69 FJ40 F motor Carb search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nobody’s criticizing the truck. It’s just that nobody believes it’s a 3500 mile survivor. We tend to become a little skeptical anytime somebody says a post 1964 40 series is numbers matching.

The horn button doesn't support original paint or sitting in a barn.

Noticed a few things you wouldn't think you would find on a low mile farm vehicle. Why would you install a tachometer for running around the farm. Same with cut rear wheel fender wells. Would expect the doors to be unlocked and keys in the ignition. Not a lock added to glovebox door. Color of the seat upholstery is too dark. And to match the horn button would be faded and cracked. Would have a hard time convincing anyone who been around FJ40s that this was just a paint touch-up and not a repaint. Muffler is not stock and everything is on the undercarriage is painted black. Looks like fresh spray in bed liner which support a fresh restore. Miles claim would need some real documentation to prove. Besides the odometer rolling over every 100K they are easy to take apart and set where ever you want.

Do we know how Toyota stamped parts? If all the parts used on 3/69 FJ40 were made in 3/69 the production line would be empty while they waited for parts to be made. If they stamped them as they used them every stamped part used should have a matching serial number and year/month stamp.
Yes, Toyota was cash-poor, so they have always been JIT production. If a door tag says 3/69 build date, then all the parts that have date code (carb, engine, FP, t-case, diffs, etc.) will be stamped 2/69 or 3/69.

I am not so sure on that. Reason is I have seen a 1/1969 , purchased new, that actually was in line with 3/69-9/69 parts wise. Mostly. So I was told that when Toyota was having production upgrades it could have been +/- a bit. In other words as new parts were arriving , they were going on. I do not believe , example, 3/1/69 was the exact date to fit exactly what the parts manuals say. I could be wrong but a few months around the drop dead date seems reasonable.

Nobody’s criticizing the truck. It’s just that nobody believes it’s a 3500 mile survivor. We tend to become a little skeptical anytime somebody says a post 1964 40 series is numbers matching.

I can also provide both body ID VIN plates, Frame stamp, and F motor engine code.

What is the item attached to the driver side rear quarter around the backup lamp ? There are some screws below that as well ? That is not stock.

Elongated swing plate to carry Jerry Cans. attaches to Spare tire swingout via top and bottom bolts. Connects with same latch. Apparently a Toyota Dealer option. I have the plate also. The protruding latch is the latch plate when the full plate is used, and not just the spare tire carrier.

The horn button doesn't support original paint or sitting in a barn.

Noticed a few things you wouldn't think you would find on a low mile farm vehicle. Why would you install a tachometer for running around the farm. Same with cut rear wheel fender wells. Would expect the doors to be unlocked and keys in the ignition. Not a lock added to glovebox door. Color of the seat upholstery is too dark. And to match the horn button would be faded and cracked. Would have a hard time convincing anyone who been around FJ40s that this was just a paint touch-up and not a repaint. Muffler is not stock and everything is on the undercarriage is painted black. Looks like fresh spray in bed liner which support a fresh restore. Miles claim would need some real documentation to prove. Besides the odometer rolling over every 100K they are easy to take apart and set where ever you want.
1) Tachometer was added by previous owner.
2) Fender wells modified and flares by previous owner.
3) Vehicle is now stored in a large garage instead of a barn.
4) Upholstery on all cushions were changed by previous owner. Claims it had dry cracks and worn.
5) Horn button is faded and cracked.
6) As I have stated many times, vehicle was poorly repainted, and underneath was also spray coated by previous owner (I was not amused, but I wanted the vehicle)
7) The muffler, shocks, clutch, all tune up parts, fluids, battery, alternator, voltage regulator, and a few trim pieces have all been replaced by me. There was no muffler on vehicle when I first saw it. It was transported to my location, and is slowly being restored CORRECTLY.... As opposed to the hack job done by the previous 20-something owner..... Who was about to tear it all apart, and I quote "Gonna make it a MUD HOGGER"
8) As for the mileage, I have had multiple car guys go over this vehicle fairly well. There is no indication of any wear and tear more than just time, and Florida heat that would indicate a higher mileage vehicle. Many inspected parts were and still are all original.

8) As for the mileage, I have had multiple car guys go over this vehicle fairly well. There is no indication of any wear and tear more than just time, and Florida heat that would indicate a higher mileage vehicle. Many inspected parts were and still are all original.

Not sure I would call myself a car guy but poor repaint, seats redone, cut wheel wells, all the non OEM hose clamps under the hood, replaced carburetor and no documentation on mileage I would say there is no way anyone could tell the original mileage. You said it didn't have a muffler when you bought hope you realize the one you used is not even close to the OEM muffler.

Not sure I would call myself a car guy but poor repaint, seats redone, cut wheel wells, all the non OEM hose clamps under the hood, replaced carburetor and no documentation on mileage I would say there is no way anyone could tell the original mileage. You said it didn't have a muffler when you bought hope you realize the one you used is not even close to the OEM muffler.
I appreciate the input.. and yes, very well aware of it all.

I can also provide both body ID VIN plates, Frame stamp, and F motor engine code.

nobody who knows Cruisers would call a 1964 numbers matching. There’s no way to confirm based on vIN tag

I think the original post just got everyone primed to see a true barn find survivor with a known 3700 miles. That will always draw guys to point out when it definitely isn’t one of those. Everyone just wants you to realize what you have and not be mirepresented as something it isn’t. It certainly is a nice FJ40 and Lots of guys here would love to start where you are at with it.

That’s because it’s 2/69 production date. I never said it was a 64’

that’s actually what I meant. Typo on my part. You cant tell what the original engine was on a 1969.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom