4Runner - Purchase? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if you saw this one, not the cleanest though:

Not sure if you saw this one, not the cleanest though:

Yessir, I had seen that one. Unfortunately the 3.0 V6 did not come with the RF1A transfer case. And I'm looking for as "rust free" as I can find. Probably a Texas, Arizona, or New Mexico truck.

Look in the PNW as well. Not much rust up there.

Yessir, I had seen that one. Unfortunately the 3.0 V6 did not come with the RF1A transfer case. And I'm looking for as "rust free" as I can find. Probably a Texas, Arizona, or New Mexico truck.
E0F2FC9C-CB8D-4B58-8BC0-C0CAC7CFE1E1.jpeg

I am thinking about this 1988 4Runner for sale in Houston.

Zelaya Auto

I spoke with the seller, and he was forthright about rust on the driver's side fiberglass top and rear fender flare. You can see the rust in the photos. I actually appreciate that more than a covered-up respray. At least with original paint, peeling clear coat, and surface rust I know what I'm getting into.

He also mentioned spongy brakes. Anything specific I should look out for?

4-Runner-Red.jpg

Yes, it has the 3.0, which I'm not crazy about. But the R150F is an arguably stronger transmission than the W56. And adapter plates are readily available for the R150 to RF1A. Hell, I think Marlin and Mike Czajkowski both run an R15X transmission and RF1A t-case(s). Also, the 3.0 is a good candidate for an engine swap!

Last edited:
Looks pretty solid. Curious about accidents as the gate badges are incorrect location.
Imo price is a bit steep. But people are simply paying way too much for these.

CarFax is included on the website. No accidents in the vehicle history report. But good eye on the gate badges. "EFI", "V6" and "SR5" are supposed to be on the bottom left.

OEM
Badges.jpg

Badges-2.jpg

Houston
Rear.jpg

Also, the rear bumper is tweaked on the passenger side.
Tweaked.jpg

Not every repair is report to carfax. My work truck hit a deer this year and it ain't on car fax because the company paid out of pocket to fix it.

Idk why people are so up on carfax. Its completely worthless.
Not every repair is report to carfax. My work truck hit a deer this year and it ain't on car fax because the company paid out of pocket to fix it.

I'm not advocating for CarFax reports. I'm just sharing facts/information.

I was more stating, I didn't mean that directed towards you but more as general statement for those who trust them too much

10-4. Great info guys. The relocated badges and tweaked rear bumper are a dead giveaway - the truck has been smacked in the rear. Rear tailgate probably repaired/repainted. I'll be diligent to get under the truck and inspect the frame at the rear.

The red 4Runner is way overpriced; condition is OK at best. Auto's tend to sell for less as they are not as desirable.

If you do check it out, bring a flashlight (even if at noon).

Seeing how the 4runner was most likely hit in the rear, I'd open the side interior panels gaining access to the jack and storage. A body shop could have covered up prior damage, or hidden rust in the rear quarters.

The red 4Runner is way overpriced; condition is OK at best. Auto's tend to sell for less as they are not as desirable.
If you do check it out, bring a flashlight (even if at noon).

Seeing how the 4runner was most likely hit in the rear, I'd open the side interior panels gaining access to the jack and storage. A body shop could have covered up prior damage, or hidden rust in the rear quarters.

The seller sent me more photos. I'm going to pass. It has more rust than was initially disclosed. Windshield frame edge, quarterpanels, rear tailgate, etc. Plus it's been smacked in the rear. And it's overpriced. Saves me a trip to Houston.

The search continues.

In the interim, I have been occupying my time dreaming about a Doomsday Diesel OM617 swap.

We can get into the semantics of which particular year model and options were best, but my challenge right now is to find a solid source for clean 1st gen 4Runners.

I scour Craigslist, AutoTrader, EBay, Instagram, and all the forums (Mud, 4Runners, T4R, YotaTech, Pirate, Marlin, etc).

Unfortunately the pickings are slim. And most classifieds ads are over a year old on the forums. Where do you guys look for good used 1st gen 4Runners?
Have you joined the 1st gen 4runner and pickup facebook groups? And also facebook marketplace. They are very very good sources for these toyotas. I would highly suggest it, I've recently purchased 2 complete R151F turbo trannys and t-cases between those 2 fb groups. I can send you links if need be bud.

Have you joined the 1st gen 4runner and pickup facebook groups? And also facebook marketplace. They are very very good sources for these toyotas. I would highly suggest it, I've recently purchased 2 complete R151F turbo trannys and t-cases between those 2 fb groups. I can send you links if need be bud.

I have indeed. You're right, FB is a really great resource.

I'm looking at this 1989 on Craigslist. It's got some sort of engine misfire. I'll get video of the engine running soon.
1989.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom