60 Series Axle swap with the Trail Tailor Coil Conversion (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made this into a spreadsheet for @Dubs2017 and @Snicklephritz87 but if anyone wants it, shoot me a pm and ill email it to you. you just enter the 5 numbers in blue and it spits out the rest for you. I am unsure why something doesnt already exist on the internet

Screenshot 2024-03-28 233954.png

Hah thanks all. Ive got just the slightest remaining vibration im going to try and adjust out tonight but the overwhelming majority of it is gone. The tom woods drive shaft came in and i put it in. Here are the two shafts. Look pretty comprable

fVhshQVh.jpg

Also I threw some OME 2850 front coils on. These are 2 inch lift with weight and 2.5 inch lift with no weight "heavy" springs. These ended up giving me another half inch of lift up front or so over the .25 inch lift coils with the 1 inch spacer. So just under 2 inches of lift overall if it was on an 80 series plus the extra height the TT kit gives me. Ive got a bumper/winch, dual batteries and what not, but the 5.3 weighs significantly less than the 80 series motor so this was literally a crap shoot to figure out what height and weight i needed. Just got lucky on this one. I can pull in and out of my garage with about 1/8 or so inch clearance with this setup.

I think i can live with this front rake. It looks pretty much perfect. The rears are Medium springs so they should settle out more than the fronts id think.

9DiwHBEh.jpg

Also fyi, in the future when you are measuring your lift height. you cant use the fender line for a measurment point. @Snicklephritz87 discovered that the front fender is like an inch taller than the rear.
I sincerely think that's the perfect rake. A little makes a big difference and that's ideal.

Dude, mad props for getting that done in the time you did. With a wife and kid, that’s tough. Hopefully she’s not too mad at you🤣. Your Land Cruiser looks great! Good job man!
Thanks man! I gave my wife like 4 months advance notice that for 4 days I wouldnt be much help with our daughter haha. I really probably should get a beater driver at some point for projects like this

Ok so I forgot to update this thread over the weekend. I think my driveshaft is pretty happy at 0.5* down from parallel. I really wanted it to be at 1* down so it would stop all the on throttle vibration but it vibrates on coast if i do that. At 0.5* its still got a little bit of a vibration but its kind of a happy compromise between the two.

I had some parking brake issues that I got resolved over the weekend, and i cracked the ujoint cap on my front driveshaft ujoint trying to swap it over but right now the truck is driving pretty damn well.

The springs have had some time to get in their spots on the buckets and settle and I even washed the truck. I got to say the stance now is absolutely perfect.

The one thing I am trying to figure out is im getting some rubbing on my rear coils on my frame rail. This might be a stupid question to ask, but would taking a flap disc and putting a small flat spot on one of the springs be a dumb idea?

With the pnw rain and all the grinding dust, i forgot how good this thing looks when its all washed and clean!

8EDT4UEh.jpg

8iTnrbwh.jpg

Unrelated but came across your rig on Reddit. What sliding windows are those? Are you happy with them? Two dogs means I need some.

Ok so I forgot to update this thread over the weekend. I think my driveshaft is pretty happy at 0.5* down from parallel. I really wanted it to be at 1* down so it would stop all the on throttle vibration but it vibrates on coast if i do that. At 0.5* its still got a little bit of a vibration but its kind of a happy compromise between the two.

I had some parking brake issues that I got resolved over the weekend, and i cracked the ujoint cap on my front driveshaft ujoint trying to swap it over but right now the truck is driving pretty damn well.

The springs have had some time to get in their spots on the buckets and settle and I even washed the truck. I got to say the stance now is absolutely perfect.

The one thing I am trying to figure out is im getting some rubbing on my rear coils on my frame rail. This might be a stupid question to ask, but would taking a flap disc and putting a small flat spot on one of the springs be a dumb idea?

With the pnw rain and all the grinding dust, i forgot how good this thing looks when its all washed and clean!

8EDT4UEh.jpg

8iTnrbwh.jpg
Wow, your rig is inspiring. Great work! Currently swapping in an LT1 into our 62. Quick question, what brand/type and percentage is your window tint? It looks really good, sometimes tint on these rigs doesn’t look right for whatever reason, yours is an exception. Good lookin rig brotha!

Unrelated but came across your rig on Reddit. What sliding windows are those? Are you happy with them? Two dogs means I need some.

dude i did a group by and ordered them from australia a few months back. They are OEM take outs from HJ61s. They were about $200 USD a set but the shipping was really high on them so i bought 5 at the same time and we all split the $550 shipping. I got them from Horizon Early Land Cruisers, I messaged him on instagram. They are VERY used when you get them. I had to get the frames sandblasted and powder coated and i replaced all the rubbers and tinted the windows. If you go that route, i have a vendor for all of the rubbers and stuff. I actually think i got the worst set out of the bunch after talking to the other group buy members and mine turned out awesome.

Wow, your rig is inspiring. Great work! Currently swapping in an LT1 into our 62. Quick question, what brand/type and percentage is your window tint? It looks really good, sometimes tint on these rigs doesn’t look right for whatever reason, yours is an exception. Good lookin rig brotha!
Thanks man! that is going to be an awesome swap. Ive just got a stock LM7 and it is such a huge upgrade!

The window tint is Llumar IRX Ceramic 15% It normally looks a tiny bit darker than the pic i posted yesterday, i believe the driver side windows are down in that pic. I think dark tint looks really good on white vehicles, btu they have 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50% available as well. It really makes a difference on the temps inside of the truck. I was able to buy a good bit from a supplier who was selling out of the back of his shop and did it myself. If i was to do it again id just pay to have it installed. Ive got some bubbles and theres a few pieces of dog hair in my tint lol

dude i did a group by and ordered them from australia a few months back. They are OEM take outs from HJ61s. They were about $200 USD a set but the shipping was really high on them so i bought 5 at the same time and we all split the $550 shipping. I got them from Horizon Early Land Cruisers, I messaged him on instagram. They are VERY used when you get them. I had to get the frames sandblasted and powder coated and i replaced all the rubbers and tinted the windows. If you go that route, i have a vendor for all of the rubbers and stuff. I actually think i got the worst set out of the bunch after talking to the other group buy members and mine turned out awesome.

Thanks man! that is going to be an awesome swap. Ive just got a stock LM7 and it is such a huge upgrade!

The window tint is Llumar IRX Ceramic 15% It normally looks a tiny bit darker than the pic i posted yesterday, i believe the driver side windows are down in that pic. I think dark tint looks really good on white vehicles, btu they have 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50% available as well. It really makes a difference on the temps inside of the truck. I was able to buy a good bit from a supplier who was selling out of the back of his shop and did it myself. If i was to do it again id just pay to have it installed. Ive got some bubbles and theres a few pieces of dog hair in my tint lol
Thanks!

My 62 is the same color and I've recently decided to keep it white rather than re-spray it. Now I'm reconsidering my wheel choice, what are your wheel/tire specs?

I don't think I would grind my coil spring.

Haha as soon as i hit post i was like umm thats stupid

My 62 is the same color and I've recently decided to keep it white rather than re-spray it. Now I'm reconsidering my wheel choice, what are your wheel/tire specs?

White is the best color for toyotas imo! These wheels are 17x8.5 with -10 offset. They are pretty much dead on with where the stock Fzj80 wheels sit on the inside of the wheel well, about 3.7mm more inset but clear everything like calipers and shock and everything. They do stick out 16mm more outward because theyre a little wider. Theyre kinda the closest i could find to the stock wheel in a 5 spoke 17.

The tires are 285/75 R17. So 33.8x11.2 R17. I got 17 inch wheels specifically to run this size. After mounted and everything it ends up being a true 33 inch tire, a little taller even. Every 33 or 285/70 ive seen measures to 32 inches tall. I would have liked to go 35, but the truck wouldnt fit in my garage with 35s hah

If you wanted to minimize the poke out of the fenders you could try and find something with a zero or slightly positive offset and it will pull the wheels back in. With this wheel and tire combo i have exactly 1.5 inches of stick out on each side measuring from the fender to the shoulder of the tire

Have you mocked up the flares to see what the stick out would look like?
If i sell them, i might be able to put the proceeds towards the wheels i actually wanted haha. I got the ones on the truck currently because of cost

Not yet. Im kind of on the fence on even using them. I kind of like how it looks right now with the stick out to be honest. I might list them up for sale with the mudflaps for them
I've run 18 inch wide rims before always looked cool to me until you hit a small water spot then the whole side of the truck is covered.

If i sell them, i might be able to put the proceeds towards the wheels i actually wanted haha. I got the ones on the truck currently because of cost

Haha, love Work Meisters, those and TE-37s are my all-time favorite wheels. I'm an ex-JDM boy so I have a soft spot for JDM wheels on Cruisers. I want tall skinny tires, probably going with 35x10.5 or 11.5. I go back and forth between wanting FJ Cruiser Steelies or something more "modern" like your SCS wheels.

It's funny you are considering selling your flares, I've been on the fence about getting some myself. I've seen a few white 62's on Instagram with white fender flares and I think they look pretty good.

I've run 18 inch wide rims before always looked cool to me until you hit a small water spot then the whole side of the truck is covered.

Haha i have noticed there is far more debris on the side of my truck now

Haha, love Work Meisters, those and TE-37s are my all-time favorite wheels. I'm an ex-JDM boy so I have a soft spot for JDM wheels on Cruisers. I want tall skinny tires, probably going with 35x10.5 or 11.5. I go back and forth between wanting FJ Cruiser Steelies or something more "modern" like your SCS wheels.

It's funny you are considering selling your flares, I've been on the fence about getting some myself. I've seen a few white 62's on Instagram with white fender flares and I think they look pretty good.

Dude i think they look awesome to be honest. I just have been really liking how the truck looks now without them and figured i could use the money to put elsewhere. I have a pretty strict only 5 spoke wheel policy on all of my vehicles haha the TEs are like one of the very few wheels that are excluded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom