60 series rear bumper upgrade - is this going to be a problem? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

Will this bent frame be an issue? Any ideas how to fix?

Initially I was going to add a receiver hitch for bike racks and recovery point, but I did not like how much it affected the rear clearance. Now I think I might replace the pristine rear bumper with a high clearance bumper with integrated receiver. Problem is I do not think I can when my frame is bent. Looks a PO had it towed or something and the tech used the rear tow hook as a tie down.

Thanks,
Bob

20211229_180742.jpg

20211229_181434.jpg

Does the bend at the frame hook effect the fit and shape of the oem chrome bumper? It doesn't look misshaped from the photo, could be the bumper mount points haven't changed.

I say get the bumper you want and see how it lines up...tweak the frame end as needed to fit. That bend would definitely hinder a bolt under
draw-tite type hitch

If you took the bumper off could you in theory connect a hi lift to the hook and put the ebrake on the truck and connect the other end to something heavier than the 60 and try and bend it out?

i doubt that was bent cinching down a tie down. i'd bet backing into something that wasn't moving. re: your query of bolting on bumper, there's a bracket on the outboard side of the frame that your stock bumper is fastened to. that bend is not affecting that bracket or the holes that bracket is fastened at to the frame. i wouldn't lose sleep over it

I put on a 4Plus bumper last year. It slid into the frame rails. I had to drill out the rivets holding the outer brackets. It bolts through the rivet holes. I think with a little "heat and hammer" you could get something like to to fit.

FJ60 4Plus bumper.jpg

If you took the bumper off could you in theory connect a hi lift to the hook and put the ebrake on the truck and connect the other end to something heavier than the 60 and try and bend it out?

In theory..... use a high lift put the e-brake on? WTF

In theory..... use a high lift put the e-brake on? WTF
e brake, person in the car holding the brakes, chock the wheels, whatever works. That hook was bent in the direction of the front of the truck, a hi lift in line with that hook and an immovable object could potentially coax the bend down a little bit. The PO obviously reversed into something bending that section of frame

you ever fix a bent frame?
or are you just throwing out hypotheticals
Looks like hes trying to slide an aftermarket rear bumper in the c channel, and offered a Free solution to try to free up some room for it to slide in, to go along with the heat and hammer also suggested. Whats your addition?

how deep does it recess in to the frame...aftermarket bumper that is? i know how i'd look after that, but i'm just a carpenter/redneck engiminerd.

Gee…or maybe you could just take it to a qualified frame shop and get it done right!
Took it to my favorite body shop. Rules and regulations prevent them from "straightening" frames... I probably won't know what I need to do until I have a new bumper ready to install. I think I am going to get the 4plus classic like @bouytech did.

Thanks for all the replies.

Body shops are not frame shops. A real frame shop should have a solution, but you might be able to do something on your own.

Took it to my favorite body shop. Rules and regulations prevent them from "straightening" frames... I probably won't know what I need to do until I have a new bumper ready to install. I think I am going to get the 4plus classic like @bouytech did.

Thanks for all the replies.
not knowing where your mabel drive is, i can't point you towards anyone so i'll say this. do you know any old school hotrod guys, old school custom/body dudes? i'd wager they'd look at that n say, get the bumper off n give me an hour. by old school, i mean the crusty old fawk that isn't intimidated by pu$$y @$$ rules n regs n knows his craft. just my two cents

At worst, just cut it out and weld in a new straight piece. Way less work than what people do to fix rust holes, except you don't have rust.

No! The e-brake controls only the rear axle. If you could get a hi-lift to that hook without damaging your tailgate/lift gate then lifting it will disable any benefit the parking brake would provide. Plus, hi-lifts are designed for certain hitch points on replacement bumpers/sliders. If you’re referring to a floor jack there’s not enough weight on the truck to bend the frame back.

Heating and manipulating with a hammer or sectioning it with new steel are the two best solutions as mentioned already. I have worked on many 60/80 frames and this is truly not a difficult fix if you have the tools.

Hope this helps.

No! The e-brake controls only the rear axle. If you could get a hi-lift to that hook without damaging your tailgate/lift gate then lifting it will disable any benefit the parking brake would provide. Plus, hi-lifts are designed for certain hitch points on replacement bumpers/sliders. If you’re referring to a floor jack there’s not enough weight on the truck to bend the frame back.

Heating and manipulating with a hammer or sectioning it with new steel are the two best solutions as mentioned already. I have worked on many 60/80 frames and this is truly not a difficult fix if you have the tools.

Hope this helps.
Im talking about using the hi lift as a come along to pull the hook parallel to the ground to bend the frame section there down a few mm to be able to slide the bumper in that c channel of the frame. You arent lifting the truck up. The e brake, someone holding the brakes in the cab, or chocking the wheels is to try to keep the truck from sliding across the ground when using the jack as a comealong to pull the vehicle towards a rigid object laterally. When I installed my front bumper i had to use a 4lb hammer and a hi lift in a similar way to open up the front of my frame a few mm or so to slide my bumper in between the frame rails. Its pretty common, and Im definitely not the first person to do this. I just linked 4 examples. Im not talking about completely straightening a frame, OP mentioned he is just trying to slide the frame support rails of an after market bumper through there. The impact to the hook bent the lower part of the frame up less than half an inch.

Not really sure why my touch grass comment got deleted, based on the 10 or so un answered comments, that crazy dude definitely does in fact need to go out side and touch grass. aka get a breath of fresh air away from the computer screen. Im confused if i need to post it 10 times or not, or if this is indeed a tech forum

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom