6BT Cummins Swap with Diesel Adapter's Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cim,

Which size outlet did you go with? I am considering switching up my accessory bracket when I rebuild my 6BT.
I stuck with Toyota size which is 1.5” I believe.

Says right on their site who they are...

94D68772-F3BC-4105-9208-815B8C6EF852.jpeg

Bumping this since DA is no longer in business. Looking to potentially do a 6bt/NV4500/HF2A swap.

I’ve been down the rabbit hole of 4bt/6bt swap threads this week for my 80 (or 60) looking over @Mr Cimarron @Wheelingnoob @Dirty Koala @boots4 @Hojack etc.

It looks like the Wits End NV4500-HF2A conversion kit is about the only deal in town these days.

I am fine with making motor mounts and trans crossmember. My main concern is AC and accessory brackets that DA used to make. Does anyone else make adapters needed or can you still find DA parts from other vendors? Any advice for a Cummins swap in general?

Jonesys over at NW is going to have some adapters for the NV4500 to the HF in the middle of august. I'm waiting for one myself, actually. I'm currently running his accessory bracket and I'm happy with how it looks and fit on my 12v so far. The only thing I would have preferred is a different thermostat housing and water outlet position, but that's just my personal preferrence on how I wanted it to look when it was done. His motor mounts wont work with my particular 80 due to it being a pre-1993, but if i interpret our conversations correctly, he had a few sets ready to be sold a few weeks ago.

He's been relatively helpful to me in gathering some information during my setup of the swap. Same with Mr Cim, I learned quite a bit trolling his thread. a lot of my questions have been my own silliness due to my rig being a RHD and already diesel.

There's a guy in AUS that also makes parts and he's who I got my mounts from (the pre-1993 issue stopped me here, you can read about it in my thread). He also is in process of making NV-HF adapters, and has his own design of accessory bracket. his bracket is designed to use toyota alternators and AC pump though, which doesn't really benefit us here in the states. It also employs a mechanical belt tensioner instead of the factory spring loaded dodge one. I'll try and find the video / pictures of it all from him and post them up. I'll also link to his site when its live for everyone here, too.

I can give anyone his FB info if they want - I just try not to post it everywhere so he doesn't get tons of messages to help respect his personal account lol.

@Defuzer1 My goodness. I can’t imagine the RPM’s at 70!

@mattimooseprime Keep in mind that Joey makes the NV4500-HF adapters too. He’s got a proven track record on here.

Lol the RPM's at higher speeds were part of my reason for choosing the NV4500 over my H151 when the ol' 1hdt blew.

Joey? Shoot, I thought I had exhausted all of my options when I was searching for one?! Who is and where can I contact? I'd pick up a kit now if he had one available. It's currently one of the few things stopping my progress on my build.

Edit - Oh Joey is Wits end? he was actually the very first person I emailed! He didn't have anything in stock or an ETA at the time, iirc.

Lol the RPM's at higher speeds were part of my reason for choosing the NV4500 over my H151 when the ol' 1hdt blew.

Joey? Shoot, I thought I had exhausted all of my options when I was searching for one?! Who is and where can I contact? I'd pick up a kit now if he had one available. It's currently one of the few things stopping my progress on my build.

Edit - Oh Joey is Wits end? he was actually the very first person I emailed! He didn't have anything in stock or an ETA at the time, iirc.
Yep Joey @NLXTACY. I just sent him an email yesterday about the NV-HF and he said they’re in production.

I have Joeys on my 75. I also have had one ear marked with Joel as well since I already have the shaft and only needed the adapter.

@mattimooseprime @Bama4door Yep, he’s the man I’d use. I’m STILL going back and forth between my A442 and the NV4500. I’ve got the adapter to go either way. At this point, even my wife is sick of it. ‘Just pick one!’ 😂😂. But yeah, I’d go with him before another.

@mattimooseprime @Bama4door Yep, he’s the man I’d use. I’m STILL going back and forth between my A442 and the NV4500. I’ve got the adapter to go either way. At this point, even my wife is sick of it. ‘Just pick one!’ 😂😂. But yeah, I’d go with him before another.
I think a manual would be pretty awesome and is what I plan on doing, but an auto is convenient.

On schedule for production. Early July

On schedule for production. Early July

Interesting. Is there a list I could get on to know when they're ready? I wannnt.

Since I was already a manual transmission that certainly helped my decision - as well as luckily sourcing a dodge with the 6bt and the nv.

If you can easily source the clutch pedal I say definitely go that route. The one automatic swapped rig I got to ride in felt a little lacking.

Jonesys over at NW is going to have some adapters for the NV4500 to the HF in the middle of august. I'm waiting for one myself, actually. I'm currently running his accessory bracket and I'm happy with how it looks and fit on my 12v so far. The only thing I would have preferred is a different thermostat housing and water outlet position, but that's just my personal preferrence on how I wanted it to look when it was done. His motor mounts wont work with my particular 80 due to it being a pre-1993, but if i interpret our conversations correctly, he had a few sets ready to be sold a few weeks ago.

He's been relatively helpful to me in gathering some information during my setup of the swap. Same with Mr Cim, I learned quite a bit trolling his thread. a lot of my questions have been my own silliness due to my rig being a RHD and already diesel.

There's a guy in AUS that also makes parts and he's who I got my mounts from (the pre-1993 issue stopped me here, you can read about it in my thread). He also is in process of making NV-HF adapters, and has his own design of accessory bracket. his bracket is designed to use toyota alternators and AC pump though, which doesn't really benefit us here in the states. It also employs a mechanical belt tensioner instead of the factory spring loaded dodge one. I'll try and find the video / pictures of it all from him and post them up. I'll also link to his site when its live for everyone here, too.

I can give anyone his FB info if they want - I just try not to post it everywhere so he doesn't get tons of messages to help respect his personal account lol.

As a newbie to the 80 community this is a real bummer... I have a 6BT in my shop and come from the world of engineering and fabrication, but ideally dont want to reinvent the wheel.

Are 99% of those swapping the 6BT using the NV4500 or is there still an adapter option to use the stock auto trans? I've watched a bunch of the older YT vids from Jonesys but it appears that rig is now on a 4500??? My motor is a P-pump 97' so power will be easy and honestly fuel economy will be the name of the game since I dont have many local off roading options and my rig will be more for shore runs, MTB camping weekends and cruising...

I've done a bunch of searching and most of the old vendors are MIA, web sites are gone and the info is really old, so discouraging!

The Toyota Auto trans isn’t up to the task of handling the torque of a 6BT for very long, especially if you turn up the fuel and air. NV4500 is proven to work well in our 80’s. Swapping an Allison 1000 behind a 6BT in a cruiser hasn’t been done yet but sure would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom