69 FJ40 Rear Carrier Swap (1 Viewer)

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for any help with this!!

I have a 1969 FJ40. I believe it was built in July of 69. I'm doing a full restoration on it. I'm currently rebuilding the front and rear axles. When I pulled the rear axle carrier assy out one of the bearings just fell off. I tried a new carrier bearing and it slides on and off by hand. So I'm assuming the bearing spun and the carrier assy is now shot. I also noticed the ring gear is pitted on one side so it needs to be replaced. When I bought this vehicle it came with a lot of extra parts, extra axles, engine, trans, transfer case, etc. I believe most of the extra parts are out of a 75-78 FJ. The extra engine is a 2F, 4spd trans, but still front drum breaks.

What I'm wondering is if I can take the ring gear/carrier/pinion gear out of the 75-78 rear end and swap it directly into the 69 rear end housing or if it would be better to swap the entire rear end. It looks like some years use a crush sleeve (my 69 doesn't), pinion nut is different (my 69 uses the smaller castle nut), not sure what else is different. Is the housing the same from a 69-78? If so, as long as the gear ratio is the same can I just switch the guts from the 75-78 over to the 69 housing? The axle housing on the 75-78 is in rough shape so I'd rather keep my 69 housing if possible.

Again, thank you for any help on this!!

4Cruisers

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Check to see if Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with a rebuilt differential. Not sure if they work with your vintage Land Cruiser, but I bet they do.

Check to see if Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with a rebuilt differential. Not sure if they work with your vintage Land Cruiser, but I bet they do.
Thank you, I’ll check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom