600+ EGTs - boost tap help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Just fitted up boost and egt gauges to my 1996 land cruiser and my egts are skyhigh (600+ post turbo) as the last owner turned up the fuel pump.

I have purchased a boost tap and am not sure where to fit it orrr if this is the right way to go to bring my EGTs down.

Intercooler is a few months away yet so just will be taking it slow till then

Put your EGT probe pre-turbo. It takes a little longer but is far more accurate.

Have you got a boost gauge?

It would help if you let us know what engine you have.
I'm assuming diesel, but it's important to know because the advice will be different if it's petrol.

And post a pic of your boost tap, or tell us what it is.
Generally a boost tap will just need to be on the boost line that goes from the turbo housing to the waste gate.

What turbo do you have?

Generally, more boost is your friend. Boost helps to lower EGT.
Reducing the boost increases EGTs.
More boost equals more air, more complete combustion. Better use of the fuel your dumping into the engine. More power per cc of fuel. More power means you need less throttle.

It would help if you let us know what engine you have.
I'm assuming diesel, but it's important to know because the advice will be different if it's petrol.

And post a pic of your boost tap, or tell us what it is.
Generally a boost tap will just need to be on the boost line that goes from the turbo housing to the waste gate.

What turbo do you have?

Generally, more boost is your friend. Boost helps to lower EGT.
Reducing the boost increases EGTs.
More boost equals more air, more complete combustion. Better use of the fuel your dumping into the engine. More power per cc of fuel. More power means you need less throttle.
Sorry its a 1-hdt

Turbo is stock and currently at 13psi which is there stock pressure.

Boost tap is one of the turbosmart ones as the photo shows

Just wanting to know whats the highest psi i can go and if i run extra vacum lines if this would effect the time it take for the reading to get to the wastegate (sorry dumb question)

Ive attached a pic of my vehicle also

Screenshot_20230724_230054_Trade Me.jpg

Screenshot_20230724_230233_Photos.jpg

A longer line so you can mount the boost tee won't make any difference.

At 13psi, stock turbo is pretty close to its limit. You could push it to 15psi IF you know its got no play in the shaft bearings.

Beyond 15psi, it's gonna heat the air too much and you won't gain much.

I agree with above, put your egt probe in the manifold before the turbo.

There pics of where to put it in the turbo thread linked in my signature

I’m naïve about Toyota EGTs. Educate me. On my F-350 with 7.3L Powerstroke, I had an EGT gauge located pre-turbo and ran a tuner. 600 degree EGT was considered optimal. The truck could go up to about 1250 degree EGT and be ok, but the turbo was likely to explode at 1300 degrees. What’s optimal, and what’s the range for Toyota diesels?

Oh then that’s decently high , my 4BT 80 hits 1200 at wot but cruised at 8-900
Cruises at 950ish and boosting can be up to 1300
Very aware that i will be damaging components and i don't want to drive it hard until i have something sorted and the temp down however can't quite afford intercooler at the moment.

Problem with that as we live at the top of quite a steep hill so unless I'm crawling up the hill my EGTs climb very quickly

1300F won't hurt a 1HD-T. I ran mine to 900C on rare occasion (Dyno sessions) and no evidence of any distress. 750C = 1380F is perfectly safe.

EDIT: these figures are Pre-Turbo. Post Turbo EGT is a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom