60/62 Safety (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am almost 15 and would really like to get a Land Cruiser for my first car. My dad has a FJ40 and I realize those are not the safest thing in the world but I think a 60 or 62 would be such a great first car. I am not to concerned about mechanical things as if I bought one today I would have a year to fix it up. But my parents rule is that it has to have airbags. Do you think a 60 or 62 would perform well in a crash or would the out come not be good?

Thank you very much

If it's lifted it will be higher than most cars. That being the case...God help them.

It depends what you hit, if you crash into a small car it will punch it out of the way using the crumple zone of the small car, and you are likely to be fine, however if you crash into something solid, say a tree or ditch you will be hurt for sure.
And of course 4wds tend to roll over easier, and rollovers are a sure way of getting hurt.
Also given the brakes, steering, suspension you are far more likely to have an accident in the first place!
Perhaps consider a 80 series? better brakes, suspension and airbags on some versions.

prob the 80 is the better choice for you.. for the above mentioned reasons, brakes, suspension, air bags.

plus, budget. It might be easier to have a constant list of semi-costly projects with the 60 or 62. That
can happen with the 80s also, but in general, as they are "newer" vehicles, most are pretty roadworthy
and stable and reliable.

problem with the 60/2 or really any older vehicle is they don't have crumple zones......so your body takes more of a blow. my wife got t boned in her 62 10 years ago, kid hit her at 35mph front driverside, the 62 may have saved her from much more injury by the fact that its big and heavy......but her body(shoulder) took a big blow from the seat belt, really tore it up. the 62 was totaled but kept on moving. We replaced the 62 with another, but I also got her a 1999 LX470......its just a much much safer rig. I seldom drive any of my old rigs on the freeway or any distance.........just to many idiots anymore, we use the 100's for our main drivers.

that said, I think 62's are perfect teenager rigs, they are slow as s***, get poor mpg and are relatively safe compares to many other small cars that teen get stuck in. One of my clients has 3 kids and all 3 drove the same 62 to high school(at different ages)........if there is a car than can survive 3 teens better than a 62....show it to me ;) (she also wont part with it for that reason)

I tend to agree, 93-97 80 series.......and its still a super cool rig

My FJ62 is my first "car", learned to drive in it and have been for 4 years now, have been hit by others 3 times, no speeding tickets, and haven't caused any accidents yet.

I'm keeping it forever.

image.jpg
image.jpg
One of the safest on the road IMO
image.jpg

^^^^Looks like the owner is parting it out......

EDIT: to the OP, unless you are ready to forfeit weekends to work on this rigs and throw some $$ into it, I would listen to your folks.....

Now, I'm not saying don't get one.... I'm saying get one as a second vehicle, a project vehicle if you will..... I think you will enjoy it a lot more .

As far as safety goes.... whoever says these things are safer than an airbags equipped vehicle is probably too attached to their 60. You can't compare vehicle safety from the 1980's to today's standards.... all you need to do is be at peace, accept these are old rigs, and enjoy the ride....

Last edited:
guessing that rocket pod mounted inside the cab did not work out as well as hoped for

anyone else notice the doors on that 62, they look odd, there is a skirt on the bottom of them or something

My buddy (driving the '87 FJ60) I sold him hit a Chevy Monte Cruddo (Carlo) at 65 - head on. The Monte driver opened the door and walked away (big crush zone, airbags). The 60 was demolished, and my buddy spent a year in rehab. He's fine now - but the design and crash engineering of the Monte is vastly superior. FJ60s were designed in the 1970s,to be sold starting in 1981, and it shows. All the crash energy was transferred to my buddy - whereas the Monte absorbed it. I, too, would recommend an 80 series to humor your parents, and then later get the FJ60/2 of your dreams.

Go on Youtube and look up FJ60/62 crash test videos. My 62 was my first truck. I was rear ended by a Chrysler Le Baron. I was at a complete stop, she was going about 50-60. Her car was totaled, I still have a scratch on my bumper and green paint on my tow hitch. I agree with the above comments. If you are a safe driver, its not a bad car. That doesn't mean every crash is your fault. It wouldn't hurt to go with an 80. More parts available, safer vehicle, less money, but you can still end up spending a buttload of time working on it. Or, you can just drive it forever. Its a Toyota, it'll run for forever, and then some!

The best piece of safety equipment in a vehicle is the driver.

People these days like to ignore driver inexperience and lack of situational awareness in lieu of ABS, airbags and lane departure warnings. The best way to survive a car crash is to not get in one. Drive defensively, BE AWARE of your surroundings at all times and expect the people around you to do something irrational. Follow those three rules and you will not crash.

For reference, my first vehicle (which I still own) was a 1970 Early Bronco.

Listen, I love my FJ60, no doubt about that. I've owned it for over 20 years. As a first car though, I'd look elsewhere.

You need to remember: 60/62s have no anti-lock brakes, no airbags, no crumple zones and a 60 has no shoulder belts for rear passengers. They get horrible mileage, parts are expensive and often hard to find. They are heavy (2.5+ tons), tippy, terrifically slow, and tend to drip oil everywhere they go.

This is not a beginner's vehicle. Learn to drive. Take a course (my kid went to Masterdrive http://www.masterdrive.com/). Now learn to drive better. Now ask Mom & Dad if they feel that you are ready to drive something like an FJ60. In the meantime, get an inexpensive, reliable car (VW Diesel?) and if you can afford it, a 60/62 as fun project to work on.

I'm really glad you're interested in older Cruisers.

////Now I'm off to yell at some clouds.

Based on the above read...there is not much else to say....
Good luck in finding a good 80 series! You will enjoy it all the same.

Get a Rav4, chicks digEm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom