'61 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a '61 fj40 basically a tub frame and axles no drivetrain needs a lot of work. Does anyone know the availability of drive train and body parts. Needs floors, doors sides and roof. are the body parts the same up to '64? Any help would be apprecieated. Owner wants 1K without a title.

With 2 64's I'm sure you have an idea of how hard it is to find parts. You need to decide if you want to spend the money to bring it back or save some money and simply piece together a running FJ-40.

With 2 64's I'm sure you have an idea of how hard it is to find parts. You need to decide if you want to spend the money to bring it back or save some money and simply piece together a running FJ-40.
Thanks, I sold all of my '64 stuff last year and took a beating. That being said '61 parts sound like unobtainium almost. I know it needs a hood for sure that seems like an impossible find.

A lot more of the early years discussed here:

Unless you want to restore as a 61 I wouldn't waste my time. 61 still have some carry over differences that were on the FJ25. The jump seats were one year only. Turn signals, transmission/transfer case/ PTO, centered diff on the rear axle and stamped bezel were changed in 63. Green is a 61 Titled as 62. The off white is a 62 with a 63 VIN plaque I bought for the floor to use in a FJ25. But it has the later ribs used until 79. Both these surprisedly rust free except the rear sills. I have another 61 that sound similar to that your thinking about buying. It currently has a rust free 62 FST tub seating on it. Bought that 61 with title except the PO never bothered to transfer that title in his name. If you were closer would have you come over. Looking clear out my RV area.
20220410_121615.jpg
20220410_121741.jpg

Unless you want to restore as a 61 I wouldn't waste my time. 61 still have some carry over differences that were on the FJ25. The jump seats were one year only. Turn signals, transmission/transfer case/ PTO, centered diff on the rear axle and stamped bezel were changed in 63. Green is a 61 Titled as 62. The off white is a 62 with a 63 VIN plaque I bought for the floor to use in a FJ25. But it has the later ribs used until 79. Both these surprisedly rust free except the rear sills. I have another 61 that sound similar to that your thinking about buying. It currently has a rust free 62 FST tub seating on it. Bought that 61 with title except the PO never bothered to transfer that title in his name. If you were closer would have you come over. Looking clear out my RV area.View attachment 3530263View attachment 3530264
@Living in the Past

They look great. are they all Arizona FJ40's ?

Thanks, I sold all of my '64 stuff last year and took a beating. That being said '61 parts sound like unobtainium almost. I know it needs a hood for sure that seems like an impossible find.
I have had a ‘59 hood for sale in the classifieds for a while.🤷🏻‍♂️

@wngrog just picked up the leftover early powertrain from the megacruiser build.

You should also try reaching out to @HelloKitty65. He’s in your area and has a similar affliction, so he can probably help with finding things.

On the FJ25 and early FJ40s the hard top models did not have the hooks or pads for the windshield. These were just like the FJ45LV models. Not sure when that ended. My 9/64 FJ45LP-B has the pads. The hard top also had corner windows which is earlier than the FJ40. Still have the hood. And bib of my first FJ40. Other differences on the early FJ40 is shorter steps and high B pillar.

@Living in the Past

They look great. are they all Arizona FJ40's ?

The green one came from Southwest Colorado. It was in Southern Arizona when first heard about. Owner kept it at a second home in Rocky Point Mexico. Sold the the home Mexico and moved to a shop in Ajo AZ. Later moved to a shop in the Phoenix area. That shop has purchased a cylinder from SOR. Had the engine running but could figure out the brake. FJ25 had they own brake system was sure if it carried over to the 61. CDan kindly sent my a 61 microfiche and confirmed it used the same as the 62. Finally pulled the drums and confirmed they are the same as later drum brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom