69 FST Spring Green partial restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to add this under the prefix for builds, but for some reason it won't let me select that....sigh. Anyways, I picked this fst up a few weeks ago....here's a link to it: SOLD - CA. 1969 FJ40 FST - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ca-1969-fj40-fst.1286209/page-3#post-14604237

It fires right up, which is nice. But, the driver side rear brakes were leaking and no brakes, so I figured that's a good place to start. I had intended to rebuild the cylinders, but 3 of the 8 are seized and one of them is missing internal parts....could be why it was leaking. New cylinders and shoes are on order. I'm still going thru it to see what all is needed to get her road worthy. On a side note, I've never driven a column shifter before....it's pretty fun even though I could only go up the driveway.
Here's some pics of her arriving and getting to know the rest of the family.

IMG_0403 (1).JPG

IMG_0405 (2).JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

I'm not sure if this thing has ever had a knuckle rebuild...I've had some dirty ones in the past, but this one is by far the worst. Here's some shots of the seized cylinders and knuckle all broken down.

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

I went through almost everything on my 69 in the past year or two, so I'm watching your thread. Good luck, that's a really cool 40.

A little update on the 69 cruiser:
So, the brakes became more of a challenge than I had anticipated. After doing the knuckle rebuild I started off by trying to rebuild the cylinders, but 3 of the 8 were seized so I went ahead and got 8 new ones from City Racer. I also got new shoes, and flexible brake lines from Cruiser Outfitters. I went ahead and got the drums machined as well. I had a buddy come over and help me bleed the system....this is where things got difficult. I didn't realize by not having the OEM brake adjusting tool how tedious that can be. After an hour of messing with adjusting the shoes with a flat head screw driver I went ahead and ordered the tool from CR...what a magical little thing that is! We got back at it a few days later and following the FSM steps proceeded to bleed the system. We bled and bled and bled, but could not get a good pedal. Then after reading multiple pages of people having the same issue almost all of them suggested getting a new MC....and that was the culprit. Put it on, bled each cylinder and now we have functioning brakes again! Jeebus, what a PITA drum brakes can be!
And now onto the next issue....I can get the truck to start, drive it a little, but it keeps cutting out. I put a new fuel pump on it, but it's still doing the same thing. I'm not sure what carb is on this thing and I did ask for help identifying it in another thread, but haven't gotten an answer yet. Here are some pics of the brakes and the carb.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

Looks like a newer vacuum secondary carb. Not sure if aisin or knock off. Does the “4A 6” stamped in front above sight window indicate April 1st, 1976 build date?

January 6, 1974

on edit: from the other carb thread you posted in it looks like this is actually a 1984 carb.

Last edited:
January 6, 1974
Yes, that's the conclusion I came to. Is does have Aisin stamped on it. The problem I'm having is I'm trying to compare that date to SOR's identifier page and they don't seem to coincide. It looks like it's missing some parts, but I don't know the first thing about carbs.

Hopefully one of the carb gurus chimes in, you might ping them directly. Maybe there’s something here (Mike’s Carbs) that will help, you might contact him directly too: Aisan Carburetor Technical - https://www.carburetor-parts.com/aisan-carburetor-technical

I‘m not as familiar with Aisin carbs as I am with Carter carbs, so not much help. I have two SD40’s on my shelf with rebuild kits that someday - maybe 😂 - I’ll get into service.

on edit: from the other carb thread you posted in it looks like this is actually a 1984 carb.

Last edited:
The 3/69-9/69 had a stud out the top of the carburetor for the air cleaner but wasn't until 1/75 that a stud was used again to secure the the air cleaner to the carburetor?

It looks like I have an 84, but has been cobbled together to make it work. I don't know much about carbs so now I'm deciding what I should do with it. Have it rebuilt or get a new one. Sniper kit would be a nice option, but is it really worth putting one on an F engine?

It looks like I have an 84, but has been cobbled together to make it work. I don't know much about carbs so now I'm deciding what I should do with it. Have it rebuilt or get a new one. Sniper kit would be a nice option, but is it really worth putting one on an F engine?
Yes! I have a sniper on an F and it’s great!

Now….. is it worth it? Idk. My carb was bad and leaking at throttle blade shaft. My fuel pump was also quickly on its way out. I weighed the cost of both of those against the sniper and went with the sniper. I do have a mild concern in the back of my mind “what if the pump or sniper fails in the middle of nowhere”. I just try to ignore that voice. And I have a spare pump. It’s at home on the shelf though.

Yes! I have a sniper on an F and it’s great!

Now….. is it worth it? Idk. My carb was bad and leaking at throttle blade shaft. My fuel pump was also quickly on its way out. I weighed the cost of both of those against the sniper and went with the sniper. I do have a mild concern in the back of my mind “what if the pump or sniper fails in the middle of nowhere”. I just try to ignore that voice. And I have a spare pump. It’s at home on the shelf though.
Yes, this is the dilemma. Do I get it rebuilt, get a sniper, or put an LS in it! I've done the LS on two other builds and it's a lot of work. But, lots of fun!

I get the appeal of an LS across a wide range of vehicles. They aren’t for me though. Something about seeing that straight 6 when I open the hood. I get a lot of comments with my Chevelle to the effect of “could’ve got more power, better mileage, more reliable, etc. with an LS”. But a big block is soooooo sexy under that hood.

That said, I’m also of the mindset that you own it, do what you want with it.

I get the appeal of an LS across a wide range of vehicles. They aren’t for me though. Something about seeing that straight 6 when I open the hood. I get a lot of comments with my Chevelle to the effect of “could’ve got more power, better mileage, more reliable, etc. with an LS”. But a big block is soooooo sexy under that hood.

That said, I’m also of the mindset that you own it, do what you want with it.
Can't argue that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom