60 series rear bumper upgrade - is this going to be a problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im talking about using the hi lift as a come along to pull the hook parallel to the ground to bend the frame section there down a few mm to be able to slide the bumper in that c channel of the frame. You arent lifting the truck up. The e brake, someone holding the brakes in the cab, or chocking the wheels is to try to keep the truck from sliding across the ground when using the jack as a comealong to pull the vehicle towards a rigid object laterally. When I installed my front bumper i had to use a 4lb hammer and a hi lift in a similar way to open up the front of my frame a few mm or so to slide my bumper in between the frame rails. Its pretty common, and Im definitely not the first person to do this. I just linked 4 examples. Im not talking about completely straightening a frame, OP mentioned he is just trying to slide the frame support rails of an after market bumper through there. The impact to the hook bent the lower part of the frame up less than half an inch.

Not really sure why my touch grass comment got deleted, based on the 10 or so un answered comments, dude definitely does in fact need to go out side and touch grass. aka get a breath of fresh air away from the computer screen. Im confused if i need to post it 10 times or not, or if this is indeed a tech forum
This makes sense. appreciate your detail here. Many ways to hit the end result.

This makes sense. appreciate your detail here. Many ways to hit the end result.
Sure thing man! The rest of the thread is pretty confusing to me, but it’s just a free suggestion to try before taking it to a frame shop or busting out the torch :)

Edit: just saw that the thread was all cleaned up, thanks!

Last edited:
Im talking about using the hi lift as a come along to pull the hook parallel to the ground to bend the frame section there down a few mm to be able to slide the bumper in that c channel of the frame. You arent lifting the truck up. The e brake, someone holding the brakes in the cab, or chocking the wheels is to try to keep the truck from sliding across the ground when using the jack as a comealong to pull the vehicle towards a rigid object laterally. When I installed my front bumper i had to use a 4lb hammer and a hi lift in a similar way to open up the front of my frame a few mm or so to slide my bumper in between the frame rails. Its pretty common, and Im definitely not the first person to do this. I just linked 4 examples. Im not talking about completely straightening a frame, OP mentioned he is just trying to slide the frame support rails of an after market bumper through there. The impact to the hook bent the lower part of the frame up less than half an inch.

Not really sure why my touch grass comment got deleted, based on the 10 or so un answered comments, that crazy dude definitely does in fact need to go out side and touch grass. aka get a breath of fresh air away from the computer screen. Im confused if i need to post it 10 times or not, or if this is indeed a tech forum
@dbbowen , i'd like to point out that in your scenario, using hi-lift for bumper install, you're spreading 2 sides apart. totally legit. in trying to roll that kink out of the frame, you are stretching 1 part in your idea. in theory it should roll out, IF you anchored the front end in line with the frame, but you'd tear the hook out of the frame long before it started to straighten. the hi-lift would laugh any brake, wheel chock action but balk at pulling that kink out. tip your hat to the dude that invented hydraulic power.
this is experience speaking, decades ago i helped my bil at his body shop, where @SteveH , straightening frames was as common place as pounding out dented rear quarters :meh:

@dbbowen , i'd like to point out that in your scenario, using hi-lift for bumper install, you're spreading 2 sides apart. totally legit. in trying to roll that kink out of the frame, you are stretching 1 part in your idea. in theory it should roll out, IF you anchored the front end in line with the frame, but you'd tear the hook out of the frame long before it started to straighten. the hi-lift would laugh any brake, wheel chock action but balk at pulling that kink out. tip your hat to the dude that invented hydraulic power.
this is experience speaking, decades ago i helped my bil at his body shop, where @SteveH , straightening frames was as common place as pounding out dented rear quarters :meh:
I gotcha was just offering a different suggestion that is quick and free to try. You are totally right, hydraulic would be the way to go for sure, as well as taking it to a professional. If it was me, i would try a few things before searching out a shop. A friend of mine got in a wreck recently where a drunk driver smashed his family heirloom toyota pickup. He couldnt find anyone to straighten the frame anywhere locally but his was bent bad. On this frame, i dont think the support for most of the aftermarket rear bumpers goes much further than where that bend is. Thanks for the info!

I gotcha was just offering a different suggestion that is quick and free to try. You are totally right, hydraulic would be the way to go for sure, as well as taking it to a professional. If it was me, i would try a few things before searching out a shop. A friend of mine got in a wreck recently where a drunk driver smashed his family heirloom toyota pickup. He couldnt find anyone to straighten the frame anywhere locally but his was bent bad. On this frame, i dont think the support for most of the aftermarket rear bumpers goes much further than where that bend is. Thanks for the info!
holy $h!t, what is it with your body shops down there? they afraid of frames? any body shop up here worth their weight has a frame rack.

holy $h!t, what is it with your body shops down there? they afraid of frames? any body shop up here worth their weight has a frame rack.
Man he tried like 3 collision places and one body shop that worked on classic cars and no dice. It was really sad because it was his dads truck that passed away when he was a kid.

Man he tried like 3 collision places and one body shop that worked on classic cars and no dice. It was really sad because it was his dads truck that passed away when he was a kid.
that blows. the bil i helped also had a frame rack atop an f550. yup, portable. subbed out the truck n operator. it was damn near a licence to print money. it was pretty cool to work with n watch a bent frame or unibody car straighten out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom