69 FJ40 Rear Carrier Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Thank you in advance for any help with this!!

I have a 1969 FJ40. I believe it was built in July of 69. I'm doing a full restoration on it. I'm currently rebuilding the front and rear axles. When I pulled the rear axle carrier assy out one of the bearings just fell off. I tried a new carrier bearing and it slides on and off by hand. So I'm assuming the bearing spun and the carrier assy is now shot. I also noticed the ring gear is pitted on one side so it needs to be replaced. When I bought this vehicle it came with a lot of extra parts, extra axles, engine, trans, transfer case, etc. I believe most of the extra parts are out of a 75-78 FJ. The extra engine is a 2F, 4spd trans, but still front drum breaks.

What I'm wondering is if I can take the ring gear/carrier/pinion gear out of the 75-78 rear end and swap it directly into the 69 rear end housing or if it would be better to swap the entire rear end. It looks like some years use a crush sleeve (my 69 doesn't), pinion nut is different (my 69 uses the smaller castle nut), not sure what else is different. Is the housing the same from a 69-78? If so, as long as the gear ratio is the same can I just switch the guts from the 75-78 over to the 69 housing? The axle housing on the 75-78 is in rough shape so I'd rather keep my 69 housing if possible.

Again, thank you for any help on this!!

Check to see if Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with a rebuilt differential. Not sure if they work with your vintage Land Cruiser, but I bet they do.

Check to see if Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with a rebuilt differential. Not sure if they work with your vintage Land Cruiser, but I bet they do.
Thank you, I’ll check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom