60/62 Series Parking Brake Handle Rebuild Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRFarmers

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.therustfarmers.com
Hi All-

We are launching a parking brake handle rebuild kit:

Kit is available in Black, Dark Grey, or Dark Brown

Comes with a Molded Handle, Spring, and Knob

462106-Kit.png

Grey Brake Handle rev1.jpg

60 Series Brake Handle First Articles.jpg

Brake Handle in Brown with Relief.jpg

I pre ordered mine a few months ago. Should I expect to see it sometime soon? The dash bezel was perfect so I am excited to get the handle installed.
Joe- Are you coming to Torfab's party? (I may have asked you that) I can bring it to the party, otherwise it will ship out Wednesday. Seth

How does the old handle come off? I'd like to extend the steel portion of my ebrake handle,
anyone got any ideas? Or am I gonna need a new handle once I take the old one off?

How does the old handle come off? I'd like to extend the steel portion of my ebrake handle,
anyone got any ideas? Or am I gonna need a new handle once I take the old one off?
Utility knife, Die Grinder.... These are two methods I employed during R&D

Other option I used was to take the entire assemble out.
Remove the Knob and Spring
Pinch the very end of the plastic handle in a vise.
Man handle the assemble back and forth and pull really hard

Utility knife, Die Grinder.... These are two methods I employed during R&D

Other option I used was to take the entire assemble out.
Remove the Knob and Spring
Pinch the very end of the plastic handle in a vise.
Man handle the assemble back and forth and pull really hard
Mine's split lengthwise, so in my case it'll probably just take a firm twist with a flathead screwdriver to finish it off 😂

Looks great and it's on my list for after the holidays.

I’ll be ordering your new grip handle...great replacement part, but a few follow-up installation questions first:
(1.) You can remove the old knob & spring with out removing the grip first?
(2.) Removing the entire assembly seem to be the best ticket. So after removing the old grip with a utility knife, grinder or bench vise the new handle grip slips cleanly & firmly over the metal lever and locks securely in place?
Seems somewhat crude, but if necessity is the mother of all invention I’m all for it…my compliments to the chef!

I’ll be ordering your new grip handle...great replacement part, but a few follow-up installation questions first:
(1.) You can remove the old knob & spring with out removing the grip first?
(2.) Removing the entire assembly seem to be the best ticket. So after removing the old grip with a utility knife, grinder or bench vise the new handle grip slips cleanly & firmly over the metal lever and locks securely in place?
Seems somewhat crude, but if necessity is the mother of all invention I’m all for it…my compliments to the chef!
1) Yes you can remove the old knob and spring before removing the grip. I've installed this part on a FJ62, HJ45, and BJ70.

2) New Handle Grip is a PITA to install. The spec was 100 ft-lbs of pull force to remove it, so it doesn't go on easy.

**** DISCLAIMAR: Warning this install method has the potential to hurt you. Scalding water is involved, you can get burns if not using proper PPE ***

So a call out of thanks to Kurt at SOR. He and I spent an hour trying to install the first handle grip with me, I wish I had taken a video....

Install method 1:
1) Place Emergency handle steel mechanism in a vice, careful not to crimp the metal in on itself.
2) Boil Water
3) Remove water and place plastic grip into water for three minutes
4) Spray Windex on metal housing where grip will reside (just a little bit)
5) Remove grip with tongs as to not burn yourself on the water and seat on metal housing, ensure the orientation is correct on the Y-Axis (It's a PITA to twist when it's on the metal housing)
6) Using a dead blow hammer, rubber or wood mallet, tap the handle on. If you hit it too hard you will mar the plastic (I didn't do this, but we aren't trying to break rocks on a chain gang) As the handle seats, you will observe the gap reducing between the knob opening and the end of the metal frame.
7) Install spring and knob.

Install 2:
Follow Steps 2-4
5) Put a smooth piece of wood on a hard surface
6) Remove grip with tongs as to not burn yourself on the water and seat on metal housing, ensure the orientation is correct on the Y-Axis (It's a PITA to twist when it's on the metal housing)
7) Holding the metal housing strike the grip against the wood multiple times, driving the grip onto the metal frame, until the grip seats
Of the two methods this is my preferred method for install. I am bit of a Neanderthal.

I'm on the fence if I include install instructions as I don't want a lawsuit like McDonalds did with their hot coffee..... I trust the wisdom of people on MUD.

Last edited:
BRILLIANT, extremely clever and skillful!…he (I) responded with a tone of reservation in his voice. However, the convincing honestly in your final paragraph will more than likely convince me to purchase this ”eventual & doomed obsolete part”. After all, one can’t expect to drive the same vehicle for 35 years and not recognize BRILLIANCE in its most obscure form…congrats on a well thought-out product!

1) Yes you can remove the old knob and spring before removing the grip. I've installed this part on a FJ62, HJ45, and BJ70.

2) New Handle Grip is a PITA to install. The spec was 100 ft-lbs of pull force to remove it, so it doesn't go on easy.

**** DISCLAIMAR: Warning this install method has the potential to hurt you. Scalding water is involved, you can get burns if not using proper PPE ***

So a call out of thanks to Kurt at SOR. He and I spent an hour trying to install the first handle grip with me, I wish I had taken a video....

Install method 1:
1) Place Emergency handle steel mechanism in a vice, careful not to crimp the metal in on itself.
2) Boil Water
3) Remove water and place plastic grip into water for three minutes
4) Spray Windex on metal housing where grip will reside (just a little bit)
5) Remove grip with tongs as to not burn yourself on the water and seat on metal housing, ensure the orientation is correct on the Y-Axis (It's a PITA to twist when it's on the metal housing)
6) Using a dead blow hammer, rubber or wood mallet, tap the handle on. If you hit it too hard you will mar the plastic (I didn't do this, but we aren't trying to break rocks on a chain gang) As the handle seats, you will observe the gap reducing between the knob opening and the end of the metal frame.
7) Install spring and knob.

Install 2:
Follow Steps 2-4
5) Put a smooth piece of wood on a hard surface
6) Remove grip with tongs as to not burn yourself on the water and seat on metal housing, ensure the orientation is correct on the Y-Axis (It's a PITA to twist when it's on the metal housing)
7) Holding the metal housing strike the grip against the wood multiple times, driving the grip onto the metal frame, until the grip seats
Of the two methods this is my preferred method for install. I am bit of a Neanderthal.

I'm on the fence if I include install instructions as I don't want a lawsuit like McDonalds did with their hot coffee..... I trust the wisdom of people on MUD.
No instructions, avoid the potential BS.

I found a fairly easy way to get the Rust Farmers replacement handle on! First, Kudos to @TRFarmers for this. I've waited a loooooong time for someone to bring an e-brake grip replacement to the 60!
I used a soft hammer, a 2x4, and 70% rubbing alcohol. It worked way easier than I expected. I rinsed off the mechanism with water afterwards! It took so little time with this method!
Gentlemen, we are one step closer to world peace now...

IMG_6131.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom