-4A90-B820-0A1734052336.jpeg
C20741F7-201E-4379-B1AF-9A6B4F0F5333.jpeg

It probably won’t be completely done but it will be running and driving and I will be wheeling it there , finishing touches and details are probably for later.

And we will wait for that later time .. !

looking good my friend !

Steering gearbox came back from West Texas Offroad together with one of their redneck rams. To bad I am to busy on a few other things as I really want to get these parts on it

Just found your build Joe, looking like a trail killer right their...also looking like a lot of cage tube on the floor also🆒

So with the Cruiser Roundup event being less then 10 days away I figured it was high time I got back to this one. The last 3 weeks have been crazy here with the arrival of a container paired with the usual hassle and small problems there has nothing been done to this since last time I posted. I had some new doors placed at the shop and the 73 was in the way so I needed to move it and it got finally on the lift .

The West Texas rebuild steering box came in with the Ram so I decided to tackle that today , I hope it all lears everything as I had no way to flex the suspension on the lift .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom