65 swb fj45 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Kelly, we are really proud of him!!

The 4 speed trans and split t-case are in the truck, the front drive shaft had to be lengthend 2.5 inches and the rear had to be shortened 1.5 inches, go figure. I liked the fact the old set up would allow me to have 2HI and 2 Low, so I installed a Twin Stick set up from Georg. The linkage for the twin stick made things a little tight, but once we did a little clearing for the linkage everything fell into place. Now to cut the new hole(s) for all the shift levers and fill the hole from the old shifter and get the seats re-installed. With the major stuff done, I think we are going to be in good shape to make the 45 run!!!
1965 swb 192 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 193 (Medium).jpg

did you have to modify the floor opening or remove the xmember behind the parking brake to install that tranny? i'm not there yet so asking questions prior to.

No modifying of anything, a minor trim of the flange around the floor opening to allow access for the Hi/Low linkage (in last photo). X-member is not an issue, as expected the rear drive line had to be shortened and the front had to be lengthend.

Last edited:
Looks good Tony! Keep Wrenching!
Look forward to seeing it at the 45 Run!

Thanks Ken, the boys are all set to wheel with you and the kids again this year :)

Today I finished all the wiring. The alternator and oil pressure sender are on the opposite side on the 2F, so I had to move the wire harness to the other side of the engine bay. Seems simple enough, but trying to undo 45 year old electrical tape is not that easy. After a phone call to Georg and hunting for a schematic, it all came together.
1965 swb 197 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 198 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 199 (Medium).jpg

The 4 speed top cover is a lot taller than the original 3 speed cover so the hole to be a bit big. Tomorrow will be the big day, a few little things to do in the morning and then it is time to fire it up!!!
1965 swb 200 (Medium).jpg
1965 swb 201 (Medium).jpg

looking good!

It lives!!!!! Fired up first try, now for a tune up and a little tweaking and it will be purring like a kitten. Next stop, the the muffler shop.

Dom,

I am looking at the disc parking brake set up.

you can build a disk parking brake pretty easy.. I built one on my old FJ40 with a Sky Manuf Rotor, a go cart caliper the stock parking brake cable and a few pieces of steel. Course I had a spare splitcase sitting there on the bench which made life easier.
I think Sky and All pro sell the rotors. I had to press out the studs in the driveshaft flange and use bolts, biggest change I had to make.

Drive shafts are done and will be installed Sunday, then on Monday it is off to the muffler shop for a new exhaust. Hopefully no more set backs and we will be in Deer Valley next weekend.
1965 swb 202 (Medium).jpg

The 4 speed top cover is a lot taller than the original 3 speed cover so the hole to be a bit big...

I ended up putting a one-inch body lift on....your solution looks a bit easier.

Drove the 45 for the first time in almost a year. The little dude and I drove it a mile and half to the muffler shop for a new exhaust. Needless to say it was a very loud drive!!! The return trip home was nice and peaceful, we ended up at the 7-11 for slurpees. :D
The 45 Run is on!!!!!!
Also, a pic of the new hubcaps :smokin:
45 exh (Medium).jpg
45 exh1 (Medium).jpg

new hub caps:D:D:D looks great Tony, when you go a while without an fj,the passion reignites all over again.See you soon:beer:

I cannot believe you took her for the maiden voyage to get exhaust with the top on.

The new motor and gearboxes are a huge improvement over the f and 3-speed and I was very happy with the new set up. The split case low range is much better, both the t-case and 4 speed shift nice and smooth. The trans and 4 speed were of unknown condition, that being said, both are coming back out. The t-case is getting rebuilt by Georg at Valley Hybrids and the 4 speed is getting swapped out with a low mileage unit, the 1 I installed had a bad input bearing. The next outing is going to be surf n turf. With each mod that I have done, this rig is getting easier to drive.
1965 swb 208.jpg
2011 FJ45 Run 016 (Medium).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom