65 swb fj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the 45 run I decided I can not stand the F motor/3 speed combo or manual steering, so out with the old and in with the new. The tired F motor got scrapped out and is being replaced by a TBI fed 2F motor. I will begin de-smogging the 2F and installing an AFI TBI kit. The new motor will be backed by a 4 speed and split t-case out of an FJ60. I held out as long as I could about power steering and since I am the one driving it, it is getting power steering.
1965 swb 181 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 180 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 179 (Medium).jpg

Tony, you will love the new hp and quiet splitcase! I am on the fence with my shorty with the ps and spring over! I am about to pull the trigger on both!!! I just cant leave these stock......Oh before you put the 2f in I might as well give you a brain cramp and tell you I have a spare 3b,4spd,splitcase laying around!!!:doh:

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel injection. It's just what I was looking for, for the troopy.

I haven't checked this out yet but looking a SOR's site it looks like the top cover of the H42 is the same for the one piece transfer case and split transfer cases in the FJ40. If this is true you could probably source a FJ40 H42 top cover and replace the one on 60 series and keep the shifter in the FJ4X location. It's easy to find H42s from the one piece transfer FJ40 and easy to find the H42 from the 60 series.

So whitey45 is that spare 3B/4spd/split case combo a H41 or H42?

"I haven't checked this out yet but looking a SOR's site it looks like the top cover of the H42 is the same for the one piece transfer case and split transfer cases in the FJ40"

you are correct. You will find however that sometimes the reverse light switch in the wagon h42 cover has a (reversed wiring) configuration and your reverse lights will be on all the time unless in reverse.

Wagon top plates work great for those 350 conversion as well moving the shifter hole back to where it was supposed to be instead of bending the shifter round the heater.

Tony, you will love the new hp and quiet splitcase! I am on the fence with my shorty with the ps and spring over! I am about to pull the trigger on both!!! I just cant leave these stock......Oh before you put the 2f in I might as well give you a brain cramp and tell you I have a spare 3b,4spd,splitcase laying around!!!:doh:

My shorty could use some new accoutrements...

No real need for two so close together to have the EFI 2F and 4 speed...

Dom, you and Tony can arm wrestle for it!! I put a 3b 5spd in the shorty and topped it off with a turbo,I must say it is a hoot to drive and pulls really well, and of course the turbo spooling up is alot of fun. The spare 3b I have needs a head due to cracks ,and probably should be rebuilt so it is a project,but does have a matching 4spd, splitcase,bell housing,fork,to bearing,flywheel ,12v alt,inj pump,exhaust,etc...

nice

Do not tell me you scrapped the carb and external bits?

If ya do not want the copper fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carb let me know :D

The guy came and picked it up the day before yesterday. It went to a good home and not to scrap. What I meant to say was I was scrapping (not going to use) the F motor in favor of a 2F motor. Everyone can calm down, no vintage cruiser parts were harmed in this engine removal, I wasn't about to destroy any old cruiser parts.

Dom,

Feel free to take Whitey's offer, I have most of my parts for the 2F conversion and already have the trans and t-case. Although, it would be cool as hell!!!

you are correct. You will find however that sometimes the reverse light switch in the wagon h42 cover has a (reversed wiring) configuration and your reverse lights will be on all the time unless in reverse.

Wagon top plates work great for those 350 conversion as well moving the shifter hole back to where it was supposed to be instead of bending the shifter round the heater.

I guess for the reverse light switch the easiest thing to do is just switch it out.

That's the very good point. I don't run V8s in any cruiser other than the 100 series. But I have seen plenty that the transmission cover is cut under the heater and bent towards the back.

The guy came and picked it up the day before yesterday. It went to a good home and not to scrap. What I meant to say was I was scrapping (not going to use) the F motor in favor of a 2F motor. Everyone can calm down, no vintage cruiser parts were harmed in this engine removal, I wasn't about to destroy any old cruiser parts.

Dom,

Feel free to take Whitey's offer, I have most of my parts for the 2F conversion and already have the trans and t-case. Although, it would be cool as hell!!!

right on man :D

No offense intended :D

Keep the photos coming :D

I have not gotten very much time to work on the 45 lately, but today I removed all of the smog equipment, in preparation for the AFI fuel injection system. After a thorough cleaning I will be installing all new seals, gaskets, repainting the head/ block/ oil pan and I might even polish the valve cover :grinpimp:. The 4 speed trans and split t-case will be rebuilt prior to install as well as a "twin stick" from Georg, I need to figure out what year rebuild kits I need. I forgot what year FJ60 they were removed from :hmm:
Picture 963 (Medium).jpg

All of the 87 smog crap. The motor is much smaller without it. It will be listed in the classifieds
Picture 959 (Medium).jpg

Wow! it has been a long time since I have posted on this thread. My attention has been on another vehicle, but now I am trying to get this one back on the road in time for the 45 run. My son leaves for Marine Corps boot camp in November and he really wants to attend the 45 run again this year. The "new" motor is in, a Trollhole carb is being used for now (TBI will be going in in the future). I thought it was going to be fairly straight forward installing said parts, BUT NO! The intake and exhaust sit farther away from the block than the F motor, so the carb was into the m/c. That being said, I had to remove the booster firewall spacer and trim the firewall rib (hated to do it but it was a necessity) I wont get into what all is involved to get everything to work (as I am trying to expunge it from my memory) but it was a classic case of 1 step forward and 5 steps back. Early firewall and later model parts don't play well together i.e. brake booster, clutch M/C, brake lines, accelerator cable, pedal for cable set up. Tomorrow the trans and t-case will be going in and more issues I am sure!! Anyway a few progress shots and a few headache shots to boot.
1965 swb 185 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 187 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 188 (Medium).jpg

Looking good Tony. Give your son a big THANKS for joining the Marines. Good Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom