Klip's FJ62 revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is up fellow cruiser heads. First of all thanks for all the great information on this forum, it has really helped out and givin me a lot of great ideas. Well 5 years ago I sold my 1984 Toyota pick up and bought a 1989 FJ62 with 270,000 miles on it. I have pretty much been using it as a daily driver and now it has 313,000 miles, and then, it died. Up until it died it has been extremely reliable, gutless and gas guzzlin, but reliable. I have slowly been troubleshooting the not start problem and found: hole in air intake tube, a lot of oil in air intake tube, and no spark. Fuel pump comes on and it smells like fuel at the tail pipe when cranking over. I do have 12 volts to the ignitor. It has a red MSD box which is wired in parallel with the ignitor, but don't know what the box is or what it does. So I'm looking for a used coil/ignitor assembly, if anyone has one or knows someone that has one for a reasonable price, PLEASE let me know, thanks in advance.
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg

Try the vendors section, also, cruiseryard.com has used Land Cruiser parts.

I followed the wires back from the MSD box to underneath the battery tray and found a larger MSD box. It is an ignition control module, multiple spark ignition. I took all of it out, I don't want to run it with my new/used ignitor and coil that I should be receiving shortly. I don't think it was the problem but, I don't want it to be a problem.
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

Yeah I have dealt with Jason and he is awesome. Glad you got the truck running again, now sounds like you need a good tune-up and maybe valve adjustment.

Yeah I have dealt with Jason and he is awesome. Glad you got the truck running again, now sounds like you need a good tune-up and maybe valve adjustment.

Yeah a good tune up or a freshly rebuilt TBI 350, which I have and am getting ready to put in. I think this engine has just about had enough, 313k and a lot of oil coming up out of the intake, I think it's a good time for a V8 swap.
IMG_0075.jpg

Got my engine and transmission pulled with harness and all. Ordered some parts from ruff stuff to do the SOA before the engine swap. I will be running an NP 205 case and a Tacoma rear axle, Marlin high steer, and I already have 37'' MTR's off my old pickup. It will be kind of slow going like most builds are, pics of donor truck, 350 TBI, 700r4.

smaller.jpg

s.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

that is alot of oil, but if you do a valve adjust and then check compression, you'll know for sure.....alot of the roughness could be directly related to the air intake tube, try some gorilla tape...if you go ahead with the swap, let me know before you toss the 3FEs head and fuel injection stuff!

Got the 350 into the garage and sorted through all the wires i'll be keeping and the ones I won't. I will be using the factory harness, a howell harness would be nice, but I can make what I have work. I found an electrical diagram and troubleshooting book for that truck on e bay for $10.00, so that should help.

Finally got some time to do some work. Got the front axle pulled out, new leaf spring bushings in, old perches cut and ground off... The perch kit I got from ruff stuff took some extra grinding and cutting to get it to fit where I like it, it's all nice beefy parts but being a kit made specifically for this axle it didn't fit very well. I also bought Marlin high steer, when I pulled the steering arms off the upper trunion bearings were hammered and just came apart. The left side wheel seal was also leaking so I bought a seal and bearing kit. Pulled the axle apart, washed all the parts, turned out pretty good but I still need to put it all back together. I'll try to keep up on posts and pics as much as I can.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

Looks great! Can't wait to see the taco axle in the rear.

Thanks Nolan, should be under there in a couple of weeks. I had to put my tires on to see what it looked like, pretty happy with the way it looks. The tires are pretty close and will probably rub like a mo, but we'll see... Got the brake lines back on, new brake hoses over the steering arms, the old ones were pretty cracked out. Steering stabilizer is on, all painted up, a little too glossy for my liking but it will be all dirtied up soon enough I hope. O yeah, so when I mounted my tires the wheels hit the brake caliper, just barely, needs an 1/8'' shim, don't know what I'm gonna do there yet. Also need to find an extended brake hose from the frame to the fitting on the axle, and some sway bar extensions.

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom